Bit quiet in here.

DougW

Bit quiet in here.

Nothing much to report, RD350LC (Original 4L00 carb with 160 mains standard) went up from 170 to 180 main jets and it seems to rev a bit higher and harder, plugs still light brown so got some 190s in last night , we might get a clear , dry , salt free day sometime ?

A set of NOS LEDAR needle jet nozzles for that are hopefully on there way , need to ride it with the 190s before seeing what effect they have and start playing with jets and needles all over again.

YPVS 390 build has slowed right down, really need to get it out of the loft before fitting the engine, the replace the shed with a bigger secure one project to free up space in the workshop has also stalled.

( Waking up the old GSXR11 is taking up most of my enthusiasm and energy )

• Like 5

Sorry, only 4-strokes at the moment, but I used to own a lot of differing 2-strokes, mostly for racing :)

• Like 1

I have a dkw rt200, which is currently in many many parts, trying to get some bits to the power coaters, and have a cunning plan in my head for the engine.

Edited by noely02
  • Like 3

I need to get the tdr running right over winter so I can sell it in the spring. Then need to finish the 250LC restoration that has been too many years in duration already!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DougW said:

enthusiasm and energy

What are these? And where can I get some?! 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My TDR needs a new crank. I removed the engine about 2 years ago and it is languishing in a plastic box in the utility room. I have bought a new Yam crank but the only person I really trust to do the job lives far away and I haven't had the time to cross the sea to visit. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jenny Pryde said:

My TDR needs a new crank. I removed the engine about 2 years ago and it is languishing in a plastic box in the utility room. I have bought a new Yam crank but the only person I really trust to do the job lives far away and I haven't had the time to cross the sea to visit. 

2years.

Amateur!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Jenny Pryde said:

It's not too bad a job to strip down the engine and replace the crank. Two stroke simplicity rules.  Torque wrench, patience, and a leak down test at the end.

Depends whether you have the space to do it I suppose, but it is quite satisfying to do. 

I've not done a TDR, admittedly, but have rebuilt the LC quite a few times over the years I've had it.

• Like 1

Hairy muff.

There are some good methodical rebuild guides around (I'm sure I've got one for the TDR somewhere) but also appreciate that handing it off to someone who will do it in a fraction of the time (and with none of the stress) is an attractive option!

It is more about facilities really. We have some rebuilding work to do on the house, stuff will go in the shed and space is at a premium.

Plus, for the crank rebuild, I want to get it done once and done right. That means taking it to someone with proper skills.

• Like 2

genuinely looking to offload my gag bikes (again) and even the 125LC
I will keep the CR250 and N1 and MC28 Rothmans for now though, but last time i rode a stroker was the MC28 in the summer. 

The N1 is going to Dave (NuttsNuts) in early Jan for an engine refresh, i know i could do it myself, but am sure its in better hands with him and he is more likely to get the best from it. 
I can then just get on and ride it after. 

• Like 5

Not touched the 7up LC in ages. 

Started to build a lightly modified 250LC to use up some of the spares that are lying around.

Only ridden "my 350LC" 3 times this year :mad:. that needs the head swapping back to a standard one but I need to finish one of the others above first. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CRM said:

The N1 is going to Dave (NuttsNuts) in early Jan for an engine refresh,

My wife reckons I should keep the lc. If I do I'd like to get it to Dave to be set up with some mid range pipes. He's had some great results with then in the past. 

I don't think you'll be disappointed once he's fettled it!

24 minutes ago, Tom Mac said:

Not touched the 7up LC in ages.

Did you get it running again? I can't recall.

My eldest lad is 16 and has disappointed me in not wanting a 50cc (not really disappointed me, he great! But you know what I mean!).

My youngest is 13 this year and thinks his brother's mental for not getting straight on two wheels. I've got a couple of years to nudge him towards some Italian supermoto 2 stroke (something like an Aprilia SX50 maybe). Actually might not take that much nudging! If my health allows it I might suggest we get one to do up 18mths before he can ride it. It's what my Dad did with me, and my Fizzie.

Of course, he might change his mind and I'll have two sons not interested in bikes!

The both used to love riding their PWs when they got the chance. But that was a long time ago now. 

Edited by Ringding

2 minutes ago, Tom Mac said:

Nope, not even put oil and petrol in it yet.

I remembered you took it to a show (I think) but couldn't recall if it was running. 

There's no rush! 😊

8 minutes ago, Ringding said:

I remembered you took it to a show (I think) but couldn't recall if it was running. 

There's no rush! 😊

Yeah I took it to the CMM show in Stafford a few years ago. 

No major rush but I would like to get it finished and actually ride it.

• Like 2

Still got my Honda RS125 nf4 GP in FCC colours tucked up in the corner, despite taking a hefty deposit off a buyer about 10 months ago, with the words, i cant pick it up for a couple of weeks, no problem says i,  so here we are 10 months and several texts later, and not a peep out of him,  so i, iv'e had a chunk of storage money, still got an RS125 that i'm not that fussed about selling, and hopefully going up in value a little the longer it sits. Has he fallen off the edge of the planet, has he popped his clogs, has he run out of vongers?. I dont know and i aint gonna go chasin him any more, cos i still got my little baby.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tom Mac said:

Yeah I took it to the CMM show in Stafford a few years ago. 

