Help Needed !!

johnnymack63

Copy of e-mail sent to lat years volunteers, and others who have since been in touch and asked to help out.... 

"This year, following a massive response from people wanting to take part, I was faced with a dilemma to either keep it capped at 30 riders and run the on the road support as I always have, or to cook up another way of doing it that means we can get more people involved, which means more money raised.

I’ve ended up with 45 riders this year (a 50% increase in numbers) which is basically impossible to provide decent support on the road from the back in the broom wagon, so this year as well as the usual “Pit Stop Captains” to organise logistics on the ground with the location and co-ordinate the other people who want to help on the day at pit stops, I will need AT LEAST one van and driver to be stationed at each pitstop on standby to head out onto the route to recover stricken bikes if there are any.

I’ll cover the bit up to P1, but after that, me and Jo in the van with everyones luggage plus the minibus will jump on the motorway and have a steady drive to JoG, aiming to keep ourselves nearby and towards the front of the line of riders, or just infront of it. This way, every rider will in theory not be too far away from support regardless of where they are in the line of riders, which history tells me will be about 4 or 5 hours between first and last riders by pitstop 4 (when we had 30).

So, that’s my simple solution to a difficult problem.

What I’ll need is 5 pitstops at the following locations with the usual trimmings PLUS at least one van and driver on standby.

BeMoto insurance are sponsoring the pitstops this year, so once I’ve got 5 “Pitstop Captains” established, they’ll send out a pop up thing and some other stuff to use which should help.

Pitstop 1 - Cirencester Services (same as always - it works well)

Pitstop 2 - Somewhere between Nantwich and Chester - Precise location TBC, but am happy to be influenced by any local knowledge

Pitstop 3 - Guys Thatched Cottage - Longest Day Challenge without this as a pitstop would be a crime

Pitstop 4 - Gourock ferry terminal - Works a treat

Pitstop 5 - Esso garage Inverness - Last chance for fuel, open 24 hours, amazing scones and other freshly baked grub !

I’ve done the route, and given the amount of riders this year, I’ve made it a bit easier by avoiding nadgery roads on the run up to P1, and the horrific bit between P2 and P3 that was over the Dales is no more. I’m keen to give them all a good chance of making the last Gourock ferry, as that has proven to be a big hit since it was introduced a few years back.

One other thing…..

The riders don’t know this yet, but today I bought a disgusting Honda CBR600 which will travel in the van with me, and will be available to anyone who finds themselves with a terminal bike and are at least north of the border.

I think without overloading you all with too much information, at this stage I’m keen to get at least a “Pitstop Captain” for each pitstop plus a van & driver identified for each one too.

As per previous years, then I’ll set up a WhatsApp group which is a much better way of communicating, especially on the day."

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks again,

JM  

• Like 6

• johnnymack63 pinned this topic

1) gunning to help at Goonrock

2) cbrs are damn good bikes so this one had better be particularly shite!😂

I'm happy helping out at Gourock same as last year. 

• Thanks 1

When I'm back at work Tuesday I'll check if I can borrow the van for the Cirencester stop, hitop boxer with loading ramp ,it gets used regularly for moving bikes around.

Someone remind me the date please

21 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I'm happy helping out at Gourock same as last year. 

The Captain has been emailed to request the use of his facilities again. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jaycee said:

The Captain has been emailed to request the use of his facilities again. 

tumblr_nhlzr8JMYk1qbysf3o5_250.gif

Happy to Help at Cirencester, Have a van, but it's a T5 so probably best you take you chances on the £600 bike :D

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Superdunc said:

Happy to Help at Cirencester, Have a van, but it's a T5 so probably best you take you chances on the £600 bike :D

I will be at Cirencester and will have Rusty my Sprinter and tools.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Superdunc said:

2 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I will be at Cirencester and will have Rusty my Sprinter and tools.

If you chaps are bringing vans do we need a 3rd?

I'm waiting for the boss to come back from holiday to ok the boxer.

10 hours ago, noely02 said:

If you chaps are bringing vans do we need a 3rd?

I'm waiting for the boss to come back from holiday to ok the boxer.

You can never have too many vans !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 7:39 PM, Alex_H said:

Happy to bring the van and some tools etc to pit stop 2 or 3 👍

Can you DM me your details?

• Like 1

Hi John,

I would like to help out at P1 Cirencester, I have a swb T4 van but I think there might be enough already?

Happy to help with anything, morale, bodging stuff, push starts ,etc. Mick

P.S. I sent the same request to you via e-mail 11 May.

Edited by Mountain300
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mountain300 said:

Hi John,

I would like to help out at P1 Cirencester, I have a swb T4 van but I think there might be enough already?

Happy to help with anything, morale, bodging stuff, push starts ,etc. Mick

P.S. I sent the same request to you via e-mail 11 May.

Mick,

You are more than welcome mate, I fully expect that the usual rabble of P1 helpers will be there and a man of your calibre will fit right in. You can help me eat Barrie’s excellent flapjacks.

Will the lovely Lotty be gracing us?

Cal

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

Mick,

You are more than welcome mate, I fully expect that the usual rabble of P1 helpers will be there and a man of your calibre will fit right in. You can help me eat Barrie’s excellent flapjacks.

Will the lovely Lotty be gracing us?

Cal

Probably not, a bit early for her and she might be working. I will probably rock up on a bike😎. Drop me a pm mate as I'm struggling to put a face to the name.

many craps - impossibility of work scenario = no scotlandland jaunt for me. I can only get two days off. Therefore i'll haunt the crew of pitstop 1, the lucky lucky lucky bastards. 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, Mountain300 said:

Probably not, a bit early for her and she might be working. I will probably rock up on a bike😎. Drop me a pm mate as I'm struggling to put a face to the name.

PM sent