Fibre Reeds

DougW

Having just had one of the smaller reeds on a two stage carbon reed break close to the base of the reed, I`ve just replaced them with new oem yam steel ones .

First impression is It runs as well or maybe better than it did with the "Dual Stage" reeds.

That's in a 4L0 350LC with YPVS reed blocks squeezed in, lightly tuned and 31K exhausts.

I`m questioning whether to fit anything other than steel in future, or to the current YPVS390 build,  due to ethanol in the petrol.

I always use E5 Shell as a known constant if available, but that's not always available, and have had to put some E10 in on occasion.

Anyone any thoughts on this , or any current long term experience of using any type of non steel reed ?

You might be better talking to muttsnutts on the rd lc forum he is the go to guy for engine builds tuning , dyno set up 😊

• Like 1

Yep , hes supplied parts and done a lot of the work for my YPVS engine, don't like to pester him too much !

I'll post on the RD Crazy forum next.

Is the center rib missing from your reed cages?

On 6/16/2023 at 8:38 PM, Richy said:

Is the center rib missing from your reed cages?

Nope, intact. Reed stoppers in stock position tooimage.png.69163d24d0a72b86987e1857def593b6.png

The smaller outer flap has broken and been pulled through the window in the larger inner petal.

Edited by DougW

They look very thin looking at the daylight coming through the weave, maybe 2 flexible?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richy said:

They look very thin looking at the daylight coming through the weave, maybe 2 flexible?

Possibly. Its definitely revving a bit higher now its back on genuine yam steel reeds and is really crisp.

Its actually leaner too, even colour on both plugs , just a bit darker than "rich tea".

Last time I checked, before the reeds failed, dark brown.

This worries me , it might get some long motorway/A road trips.

Its running the YPVS blocks with original 350 4L00 carbs with the Yamaha Dealer mods and settings and 170 mains listed "for high speed use".

YPVS 31K exhausts.

Some 180 mains have just arrived.

As I have had no response from the polite email I sent the vendor about the reed failure , offering to send the failed reed for inspection , and had no response , I`ll mention its a Showe reed petal set.

• 2 weeks later...

I had harpowa (sp?) two stage in mine for a while and sealed back to standard steel. Seat of the pants dyno said better with the originals, cleaner pick up too.

If I was building one now I'd use YZ250 (I think) fibre reeds. There's a year which will fit if you snip off the third petal. All hazy in my head but I'm sure there are details on RD LC Crazy.

I wouldn't use the standard steel ones for any hard work as I've had quite a few lose corners through fatigue. 

• Thanks 1