griffith vs mountain

hawkati

4 hours ago, hawkati said:

ooh - and a de tomaso mangusta too. Luvverly!

That Mangusta has got something going on with the engine... It doesn't sound like the Ford V8 that should be fitted in there.

Trick exhaust setup, or a flat-plane crank maybe? :eusa_think:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmeeh said:

That Mangusta has got something going on with the engine... It doesn't sound like the Ford V8 that should be fitted in there.

Possibly a starsky & hutch soundtrack ?😂

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2024 at 8:55 PM, Jimmeeh said:

Almost sounds like a DFV on the overrun.

• Like 1

It does sound very fit. The tail pipes are right next to each other which makes it sound more high pitch. Not a flatplane crank, just a well worked small block ford v8.

• Like 2

I had a Griffith 500. It sounded amazing, but not quite as good as that one!

European Mangustas had the HiPo 289 from the work Shelby did, lots of revs and a high compression ratio meant they screamed for a US V8.

Like everyone else they subsequently fell out with Carroll attempting to fleece them, hence the 'mongoose' name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IforB said:

I had a Griffith 500. It sounded amazing, but not quite as good as that one!

The Griffith in the OP has the 289 Ford, again rather heavily worked in this case. 

Quite a bit different to the warmup up Rover lump in the Griffith 500.

11 hours ago, Superdunc said:

The Griffith in the OP has the 289 Ford, again rather heavily worked in this case. 

Quite a bit different to the warmup up Rover lump in the Griffith 500.

Do you know the difference in bare engine weight?

The basic Rover lump may be short on initial cubes in comparison to a 289 but it's got to be a good chunk lighter.

8 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

Do you know the difference in bare engine weight?

The basic Rover lump may be short on initial cubes in comparison to a 289 but it's got to be a good chunk lighter.

The Rover is lighter, but not amuch as you would think. The 289/302 ford small blocks were a really clever piece of design. They used new casting processes that made it significantly lighter than other Iron block v8s of the time.

Add aluminium heads and intake, with magnetic paint, Ahem, and there isnt much difference at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Superdunc said:

The Rover is lighter, but not amuch as you would think. The 289/302 ford small blocks were a really clever piece of design. They used new casting processes that made it significantly lighter than other Iron block v8s of the time.

Add aluminium heads and intake, with magnetic paint, Ahem, and there isnt much difference at all. 

Does magnetic paint exist for the reason I think it does?😄

26 minutes ago, Superdunc said:

A bit of digging suggests about 35-40 kilos difference in the bare/dry standard engines which is a lot less than I thought.

I didn't realise there was an ally block version of the 289 made either but then I doubt you'll stumble on one of those in an old hot rod project from ebay.

I once bought a very low mileage Rover V8 engine for £67 from ebay and the bloke (who only lived 15 miles from me) was absolutely gutted but still honoured the deal. I sold it for £360 a year later and was delighted but that seems stupid now!

Mind you, if I was ever to be in the position of wanting a superlight V8 for a hill climb car I'd probably be getting on the phone to Radical. B)

3 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

A bit of digging suggests about 35-40 kilos difference in the bare/dry standard engines which is a lot less than I thought.

I didn't realise there was an ally block version of the 289 made either but then I doubt you'll stumble on one of those in an old hot rod project from ebay.

I once bought a very low mileage Rover V8 engine for £67 from ebay and the bloke (who only lived 15 miles from me) was absolutely gutted but still honoured the deal. I sold it for £360 a year later and was delighted but that seems stupid now!

Mind you, if I was ever to be in the position of wanting a superlight V8 for a hill climb car I'd probably be getting on the phone to Radical. B)

No alloy blocks for the 289, but aftermarket alloy heads and intakes are pretty common.

Really no reason to use a Rover these days. The heads are really poor for producing power.  Dozens of better options.

24 minutes ago, Superdunc said:

No alloy blocks for the 289, but aftermarket alloy heads and intakes are pretty common.

Really no reason to use a Rover these days. The heads are really poor for producing power.  Dozens of better options.

Ah yes, it seems these are all aftermarket blocks from the likes of Shelby.