Project Jigsaw - LDC22 (Aprilia Pegaso related)

heds954

Firstly a big public thank you to @Gix, for collecting and delivering the bike.

Right, that's the niceties over with.

Here it is, a 1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650. My aim was to find a bike that wouldn't cripple me, that is frugal, and would happily chug along at the national speed limit all day every day. I was originally looking at Bimmer F650's, but they, even second hand are utter shitters at anything approaching double, nay triple, the LDC budget. Also, the cost of spares, both old and new, are also fairly eye watering for the BM's. Knowing that the F650's and Pegasos were both built in the same factory, I started to look for Pegasos. 

By chance, within only a couple of days of my search, a Pegaso popped up on Facebook Marketplace, almost within budget. A tentative conversation was had with the seller, a nice bloke, who was looking to sell up his bike collection because of a hand injury that prevents him from using a clutch. Up until getting the hand injury, he was originally looking to build the Pegaso up and do the Trans Euro Trail, so he'd spent some time bolting the bike together, and he has included a fairly decent sized collection of new parts to fit (braided lines, bearings etc etc).  A tidyish one can be had for about £1500, this is neither tidy, nor £1500.

Behold, as it was in the advert...

lANNdwz.jpg

Bux1zPg.jpg

And here it is, in all its gory, on my drive

4uCTgIf.jpg

And it looks okay, doesn't it? :eusa_think:

Edited by heds954
  • Like 20

As I said previously Heds, I has The Envy. 

If I were you, I'd keep it after. They are proper little back-roads weapons when sorted. Plus they can do that plodding about thing too. 

• Like 1

Well, a cursory look over the bike, and it's already becoming apparent that there's quite a few bodges, things that would otherwise be held in place with screws / bolts, now held together with cable ties, or fucked threads, broken stuff that matter (headlight lens, for example).

Here's a picture of some non descript cardboard boxes, full of 'stuff'

5Pn740d.jpg?1

And here's that 'stuff'

5VL3a5d.jpg

w7p0xuo.jpg

ftAfcu5.jpg

jQQRItr.jpg

j6UONNe.jpg

TNGPY1d.jpg

mslYkDV.jpg

rWBhGYe.jpg

jnGb1zr.jpg

olnSR8Y.jpg

nQiNx3O.jpg

u4E8i1u.jpg

7t9pi0t.jpg

VEMwNBd.jpg

1LyhjOA.jpg?1

New stuff!!

hbY2FN5.jpg

Well, some of it's new. 

Eig08a2.jpg?1

Thankfully, a lot of nut, bolts and clips amongst that lot, as we all know how bloody expensive the small stuff can be!

The current status is that the bike won't start. 

It apparently has a decent enough spark, fuel appears to be getting through, it just won't catch. My initial thoughts are to get the carbs (a pair of Mikuni BST33) serviced, to eliminate that from the conundrum, as they're a known issue of being a bit finicky. I've had to admit that I've got my work cut out, and it's just as well that I bought this with eleven months in hand to get it ready for June 21st next year.

The 'plan', as Gix put it, is to start at one end and work my way to the other. All advice offered shall be ignored gratefully received.

BTW If anyone off here has any Pegaso parts in the dark reaches of their garages that they'd like to donate to the cause, then please get in touch, as I'll need all the help I can get, by the looks of it.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, jaycee said:

As I said previously Heds, I has The Envy. 

If I were you, I'd keep it after. They are proper little back-roads weapons when sorted. Plus they can do that plodding about thing too. 

@Gix may well be along shortly to give his unprofessional verdict.

TBH I have thought, that if I do take to it, I may attempt to do an Aaron Colton to it and Cerakote the bejesus out of it, but we'll have to see.

I'll tell you now, from just wheeling it around my driveway, this aint no 790 Duke! 😬

22 minutes ago, heds954 said:

@Gix may well be along shortly to give his unprofessional verdict.

TBH I have thought, that if I do take to it, I may attempt to do an Aaron Colton to it and Cerakote the bejesus out of it, but we'll have to see.

I'll tell you now, from just wheeling it around my driveway, this aint no 790 Duke! 😬

Heavy? 

1 minute ago, jaycee said:

Heavy? 

I believe it's a similar weight to the 790, just that the weight is much higher up on the Peg.

as the owner of the bike Previously Known As Jigsaw, i happily bequeath you the title ( much in the way james blunt handed over his nickname) 

Very best of luck sir! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, hawkati said:

as the owner of the bike Previously Known As Jigsaw, i happily bequeath you the title ( much in the way james blunt handed over his nickname) 

Very best of luck sir! 

Eep! Sorry, I didn't mean to nick it. 😬

And, thank you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, heds954 said:

Eep! Sorry, I didn't mean to nick it. 😬

And, thank you.

