Kawasaki AR 50 (93cc) 100mph Challenge

rgvbaz

Evening all 😃

Just wanted to share my AR50 100mph challenge I am doing in homage to the Practical Sportsbike series of articles published about 10 years ago where they tuned a 93cc AR to get to 100mph.

I'm trying to complete the challenge myself and documenting it on my YouTube channel here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb2xMrRCECgmzT7fhoXnQKVCOpZJtxZCl

Slowly getting there but plenty left to do including porting and a pipe.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 9

Shoulda started with an AR125 and fitted a KX engine...maybe given it a snappy title, like ARKX?

• Haha 5

54 minutes ago, Lee said:

The first time I saw an indicated 100 mph was on my 1987 RG125, after the Stan Stephens power valve 'blank' was fitted. 

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

Cool. Mine was on a RG125 FUN once I'd cut the wire from the CDI and cut the pipe open to get the washer out. It flew after that 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rgvbaz said:

I've heard it's been done before... May go down the STD 80 barrel route yet 🤔

My boy raced one in the mid 90's with the JRA, Kawasaki Peterborough done all the porting, had a kx80 up and over pipe and a BDK cdi, all dressed up in an early rs125 fairing and a tz seat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lesviffer 750 said:

My boy raced one in the mid 90's with the JRA, Kawasaki Peterborough done all the porting, had a kx80 up and over pipe and a BDK cdi, all dressed up in an early rs125 fairing and a tz seat.

Cool, sounds nice. Any pics?

What sort of speed did it do?

Dave

I bought a very early, new 83 (Y) AR80 when I was 16. Bought it in Nov and my birthday was in Feb so thought I could get away with until then.

5 days later it was a write off and I was in hospital on traction after a car T boned into my right knee and punted me through Boots window (it had just closed so the staff were still in there). Luckily both side panels smashed off and my dad told plod it was a 50cc so I was ok. I say ok, I was alive, but 12months in hossy, screwed together right leg/hip, unable to walk properly for 18 months.

Still thought the AR80 was cool as fuck though 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, CRM said:

i remember this well, the AR80 holds a dear place in my early intro to bikes and i would love to find another nice bike now. 

subscribed - crack on pal 

Cheers and hope you enjoy 😊

Dave

12 hours ago, Gix said:

I bought a very early, new 83 (Y) AR80 when I was 16. Bought it in Nov and my birthday was in Feb so thought I could get away with until then.

5 days later it was a write off and I was in hospital on traction after a car T boned into my right knee and punted me through Boots window (it had just closed so the staff were still in there). Luckily both side panels smashed off and my dad told plod it was a 50cc so I was ok. I say ok, I was alive, but 12months in hossy, screwed together right leg/hip, unable to walk properly for 18 months.

Still thought the AR80 was cool as fuck though 😁

Ouch! That sounds like a bad one. Did you ever get another?

Dave

2 hours ago, rgvbaz said:

Ouch! That sounds like a bad one. Did you ever get another?

Dave

Nah, went to have a look at what was left of mine and it was bent in the middle like a banana.

When i could ride again, I went racing MX and also 250/350lc's were the thing

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 11:42 AM, CRM said:

i remember this well, the AR80 holds a dear place in my early intro to bikes and i would love to find another nice bike now. 

subscribed - crack on pal 

My first road bike when I was 16 was an 1986 Green, with white and blue stripes AR50, didn't last long before I fitted the AR80 head, barrel, carb, exhaust and rear sprocket (The AR80 rear sprocket centre had to be opened out at work on the lathe as the rear wheel hub centres are different widths), then after a few months I fitted the 93cc big bore kit. Had so many great times on that bike.

No photo description available.

Rgvbaz, If you wasn't aware, the AR50 only had 5 gears where's the AR80 had 6. The only difference was a blanking spacer in place of 6th gear was fitted to the 50 if I remebered right.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 10:57 AM, Gix said:

Nah, went to have a look at what was left of mine and it was bent in the middle like a banana.

When i could ride again, I went racing MX and also 250/350lc's were the thing

MX sounds much safer 🤔😂😂😂.

Less car I guess ☺️

Dave

3 hours ago, bazzer107 said:

My first road bike when I was 16 was an 1986 Green, with white and blue stripes AR50, didn't last long before I fitted the AR80 head, barrel, carb, exhaust and rear sprocket (The AR80 rear sprocket centre had to be opened out at work on the lathe as the rear wheel hub centres are different widths), then after a few months I fitted the 93cc big bore kit. Had so many great times on that bike.

No photo description available.

Rgvbaz, If you wasn't aware, the AR50 only had 5 gears where's the AR80 had 6. The only difference was a blanking spacer in place of 6th gear was fitted to the 50 if I remebered right.

Great pic. One of my regrets is never getting a pic of my AR50... Or the MT5 I had before. Lots of fun though particularly with the 93 kit :)

cheers for the tip. My original bike had the 6th gear fitted when I bought it. The current one didn't but I managed to find the selector drum and two gears to upgrade it. Took some finding as one of the gears was from America. 

went out for a quick blast today:

Cheers

Dave

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I could smell that! 

Had a mate with an AR50 when I had my FS1E. The fun we had. :)

Aren't we about due an update on your speed attempt? ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aaah..... AR50s.

D174XYJ. Mine went all over the place.

It did nearly 60mph!!! Unfortunately it only did this down the Seatoller side of Honister pass. Even at 16 it was realised this was more than a little bit dangerous. It did a maximum of 39 elsewhere. Getting up Honister required 1st gear by the slate mine.

Went to Manchester on it too. Took 9 hours. I wanted to ride it to Spain for my hols that year. 

Then it got robbed.  And burned out. I would still like to set fire to the counts responsible... breathe.

It got rebuilt with an XT engine. This was a tight fit. And not particularly well executed.  But no matter, it was forced into life.  Which was good, cos I'd got no money for any other option.

I did have some tools and mates though.  So it got slab yokes. And at one point 8 piston KR1S brakes acting on the single disk, went back to one 4 pot caliper which was more than enough. A VN 750 chrome headlamp. British racing green, with a TZR flush filler cap sunk in. Micron exhaust. Lots of polished bits.

Won best learner at the Glowing Lamb rally in '95. I still have the trophy. 

After that it got a MZ engine, but this was such a big lump of crankcases I never did get it to work... front wheel or exhaust, but not both. Abandoned to shed then cut up and scrapped some years later. 

I watch progress with interest.  Something of a soft spot for ARs, but I dont want one again no matter how fast it goes.

• Like 1

Sat through and watched all the episodes last night, enjoyed it, clicked all relevant positivity buttons. Looking forward to seeing the attempt for 100mph for sure, where are you thinking of doing it? 

12 minutes ago, Alex_H said:

Sat through and watched all the episodes last night, enjoyed it, clicked all relevant positivity buttons. Looking forward to seeing the attempt for 100mph for sure, where are you thinking of doing it? 

On a private closed road , obviously.