Turdpot: you bloody useless heap of festering shite!

Herr V.

For those of you who remember or pretend to care, for the 2020 Longest Day Round I resurrected an old GSX750F and after one breakdown (battery) rattled around the loops and festered in the garage for the best part of the year in wait for the 2021 full on LDU proper.

WPrFPgT.jpg

So earlier in 2021 I dragged it out the garage, threw some fuel at it, pumped the tyres up and it coughed into life.

Engaging smug mode I assumed that doing all the hard graft last year meant this years would be a piece of piss, but oh no the fecker is fighting me every step of the way.

The first run out ended in a high pressure Oil leak, a rear tyre bathed in cheapest 10/40W and me bouncing off the road but luckily stay upright.

SekgT8v.jpg

OijLTUW.jpg

The second test run ended very quickly as after a couple of miles the brake lever started to work its way back to the bar so turned around and rode it home slowly, but the good news was the oil leak was fixed.  GLass half full and all that.....

OK so a bit more garage time and a clean up of calliper pistons and some fresh fluid and it's off to meet up with @EXUPDEL and his CBR600 LDU bike, a really great day out saw me getting home after covering 640 miles.  Epic, we're game on.

NphrzFS.jpg

A couple of days later, I roll it out of the garage and there is a couple of oil drops under it. Bollox!  It appears the clutch cover gasket was starting to blow a bit so a quick order to Fowlers parts and with a new gasket in place, a quick hundred miles and all good.

Fast forward a few weeks and my mate Paul Rivers (not on here) comes up to visit for the bank holiday weekend with his LDU NTV 650 in his van (purchased from @IforB) and we have a scorching run out to the coast and back and back for a BBQ.  Next morning Paul and I decide to go and do some more miles but oh no, the Turdpot has other ideas as the gearbox output shaft oil seal is now pissing out oil 🤬

rW3jT3B.jpg

So back onto Fowlers and get one on order which arrives a couple of days later.  I clean up the face of the shaft with some Scotchbrite and degrease the face for the outside of the seal and apply a little 3 bond to that and replace the seal.

On the following Sunday Paul is out on his S1000RR with my youngest on his KTM so I drag the Turpot out to check all is good.  We have a great morning out so when I got home jumped into shorts and got the smoker lit and went to put the bike away to find the centre stand, shock linkage dripping in oil FFS.

By this time I am sure I am on Fowlers Christmas card list for clearing their stock of old shit Suzuki parts as I order another seal.

Seal arrives yesterday and Paul suggests putting a layer of masking tape around the edge of the shaft to protect the "lip seal" when I fit which I do. so wit ha wet forecast I decide to sack work off and get out while the roads are dry.  Stop for a quick check after 50 miles and all good 🙂  Stop again after 130 miles as I need fuel and still all good, so now I am happy so decide to head back via the B645 and B660 and give the old thing a right good spanking.

Big mistake.

Centre Stand and suspension linkage again wet with oil 🤬🤬

So with 36 hours to go before setting off, clearly the output shaft has an issue as I am positive I didn't damage it the second time around, maybe some corrosion on the shaft which didn't polish off with the Scotchbrite is wearing the seal but at the end of the day I am 36 hours away from 2500 miles on a bike with an oil leak.

Having been the victim of a failed oil pressure switch on my 998 which ejected me out the top resulting in a broken hand and concussion (6 days before getting married) I would rather not repeat the experience.

The bloody thing has done over 1000 miles in test rides this year all apart from two have ended with oil on the floor or over the back of the bike, I think it's time to admit defeat with this for now.  We have raised an incredible amount of money this year and i along with some of the others are still fighting their bikes to get them to the line but I am form the opinion that common sense is telling me to park this but I have raised a £1000 and I owe it to those who have given me the money to ride the ride.

The Turdpot is my LDU bike and I want to use but I am not prepared to ride it that distance knowing it has an oil leak.  I'll have another look at it tomorrow after work (plus what I didn't do today but needed to do) and if a quick bodge cannot be made successful then it's the Croc' of shame for me. 

See you all on Sunday and I will remain good humoured whilst you deride my lack of moral fibre and modern bike.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Wot he said. There's no joy in landing on your arse even if it's fir charity. At least I'll have some competition fighting for the Croc!

• Like 1

I am not a Suzuki expert like @Superdunc, but when I briefly had a RF900 I had to drop the engine and split the cases to do the shaft bearing and seal. Now I know an RF isn’t the same engine but it might be similar.

Output shaft bearing  is a split the cases job, seal isn't. 

Sounds like the crank case is pressuring. Check you haven't trapped or pinched the breather in the top of the cam cover.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Wot he said. There's no joy in landing on your arse even if it's fir charity. At least I'll have some competition fighting for the Croc!

Fug off the croc is mine 😂

12 minutes ago, Superdunc said:

Output shaft bearing  is a split the cases job, seal isn't. 

Sounds like the crank case is pressuring. Check you haven't trapped or pinched the breather in the top of the cam cover.

Hi Dunc'

Many thanks, will lift the tank and tank a look.  However, in lifting the tank will I know if I've trapped a breather?

