Fitting a Sigma Sport Bicycle Speedo (Suzuki)

Gixxerthou

Alot of us with TL's have changed gearing from stock. I went +2 (41) on the rear sprocket. Because the TL's speedo reading comes from the countershaft sprocket any change in gearing affects the speedo and the odometer. For an accurate speedometer I've installed a Sigma Sport 1200 bicycle computer. Not only does it give you the acurate speedo it also gives you Max Speed, Avg Speed, Trip Distance, Total Distance, a lap timer (stopwatch) and a clock which comes in real handy. It was quite easy to install, took 45 minutes. You need to buy a small round ceramic magnet, I got mine from Radio Shack, $1.49 for 5 of them.

I epoxied one of the magnets into the hole where the rotor center meets the rotor using a standard 2 part epoxy. Then I mounted the sensor on the inside of the fork leg. I used velcro on the fork leg and on the back of the sensor. See pics below:

bc1.jpg

Close up:

bc2.jpg

Then I ran the cable up the left fork and mounted the base unit onto the mirror brace with the supplied rubber band and a small piece of 5/16 OD gas line underneath it.

bc3.jpg

bc4.jpg

That's all there is to it. It works great.

Copyright The Thumperzone 2008

works out about £100 cheaper than a speedo healer that I once bought from BlackBox Robotics in Oz.

Bargain

• 2 months later...
but from what I've read from it's specs it only reads up to 50 km/h???? is that correct?

Nope - all Sigma's read up to about 183mph (or something heady like that) - I've a Sport 1600 on mine.

I got the cheapest sigma I could find (£9.95 I think) and it stayed within 0.5mph of my sat nav up until about 120, which is good enough for me. The lady in the bike shop wondered what the fuck I was doing when I asked her if they worked past 70mph. I think the limit to them is the fact that the first digit, the one that does the hundreds, isn't capable of doing anything other than a 1, so 199 is the max it'll go to, either in metric or imperial. I don't know what speed they're accurate too, but the answer is probably 'enough'.

both your repplies are enough to me...so I just bough one too :eusa_whistle:

I went for the BC506L simply because I liked the design of it (omg I'm such a poser...:S) since I'm using a TL front wheel there goes the speedo :S....and since my last bikes didn't had a speedo too I find this a really cheap and great alternative

• 7 years later...

Father In law has gone for a wireless GPS Garmin bicycle and reckons its great, this is on a 1960`s 250 two stroke so not sure about reaction time and speed capabilities !

• johnnymack63 unpinned this topic

Archived