XT600e - Battery query

philg

Hi Guys.

I'm progressing nicely with my 2003 XT600e project but I need your combined wisdom about batteries.

The standard bike uses a 12v 8Ah but I would like to run either :-

a) a smaller battery

b) dual/multiple batteries hidden under the tank (non-XT)

So is it possible (safe) to run batteries in fulltime parallel connection ?

I don't know very much about power requirements but I think I need to keep up the cranking power for the electric start (later model with no kickstart), 

I will be running, 

LED lights for dip/main & rear

LED brake light

LED warning lights.

Horn

Electric start

Stock XT charging / reg / regulator

I'm also considering using a Motogadget M-unit (not blue) & momentary buttons.

Cheers all

Phil.

I had a Xt600 tenere years ago, used to dispatch it round that London, track days etc

I went smaller battery and no leccy foot, not sure if it's possible on the later 600e

Sounds like a Litihum battery would do you, the motobatt for your xt is 2.3kg a lip0 is 1.1kg

https://shoraipower.com/battery?type=175&make=381186&model=381268&year=381268

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/yamaha-tech/xt600-lithium-ion-battery-africa-79198

15 minutes ago, ssray said:

I had a Xt600 tenere years ago, used to dispatch it round that London, track days etc

I went smaller battery and no leccy foot, not sure if it's possible on the later 600e

Sounds like a Litihum battery would do you, the motobatt for your xt is 2.3kg a lip0 is 1.1kg

https://shoraipower.com/battery?type=175&make=381186&model=381268&year=381268

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/yamaha-tech/xt600-lithium-ion-battery-africa-79198

Cheers ssray, good CCA but size is the main issue as I will have limited space.

I've been looking at this one https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/extreme-power-series/antigravity-battery-xps-sc-1.html

Yes you can run batteries in parallel, but I think if you are after optimised space you may want to run them in series.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philg said:

Hi Guys.

I'm progressing nicely with my 2003 XT600e project but I need your combined wisdom about batteries.

The standard bike uses a 12v 8Ah but I would like to run either :-

a) a smaller battery

b) dual/multiple batteries hidden under the tank (non-XT)

So is it possible (safe) to run batteries in fulltime parallel connection ?

I don't know very much about power requirements but I think I need to keep up the cranking power for the electric start (later model with no kickstart), 

I will be running, 

LED lights for dip/main & rear

LED brake light

LED warning lights.

Horn

Electric start

Stock XT charging / reg / regulator

I'm also considering using a Motogadget M-unit (not blue) & momentary buttons.

Cheers all

Phil.

My gs1150 had 2 batteries in parallel which I only discovered when they gave up and needed replacing.  Didn’t seem to cause any issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Yes you can run batteries in parallel, but I think if you are after optimised space you may want to run them in series.

That's interesting & something I hadn't considered,  as described, I don't expect the running amps to be high as nearly everything will be LED so my main concern is physical size & CCA.

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

No, he really doesn't want a 24v system.

Two parralel batteries are okay and as lead acid batteries are largely self regulating with respect to charging currents, you shouldn't see any issues. Realistically though, a high quality 12v lead acid battery should deliver all you require.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

Two parralel batteries are okay and as lead acid batteries are largely self regulating with respect to charging currents, you shouldn't see any issues. Realistically though, a high quality 12v lead acid battery should deliver all you require.

He can run several 1.5v’s in series, I should have explained clearer.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

Thanks for the advise on this, electrics are not my strong point, its purely down to hiding the batteries under the tank so size is the driver. a series of lower voltage batteries (totaling 12v output) would be easy to stow but I would need to keep an eye on the CCA values.

Cheers.

Phil.