Refitting brake discs

Rompy McPoot

What a busy boy I am today.

So - the NSR has had the ding taken out of the front wheel, but the chap hasn't refitted the discs. I have the necessary torque wrench, settings, hex key, and gumption. My question is this - should I clean the threads on the bolts, and the threads in the wheels? And which threadlock to use? Blue?

Ok, that's three questions

I thank you again

NB - I have no idea about what size thread cleaning tap to get. The threads and bolts look in good nick - should I be using a chaser rather than a tap?

The only acceptable threadlock for brake discs is seagull cum.

Make sure the seagull is freshly "milked" and that it hasn't been robbing chips from pensioners down the beech as the grease from the chips lessens the threadlocking effectiveness.

Once milked carefully apply the "compound" to the screw using a hammer of your choice, (a 5lb lump hammer works exceptionally well).

Torque the allen bolts by inserting the allen key into the arse of a stray cat, (domestic cats can be used if no feral cats can be found), and tighten until you cannot hold onto the cat any longer. (N.B. more than one cat may be required to complete the job.)

You have not been charged for this advice.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 5:35 PM, Toneale said:

The only acceptable threadlock for brake discs is seagull cum.

Make sure the seagull is freshly "milked" and that it hasn't been robbing chips from pensioners down the beech as the grease from the chips lessens the threadlocking effectiveness.

Once milked carefully apply the "compound" to the screw using a hammer of your choice, (a 5lb lump hammer works exceptionally well).

Torque the allen bolts by inserting the allen key into the arse of a stray cat, (domestic cats can be used if no feral cats can be found), and tighten until you cannot hold onto the cat any longer. (N.B. more than one cat may be required to complete the job.)

You have not been charged for this advice.

:thumbsup:

As I'm allergic to cats, can you suggest any suitable alternatives ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DougW said:

As I'm allergic to cats, can you suggest any suitable alternatives ?

You could use a Honey Badger. Just make sure you have an irresponsible adult on hand to video it & paste it up here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, Rompy McPoot said:

NB - I have no idea about what size thread cleaning tap to get. The threads and bolts look in good nick - should I be using a chaser rather than a tap?

I’d recommend jagermeister

• Haha 1

Depends a bit on the shape of the screws/bolts, but blue Loctite is enough, Green Will spell trouble later down the line. I like to get a little copper slip on the head and the area where the Screw head hits the disc material itself.

Tapping size will almost certainly be M8, but some lunatic manufacturers like M7. So check.

As with anything like this, it's worth owning quality. If you own some tools having a cheap set of taps is worth it, just so that you can confirm what you are looking at. Trouble starts when you decide to use a cheap set for something serious. That thread cleaning tap is really just the bottoming tap from your typical set of 3. pointy, not so pointy, the one that looks flat on the end. Once you have identified what you want, the smart money is to go and buy an expensive set of 3 and they should last a life time without breaking the bank.

You have been warned though, cheap taps and hole correction if it's even a little mullered will lead to extreme frustration and financial agony if you snap one off in the hole.

• Like 2

Shirley more people do up the bolts just by feel. And think the old threadlock, that makes the bolts go tight well before they’re seated, is still good enough?

Or is that a Suzi thing..?

In truth torque right and I've never known one walk out. Even fitted without any locker and the threads lubed, but that is racing application where it's constant observation.

We are mostly talking road here and the manufacturers go belt and braces, 'cause those discs could well see 30k miles. If you are intending to run on road, makes a lot of sense to go to the best standard that you can and then forget about them. 

A lot of us here though, do like to tinker, so I think the idea of making sure that you can get them apart again if you want, yet still have total peace of mind, is probably the ideal.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 426hemi said:

I never use thread lock on anything but I’m always checking things, I would always rather use rocol molybdenum disulphide on anything I use.

I have a tin of the stuff and i lube everything with it. 

I was recomended to use it especially with titanium items, bolts, axles and the like.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Timbo S2 said:

I always clear out the threads, use blue locktight and mark the bolts so I can see if they move. Belt and braces me.

And velcro shoes!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1