GPZ resurrection

Leesey

Well she started really well after I’d set the floats right.

however

she still has no power and is scary to ride due to it being so slow (wouldn’t accelerate up a hill) I’ve had these stupid carbs off around 11 times and cleaned the blessed things and they are still not working. 

it was revving really freely and quickly when I first put them back on (much better than it ever has before) so I really at a loose end with it.

Its not something like a dirty fuel filter or kinked pipe limiting fuel into the carb?

• Like 1

Does it rev up when it's in neutral? It could be the fuel tap on the bottom of the tank that is crudded up with shite from in the tank. 

If you've got a portable fuel bottle I'd run it with the air filter off to check the slides are moving when you bring the revs up. It would eliminate fuel feel issues also. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I assume one (or both) of the diaphrams doesn't have a split in it from being old and dry?

On 2/25/2022 at 9:41 AM, Herr V. said:

I assume one (or both) of the diaphrams doesn't have a split in it from being old and dry?

The diaphragms are all fine I have cleaned the tank which explains where all of the mank in the carbs has been coming from.0C161CA6-1F49-4317-9E95-227B186D20EA.jpeg

2A311F86-43CC-464E-AE31-704624DEACFA.jpegED8215BC-FCD8-494D-B8B9-B46C9AC6E66A.jpeg I then cleaned the carbs and ran it from a secondary gravity fed tank. And it would rev but it but the revs really slowly. 

my mate who is also doing the challenge on a gpz has said he will have a look and clean them. As I’m ready to get rid and not bother.

then to cheer myself up I bled the brakes and checked all the light on the garage queen as I’m taking her for her mot tomorrow. She’s only done 11400 miles and 136 in the last year.

the neighbours are going to hate me when I start her up tomorrow as she has 50mm termis with the straight through link pipe. 

9BB8B5BD-6A92-419E-BB44-44AED4AC6512.jpeg

Edited by Leesey
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Leesey said:

The diaphragms are all fine I have cleaned the tank which explains where all of the mank in the carbs has been coming from.0C161CA6-1F49-4317-9E95-227B186D20EA.jpeg

2A311F86-43CC-464E-AE31-704624DEACFA.jpegED8215BC-FCD8-494D-B8B9-B46C9AC6E66A.jpeg I then cleaned the carbs and ran it from a secondary gravity fed tank. And it would rev but it but the revs really slowly. 

my mate who is also doing the challenge on a gpz has said he will have a look and clean them. As I’m ready to get rid and not bother.

then to cheer myself up I bled the brakes and checked all the light on the garage queen as I’m taking her for her mot tomorrow. She’s only done 11400 miles and 136 in the last year.

the neighbours are going to hate me when I start her up tomorrow as she has 50mm termis with the straight through link pipe. 

9BB8B5BD-6A92-419E-BB44-44AED4AC6512.jpeg

Don't, whatever you do, fail to fix the gpz and use that instead. It will end in tears...Trust me on this eh?

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2022 at 10:31 PM, hawkati said:

Don't, whatever you do, fail to fix the gpz and use that instead. It will end in tears...Trust me on this eh?

She is not being used. She’s only done 11400 miles from new. Then again the gpz has done less than that 

1 hour ago, Leesey said:

She is not being used. She’s only done 11400 miles from new. Then again the gpz has done less than that 

My 996 has around 34k and gets/got used for everything including ldu - that got me 3 points and 4 months of nerve damage in my right hand. I can manage 250 miles without grief on it but 1000 was pure torture.

• Sad 1