Oh trust me, Unklefukker is a far more appropriate name for my bike now....

You're more than welcome...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When I offered to collect any bike that Heds bought I was also on the look out for one for a mate. I had looked through marketplace and I had spotted this Pegaso and thought for a second '' that's a possible'' . Then I wised up and thought '' who in their right mind would buy a partially built, non running, single cylinder Rotax and then attempt to ride it 2 thousand miles ?''. So I left it at that !

I then logged into PB Forum to a message from Heds, '' I've bought a bike'' '' It's a non running Pegaso, mainly in boxes'' 🤣

To be fair though, 10 months to do it and it could well be a bit of a weapon. Nice seating position, good handling, big tank etc.

I would like to put it back together myself, but I simply don't have the time or space at the moment.

I am sure, Heds will have it sorted in not much time

Edited by Gix
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

@heds954I think I have a decent nick rear shock for one of these. Let me have a look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Superdunc said:

@heds954I think I have a decent nick rear shock for one of these. Let me have a look.

Ta muchly :) 

TBH I haven't seen the condition of the shock that's in it (as it's in a shock sock thingy), but I'd imagine that it's as tired as the rest of the bike.

@heds954

well done, you are at least an engine and exhaust ahead of me 😂

• Haha 1

The valve clearances maybe a cause of non-starting, I had that issue on a lot of my old singles (though not the Peg). I enjoyed riding mine, it was a fun bike.

• Thanks 1

Another victim. Excellent!

Good work Heds, all you need to make that work is an airhawk seat...

(I will get my arse down to the post office when I get the first opportunity!)

Good stuff lumpy! 

Did it come with the rubber mallet or are you taking on the Hawk Mano vs Mano in a club off?

• heds954 changed the title to Project Jigsaw - LDC22 (Aprilia Pegaso related)
8 hours ago, Swarf said:

Oh, snap!! 

2021-07-13_09-38-44

Just done valves on mine, both inlets were below minimum clearance so worth a check. I've got manuals on pdf if you need them too. 👍

I'll keep the valves in mind, ta.

The seller was good enough to pay for a PDF manual for me, but if you have any other suggestions or tweaks, then I'm all ears.

7 hours ago, IforB said:

Another victim. Excellent!

Good work Heds, all you need to make that work is an airhawk seat...

(I will get my arse down to the post office when I get the first opportunity!)

Oh, yeah, it'd help.

Just as well I'm not charging by the day, you've already had it a month. ;) 

4 hours ago, Basil said:

Good stuff lumpy! 

Did it come with the rubber mallet or are you taking on the Hawk Mano vs Mano in a club off?

I'll take that old knacker on, just you watch!!!

61EFTrceKGS._AC_SS450_.jpg

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, heds954 said:

I'll keep the valves in mind, ta.

The seller was good enough to pay for a PDF manual for me, but if you have any other suggestions or tweaks, then I'm all ears.

Which manual mate? Rotax do their own manual for the engine which is a bit of a pain. Look out for water leaking from the pump casing when you get it running, there's a drain hole which lets water out when the seals are shot (also means it can get into the engine!) Mine can be a bit of a pig to get started when the tanks been off, takes a lot of cranking. Also check the drain tubes under the tank as they're aluminium and can get crudded up. Have you tried it off a remote tank? There's also a little filter in the carb t piece.

3 minutes ago, Swarf said:

Which manual mate? Rotax do their own manual for the engine which is a bit of a pain. Look out for water leaking from the pump casing when you get it running, there's a drain hole which lets water out when the seals are shot (also means it can get into the engine!) Mine can be a bit of a pig to get started when the tanks been off, takes a lot of cranking. Also check the drain tubes under the tank as they're aluminium and can get crudded up. Have you tried it off a remote tank? There's also a little filter in the carb t piece.

I've got "OEM_Aprilia_Service_&_Repair_Manual_97-00_Pegaso_(Manual-8140249)".

That's quite a few things to look for. Nope, not tried starting it myself, after fannying around for 4hrs, moving stuff in the garage to find space for the Pegaso, I wheeled it in, sacked it off and went out on the 790. I'm off next week, so I anticipate spending a good portion of that giving the Pegaso a stern talking to (and swearing lots).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heds954 said:

I'll take that old knacker on, just you watch!!!

61EFTrceKGS._AC_SS450_.jpg

Challenge accepted.😈

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, heds954 said:

Bring it, grandad, pick yer best ‘ammer! 🤪

Deploys sistersledge....

• Haha 1

How about you get yourself off down to specsavers my man,, I reckon you should run tyres like that though,,, 😏

11 hours ago, firebeast said:

How about you get yourself off down to specsavers my man,, I reckon you should run tyres like that though,,, 😏

Ahh, I see that my sarcasm was too subtle for you ;)