How to remove needle emulsion tubes from keihin carbs

EXUPDEL

Just had my 94 cbr6 on the dyno, running rich through the bottom and mid. Have been told that its likely the emulsion tubes for the needles have worn. can get replacement tubes as part of a kit

My question is how do I get the needle emulsion tubes out? have tried tapping them from each side with a punch and small hammer. Have tried heating the carb body up and then trying to press them out in a vice.

They don't look threaded and there are no spanner flats anyway. Was told that they could be keyed in because the alignment is important. I have a spare set of carbs I am happy to butcher in order to find a method for removing the tubes before doing the ones on my bike.

Any ideas from the PB Evo massive?

They're threaded, you should be able to get a flat headed screwdriver in the bottom and wind them out.

3.jpg

On 6/11/2022 at 11:41 AM, EXUPDEL said:

Just had my 94 cbr6 on the dyno, running rich through the bottom and mid. Have been told that its likely the emulsion tubes for the needles have worn. can get replacement tubes as part of a kit

My question is how do I get the needle emulsion tubes out? have tried tapping them from each side with a punch and small hammer. Have tried heating the carb body up and then trying to press them out in a vice.

They don't look threaded and there are no spanner flats anyway. Was told that they could be keyed in because the alignment is important. I have a spare set of carbs I am happy to butcher in order to find a method for removing the tubes before doing the ones on my bike.

Any ideas from the PB Evo massive?

On Kawasaki’s of a certain vintage they are a press fit, so heat is the answer.

• Thanks 1

Ok managed to get them out. So the pilot jet and main jet unscrew out. The hole that the needle slides up and down in is a separate jet. Have discovered if you tap it m3 you can put a long screw in it and pull it out with a little slide hammer.

And looks like this when removed.

1428348935_Screenshot_20220615-130337_SamsungInternet.jpg.312f013a5380431d7e8673d52313285a.jpg

It the needle that wears the hole oval over time / high milage. Doesn't seem to be a replacement part from keihin. Luckily for me Factory Pro in America make replacement ones. Ordered a set last night. Hopefully wont be too long before i get them.

Marc's factory Pro ones, according to his info, are a better design, so you should see a decent improvement overall, well into the mid range 

If it was me, I would have been tempted to add his jet kit as well tbh, for the full blown effect😁

• Like 1