Add lightness and simplify

formerlyknownasBT

I acquired this no-nonsense pram, something that's practical and built for outdoor adventures, not unlike an old-school defender. We had two options on the table: the Out n About, a proudly British creation that's as rugged as a Land Rover, and the Mountain Buggy, which had a bit more of that 'insta-worthy' factor, albeit at a slightly higher price - More akin to a BMW X5.

After giving both a proper test drive, we settled on the Out n About because it folds up with the ease of a well-engineered piece of kit. Both prams sport chunky tires and enough ground clearance for some countryside jaunts.

Once we got our hands on the Out n About, it became evident that it oozed practicality, much like a no-nonsense Defender. But there was this 'toddler seat' thing that wouldn't see any use for the first six months, and it seemed like an unnecessary addition that added some weight.

Embracing the philosophy of 'add lightness and simplify,' I embarked on the mission to rid the pram of the toddler seat, and it turned out to be a piece of cake, thanks to straightforward design choices. In the end, I saved 1.1kg, which should undoubtedly improve the pram's handling during our forthcoming adventures.

To begin with, the toddler 'seat' is just hanging down beneath the cot. Looks like a big black bin bag. 

PXL_20240121_105245847.MP

Without the cot, this is what is being removed, as for the first six mouths the baby will be in the cot, so the toddler seat isn't needed. 

PXL_20240121_105223455.MP

The bare chassis - I added a lightweight shopping back at the bottom. As it's at the bottom, if we need to put in tins of beans, itll lower the centre of gravity of the buggy. 

PXL_20240121_111823527.MP

Saved 1.1 kg

PXL_20240121_112355337.MP PXL_20240121_112359942.MP

Finished. In Summer roof down mode

PXL_20240121_111854648.MP

In 'roof up' mode

PXL_20240121_112447268.MP

• Haha 3

When the nipper has grown out of the pram phase make sure whatever pushchair you use folds flat enough for when they want to sleep. You’d be surprised how many don’t and you don’t want a grumpy as fuck kiddo that can’t sleep when you’re out and about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, formerlyknownasBT said:

Finished. In naked mode

PXL_20240121_111854648.MP

With the fairing attached.

PXL_20240121_112447268.MP

Fixed.

• Haha 1

Looks like a great project. I reckon Gilles variobars for added pushing comfort with Ohlins and Brembo upgrades to ensure decent handling and enhanced stopping ability. You don't wanna be outbraked into the Sainsburys baby aisle. 

2 hours ago, Lee said:

Looks like a great project. I reckon Gilles variobars for added pushing comfort with Ohlins and Brembo upgrades to ensure decent handling and enhanced stopping ability. You don't wanna be outbraked into the Sainsburys baby aisle. 

Yeah, the shocks do look like they are off a modern day parallel twin. I'll be phoning Maxton for a re spring to the baby weight. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CMSMJ1 said:

Don't forget to get a sling.  Fuck prams and shit for just getting about.  A sling is a wonderful thing and so easy.  

Had one of those for my daughter but I never quite trusted it.

39 minutes ago, David W said:

Had one of those for my daughter but I never quite trusted it.

There's many types and styles - the local "slingers" group hooke dus up with some to try before we bought.  For the young baby it was almost like a wrap but I honestly would never have had so many cool times out and about if a pram was all that we had.

I can't think that I used a pram/buggy thing at all - I used the slings even when he was odl enough to walk and toddle - when he was tired, wanged him into it and off the sleep.

Honestly thought it was the best thing to also get some time - as babies don't want blokes, they want mummy.  

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Am7MCS-y66UyhXHfzkrJn4RRyq-C?e=kByZMH

Can't make that embed - but laddo a few months old and we're out tramping around Goyt reservoir

Bit older and still living the dream - can't go walking in the peak with a pram.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Am7MCS-y66UyhCMkUV-kOZOJjNE_?e=54nHAH

More of a structured sling - than a piece of fabric.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Am7MCS-y66UyhBtzZDjTLNvGlPUm?e=Jcuccn

• Thanks 1

Those prams are the only ones that are worth it. We went through a load until we ended up with one and it was a revelation. The only thing I'll suggest is to mousse the innertubes, as it is amazing how many punctures you get and what a massive pain in the arse when it happens at the furthest point from home/car and the small person has a poonami or general meltdown...

One other thing for the winter, is bar muffs. Just like you average despatcher, these are brilliant, as are attachable drinks holders as well.

I don't miss the pram days, but when you finally get to the stage they refuse to get in it and want to walk everywhere at 0.5miles per day, then you realise how good it was when you could just lob them in and go.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I replaced the front wheel bearings in our double Bugaboo (6mo twins) at the weekend. 40+ miles a week, and months of repeated submersion in deep puddles on our walking routes have taken their toll. 

I’ve also fitted it with front and rear lights, carabiners for shopping bags, twin cup and phone holders, and a fleece-lined handlebar muff. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Mr.Incredible said:

I replaced the front wheel bearings in our double Bugaboo (6mo twins) at the weekend. 40+ miles a week, and months of repeated submersion in deep puddles on our walking routes have taken their toll. 

I’ve also fitted it with front and rear lights, carabiners for shopping bags, twin cup and phone holders, and a fleece-lined handlebar muff. 

Lights and reflective tape are a great shout, as are the carabiners. My Mrs put those on ours.

16 hours ago, Mr.Incredible said:

carabiners for shopping bags

I can't see you getting much shopping in a carabiner?

😀

16 hours ago, Mr.Incredible said:

Forty miles a week pushing a double buggy is fucking impressive. 

4 hours ago, Lee said:

Forty miles a week pushing a double buggy is fucking impressive. 

She’s mental. An hour’s walk after brekkie and another before dinner. Every day, no matter what. Weather is dressed for appropriately. Even the dog finds it all a bit intense. I tend to stay at home while all this is going on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr.Incredible said:

She’s mental. An hour’s walk after brekkie and another before dinner. Every day, no matter what. Weather is dressed for appropriately. Even the dog finds it all a bit intense. I tend to stay at home while all this is going on. 

Fair play. A great way to keep fit. 

On 1/21/2024 at 11:25 PM, CMSMJ1 said:

Don't forget to get a sling.  Fuck prams and shit for just getting about.  A sling is a wonderful thing and so easy.  

For strapping the baby to you or for firing the baby to it's next destination? Asking for a friend who works in safeguarding...

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been out for the first test drive. 

It was only a short walk, however it's clear the acceleration and braking performance has improved. One thing though, the suspension is clearly set up for a heavier pram, I may need to adjust the sag. But out on the open pavement the ride comfort was still sufficient for the rider to fall asleep. 

IMG-20240207-WA0008~2

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, CMSMJ1 said:

How's the cornering potential?  Have you tried any camber changes?

Camber on the front is going to be interesting

We had this Chariot Trailer when the kiddo was small. Different wheels and attachments to be a jogging buggy, trailer, push chair, etc. Towed her around for miles in it.

DSCF0011

• Like 1