I lifted the tank and took the cam cover off to do valves, but if I remember corrector the breather comes out horizontally from the rear of the cam cover but will check for obvious signs and try to get some more miles on it.

If the seal WAS pressurised and blowing will it still seal if the pressure is removed??????????

I'm not going to get a replacement in time.

2 minutes ago, Herr V. said:

Hi Dunc'

Many thanks, will lift the tank and tank a look.  However, in lifting the tank will I know if I've trapped a breather?

I lifted the tank and took the cam cover off to do valves, but if I remember corrector the breather comes out horizontally from the rear of the cam cover but will check for obvious signs and try to get some more miles on it.

If the seal WAS pressurised and blowing will it still seal if the pressure is removed??????????

I'm not going to get a replacement in time.

The seal should be fine if do find a blocked breather is the issue.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Superdunc said:

Cheers will be out there and striping the thing at "Sparrows Fart"

#lastminute.com 😰

If I turn up on the Beemer I'll get lynched......

10 minutes ago, Herr V. said:

Cheers will be out there and striping the thing at "Sparrows Fart"

#lastminute.com 😰

If I turn up on the Beemer I'll get lynched......

No you won’t.

I'll lynch myself.....

Especially if I go out to the garage in the morning and find a trapped breather, although sat on the sofa with a nice glass of red I am struggling to see how the breather got trapped but we will see.

If I can get the shit heap to Lands End I will be more than happy but not not prepared to break my neck doing it

1 hour ago, Herr V. said:

I'll lynch myself.....

Especially if I go out to the garage in the morning and find a trapped breather, although sat on the sofa with a nice glass of red I am struggling to see how the breather got trapped but we will see.

If I can get the shit heap to Lands End I will be more than happy but not not prepared to break my neck doing it

I'd far rather you made it JoG on a modern bike rather were spat off by an oil covered rear tyre. 

If it is just a breather, that is awesome, but do not risk your neck. 

That's an order! 

• Like 2

More than anything we want everyone to be safe.

Everyone involved has seen the efforts you and others have been putting in this year just to get the bikes running, nobody is going to think any worse of you for changing bike over something that could result in a nasty accident, and that you've been trying to fix for ages.

Anyway, crocodiles are old hat, I reckon we should have a new forfeit...

unnamed.jpg

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, IforB said:

I'd far rather you made it JoG on a modern bike rather were spat off by an oil covered rear tyre. 

If it is just a breather, that is awesome, but do not risk your neck. 

That's an order! 

Yessir boss 🙂 

9 hours ago, TKDMitch said:

More than anything we want everyone to be safe.

Everyone involved has seen the efforts you and others have been putting in this year just to get the bikes running, nobody is going to think any worse of you for changing bike over something that could result in a nasty accident, and that you've been trying to fix for ages.

Anyway, crocodiles are old hat, I reckon we should have a new forfeit...

unnamed.jpg

And it's because of the efforts I have made with this turgid PoS that I want to get it to the start and preferably the end, that is the spirit of the event.

8 years ago, I got highsided out the top of my 998 when the oil pressure switch came apart and drowned the rear tyre in oil, 6 days before my wedding and have no desire to repeat that experience.

I was still suffering from concussion and the broken bones in my hand at my wedding, didn't stop me kicking it straight and riding it to Wales for my Stag day though......

One bike or another I will be at the start and let the piss taking commence, but if I am on the modern bike then at least I won't be carrying 10Kg of tools and oil and will have space for a tailpack.  Every cloud and all that 😊

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Superdunc said:

Hi Dunc'

I've just been out to the garage and sworn at it in the strongest possible manner but I don't think it is the breather.

The breather is a short, straight line to the airbox and isn't kinked and I don't believe crushed by the tank.

kwJQnEx.jpg

The inside of the breather cover is clean and there are no obstructions in the hose

oPeBbE9.jpg

There is some evidence of the gasket blowing a bit but can't see this building pressure in the crankcases to blow oil past the seal

yzQYgna.jpg

So I am guessing it's something else building pressure in the cases rings perhaps but if that's the case then I guess its time to admit defeat and check the tyres on the Beemer 😥

Unless you can see something here?

Thanks for your help

Hmmm.  Doesn't look promising mate. The numerous oil leaks, all point to a deeper issue I'm afraid.  

Run the bike with the breather disconected from the airbox. does it smoke heavily when revved?

I fear you are right.

It initially used a lot of oil but after a while stopped burning it which I thought might of been a stuck ring but as you say I think the issues lies deeper with.

Fired her up on a remote tank and rev the shit out of it but nothing came out of the breather.

Time for the spare 1200 Bandit lump methinks 😂

But not in time for tomorrow 😥

49 minutes ago, Herr V. said:

I fear you are right.

It initially used a lot of oil but after a while stopped burning it which I thought might of been a stuck ring but as you say I think the issues lies deeper with.

Fired her up on a remote tank and rev the shit out of it but nothing came out of the breather.

Time for the spare 1200 Bandit lump methinks 😂

But not in time for tomorrow 😥

Do the ride on the bimmer, stay safe,  return home. Then 1200 with a supercharger for the genuine fully street sleeper experience?

• Like 1