Avgas or super unleaded with additive?

DAMO666

Would like some knowledge from experienced race 2 stroke users re.fuel.

I've bought a Honda RS250 that runs on avgas without issue, however avgas 100LL supply is proving rather difficult.

So, can it be substituted for 99RON unleaded with a Tetro boost additive that would essentially give me a 102 RON, leaded, ethanol neutralised fuel.

The other alternative is leaded 105 RON ethanol free race fuel but this is typically £4 a litre!

Any experience on this would be appreciated.

Only go the U.l route if changes are made to cc vols and probably ign timing too.

if you can get a little avgas then mix it 50/50,it’s a better option than the tetraboost option.

that’s my experience 

• Like 1

Thanks for replies.

I'm in Southport, previous owner was near Fenland airfield so he used to swipe his card, dispense what he needed and it just debited his account. I've no airfields near me who are prepared to do that.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:34 PM, Hayes said:

Isn't there a microlight airfield near the RAF base at Birkdale? 

Microlights tend to run on bog standard unleaded rather than AVGAS.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:58 PM, DAMO666 said:

Thanks for replies.

I'm in Southport, previous owner was near Fenland airfield so he used to swipe his card, dispense what he needed and it just debited his account. I've no airfields near me who are prepared to do that.

Shell Avgas suppliers; https://www.shell.com/business-customers/aviation/ppp.html

Or try these;

City Airport (Barton)

Address: Liverpool Rd, Eccles, Manchester M30 7SA

Phone: 0161 789 1362

Blackpool Airport

Address: Squires Gate Ln, Blackpool FY4 2QY

Phone: 01253 343434

Ravenair - Liverpool Aviation Services

Address: Business Aviation Centre Viscount Drive (General Aviation Area) Liverpool John Lennon Airport, Liverpool L24 5GA
Phone: 0151 486 6161

2 hours ago, bazzer107 said:

Shell Avgas suppliers; https://www.shell.com/business-customers/aviation/ppp.html

Or try these;

City Airport (Barton)

Address: Liverpool Rd, Eccles, Manchester M30 7SA

Phone: 0161 789 1362

Blackpool Airport

Address: Squires Gate Ln, Blackpool FY4 2QY

Phone: 01253 343434

Ravenair - Liverpool Aviation Services

Address: Business Aviation Centre Viscount Drive (General Aviation Area) Liverpool John Lennon Airport, Liverpool L24 5GA
Phone: 0151 486 6161

I used to go to Blackpool or Barton for avgas back in the day (prior to Sept 11th 2001), after this date they wouldn't let you in airside anymore. 

Only reliable place I could get it from was Sleap airfield in Shropshire (also nice cafe on site) just had to make sure if they were flying that day, otherwise the pumps were shut. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 8:17 AM, Rick448 said:

Shame you are so far away, my office sits 100m from 30,000 litres of AVGAS and I manage the fuel farm. Not helpful I know... :(

A litre here , a litre there;)

• Haha 1

Thanks for suggestions.

There is potential with Ravenair at Liverpool, just need to give them some notice before going down there.

I've also spoken to Andy Sawford who built the bike, he set up an NX5 that was originally on avgas to 105 RON leaded race fuel, it just required 2 sizes up on the main jets, so I also have that as an option, albeit £4.62 per litre!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2022 at 12:56 PM, DAMO666 said:

At least I can just admire it until I can get some fuel 😁

image.png.755fdcf7244abcae15dc6bf2a16d550c.png

image.png.a7400345c026883348e75c37ef76d74e.png

image.png.b3773d12aa1e2881f9b4ad9ef862ebde.png

absolute thing of beauty. im sure there will be racers near you who can source avgas. id stick with that if i were you. do you have a good few spares, its the only thing that stopped me going for an rs honda and decided on a 4dp tz.