No major rush but I would like to get it finished and actually ride it.

I thought it was about 95% finished?

I have a catalogue of excuses if you need one. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bignige said:

I thought it was about 95% finished?

I have a catalogue of excuses if you need one. 😁

Yeah 95% is about right. Or it was until I bought a close ratio gearbox for it which means an engine strip down.

Also I want to modify the swinging arm slightly.

If I can get the 250lc a bit closer to being on its wheels then I can move it out of the way and actually get to the 7up and possibly even work on it.....

Maybe...

I'm guessing your LC hasn't progressed recently?

Edited by Tom Mac
Stuff

1 hour ago, Tom Mac said:

Yeah 95% is about right. Or it was until I bought a close ratio gearbox for it which means an engine strip down.

Also I want to modify the swinging arm slightly.

If I can get the 250lc a bit closer to being on its wheels then I can move it out of the way and actually get to the 7up and possibly even work on it.....

Maybe...

I'm guessing your LC hasn't progressed recently?

This isn't about me 🙃

I really need to sort my shit out

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ringding said:

My eldest lad is 16 and has disappointed me in not wanting a 50cc (not really disappointed me, he great! But you know what I mean!).

My youngest is 13 this year and thinks his brother's mental for not getting straight on two wheels. I've got a couple of years to nudge him towards some Italian supermoto 2 stroke (something like an Aprilia SX50 maybe). Actually might not take that much nudging! If my health allows it I might suggest we get one to do up 18mths before he can ride it. It's what my Dad did with me, and my Fizzie.

Of course, he might change his mind and I'll have two sons not interested in bikes!

The both used to love riding their PWs when they got the chance. But that was a long time ago now. 

Try and get something using the Derbi motor, it's a much better engine/gearbox, with more potential.

• Thanks 1

Did about 40 miles with the 190 mains in yesterday, its now got the trademark 350LC 6000 rpm slight stumble if you use full throttle , absent if you back off the throttle a little.

It didnt have it on the 180s (that I noticed , anyway).

So I'm thinking its a little rich, runs perfect apart from that slight stumble, I`m happy with that .

LEDaR needle jet Nozzles  should be arriving today , will be interesting to see what effect they have. 

• Like 2

My first bike was a 2T:  an rd350 f2

I fitted some micron spannies to it, it sounded amazing and went like the clappers.  

Until it siezed because i didn't know about rejetting, so hadn't.

I didn't really know anything about bikes, so my best mate who knew a bit helped me to strip it.

We knew it wasn't good when we took off an expansion pipe and tipped bits of piston out of it.

Well it could be worse he said.  It was, we then spotted the conrod sticking out of the case.  Ahhhh.

So I bought a 2nd hand engine from a breakers and we fitted it.  That went quite well for a while until coolant leaked into the gearbox.

I decided that was enough of 2T's.  

But I'd love another one now I know what I'm doing.  Shame I don't have the room for a second bike, I'd love to have one now.

• Like 3

On 10/21/2023 at 12:47 PM, Jenny Pryde said:

It is more about facilities really. We have some rebuilding work to do on the house, stuff will go in the shed and space is at a premium.

Plus, for the crank rebuild, I want to get it done once and done right. That means taking it to someone with proper skills.

Pjme did mine and rebored 2 sets of barrels.

Just dropped the crank into the cases and followed the workshop manual.

Took an afternoon to do...took my time with it as well. Had never rebuilt a engine before. Was surprisingly easy.

10k miles later and it still hasnt gone bang....yet.

• Like 2

A top-end rebuild is within my comfort zone but my preference is for an actual clever person to split the cases and drop the crank in.

I'm glad yours is running well. I want mine to be running well after 10k too. That's why someone wot is more smarter than me, will be doing it!

Plus, no flywheel puller or case splitter and severe mechanical disability.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:44 PM, Jenny Pryde said:

A top-end rebuild is within my comfort zone but my preference is for an actual clever person to split the cases and drop the crank in.

I'm glad yours is running well. I want mine to be running well after 10k too. That's why someone wot is more smarter than me, will be doing it!

Plus, no flywheel puller or case splitter and severe mechanical disability.

Excuses excuses !

Flywheel puller a few quid.

Horizontal cases on a TDR250 require no case splitter.

Severe mechanical disability, hmmm.... :) 

PS.

On any "Enthusiastically" ridden 2T I'd be at least changing the rings at 10K miles and personally pistons too. A Piston ring pin went awol at just after 10K miles on the 350LC I had from new, had to go up to 1mm rebore to clear the resulting mess.

The pistons in a mate and mine proddie race 250 LC`s used to crack before the rings wore out , but we did completely ignore the red line and rev them till the power dropped off.

Been advised that the porting on the YPVS390 means the rings will probably need replacing at around 5K miles. 

Rings on my KTM250 have been just on the service limit at 100 and 200 hours when the piston and rings where changed.