Soldering multi strand wires

svingel

Twist them, then solder. Or alternative method "push" the strands into each other, squeeze them between fingers, and then solder? Muchas gracias, and stuff

16 minutes ago, svingel said:

Twist them, then solder. Or alternative method "push" the strands into each other, squeeze them between fingers, and then solder? Muchas gracias, and stuff

Ideally the second. Certain folk will wince at the twisting method, but I do it sometimes. 

Remember to put the loose heatshrink over one of the wires before you join them... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jaycee said:

Ideally the second. Certain folk will wince at the twisting method, but I do it sometimes. 

Remember to put the loose heatshrink over one of the wires before you join them... 

Thanks 😊. What do mean by before?? as if I've ever...😯how did you know?

• Haha 6

Make a mechanical (wires touching) joint, then the solder fixes it together - that’s what I was taught.

You don’t blob solder on the wires to stick them together …

oh no, I never done that ☹️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guzzisti57 said:

Make a mechanical (wires touching) joint, then the solder fixes it together - that’s what I was taught.

You don’t blob solder on the wires to stick them together …

oh no, I never done that ☹️ 

Heat from one side and apply the solder from the other side. That ensures that it runs all the way through and you don't get a dry joint. 

Edited by jaycee
  • Like 2

Strip and fully tin both cable ends with a little extra blob on one of them, slide on the heatshrink, hold tinned ends together in a side-by-side stylee and melt the solder allowing it to flow between the two ends. Hold it all still while the solder cools, slide the heatshrink over the joint so that it sits centrally and shrink.

If you apply so much heat that the insulation melts, you're a useless bell-end and should leave this sort of stuff to those with a brain.

Job jobbed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, svingel said:

Interesting 😃, never seen those before.

Good, now I know you haven’t been looking around in my van…

On 6/12/2022 at 11:20 PM, Damnthistinleg said:

Strip and fully tin both cable ends with a little extra blob on one of them, slide on the heatshrink, hold tinned ends together in a side-by-side stylee and melt the solder allowing it to flow between the two ends. Hold it all still while the solder cools, slide the heatshrink over the joint so that it sits centrally and shrink.

If you apply so much heat that the insulation melts, you're a useless bell-end and should leave this sort of stuff to those with a brain.

Job jobbed.

This is what I do, if you're hanging on your wires enough that you need to hook them round each other or something then use rope instead, it's cheaper. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 12:20 AM, Damnthistinleg said:

Job jobbed.

Brainzzzz

• Haha 1