Hydraulic lift

JonnyGixxer

So I’m going to be moving into my new house soon, luckily enough with a garage that is only going to be for my bike. 

I really really hate being on the floor when I work on it so will be getting some sort of life. 

ideally I’d like a hydraulic bench style lift that I can roll it on and lift it up. 
what are these like to use? Presumably still need to use paddock stands on these to enable wheels to come off?

is there a better solution for all round working?

Following as I too have been considering purchasing one. In fact my visit today was to post about plans for making a bike bench from wood instead. Don't hold me to this but I believe the hobby ones (sub 1k price range) are a touch on the narrow side and it can be a struggle to get a paddock to fit on them.

I've got a Sealey (I think) one which is much wider than most. I can check the model number if useful?

32 minutes ago, Harvey Mushman said:

Following as I too have been considering purchasing one. In fact my visit today was to post about plans for making a bike bench from wood instead. Don't hold me to this but I believe the hobby ones (sub 1k price range) are a touch on the narrow side and it can be a struggle to get a paddock to fit on them.

I used to make foldable benches out of 8’ x 4’ 3/4” ply.

2’ high

2’ wide

6’ long

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JonnyGixxer said:

So I’m going to be moving into my new house soon, luckily enough with a garage that is only going to be for my bike. 

I really really hate being on the floor when I work on it so will be getting some sort of life. 

ideally I’d like a hydraulic bench style lift that I can roll it on and lift it up. 
what are these like to use? Presumably still need to use paddock stands on these to enable wheels to come off?

Machine Mart VAT free days are your friend.

If I was going to go hydraulic, I would cut a recess in the garage floor and sink it so it is level.

As it is, I have one of the aluminium/steel foldable benches. It's great and it suits me as it means I can fold it away when not needed.

Only downside is the standard ramp is too short and will catch a belly pan, but my van ramp suits it perfectly

Which issue of PB did Matt Wildee build his own bike bench in? Not hydraulic only a wooden one but maybe something to get you going until you get a hydraulic one?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinkbike1 said:

Which issue of PB did Matt Wildee build his own bike bench in? Not hydraulic only a wooden one but maybe something to get you going until you get a hydraulic one?

Thanks G, couldn't remember which mag I'd seen someone build one in but thought it was Bike or Ride not PB.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JonnyGixxer said:

Has Sir considered an Abba Skylift?

I have the previous version which does pretty much the same thing.

Personally, I prefer it to a ramp.  Not that I've ever had a ramp, but I don't have room for one.

20210329-183106.jpg

Move the bike around the garage, spin it 360 and takes up zero space when not in use.  

Best investment I ever made, worth every single penny, many times over

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyJim said:

Has Sir considered an Abba Skylift?

I have the previous version which does pretty much the same thing.

Personally, I prefer it to a ramp.  Not that I've ever had a ramp, but I don't have room for one.

20210329-183106.jpg

Move the bike around the garage, spin it 360 and takes up zero space when not in use.  

Best investment I ever made, worth every single penny, many times over

Looking at your earlier version,which I haven't noticed in the past, it looks like it's similar to the normal wheeled low level lifts for yank shite, with matching box sections to the ABBA stand,, then assume it's bolted down /secured  in place? 

I have 2 ABBA stands and currently have a large raised platform using a bunch of scaffold boards I made for free, with matching ramp, which I put on its end, but takes a bit of room and is a bit fookin heavy lol, but would much prefer to mod one of those lifts with box section to make a similar thing. 👍

Edited by firebeast

5 minutes ago, firebeast said:

Looking at your earlier version,which I haven't noticed in the past, it looks like it's similar to the normal wheeled low level lifts for yank shite, with matching box sections to the ABBA stand,, then assume it's bottled down /secured  in place? 

I have 2 ABBA stands and currently have a large raised platform using a bunch of scaffold boards I made for free, with matching ramp, which I put on its end, but takes a bit of room and is a bit fookin heavy lol, but would much prefer to mod one of those lifts with box section to make a similar thing. 👍

In essence, yes.  It's two parts.  

1. a hydraulic platform on wheels (the platform is a B2 superlift)

2. a shortened version of Abba's own superbike stand.  shorter to take account of the platform underneath

As it comes, it has a bar that bridges the two sides of the lift, which goes under the sump, which I used on the R1 and the GSX-R, and use on the RC8 when the exhaust is off.

20210227-073729.jpg

But when I don't want the weight of the bike resting on the akrapovic I use Abba's front lift arm kit to avoid this.

20210304-074104.jpg

The two bits don't bolt together, once the bike is on the stand section its weight holds it in place. 

I've never had any issues with the bike half moving but I do secure it with a few ratchet straps or some clamps if I'm doing anything major.

No reason why it couldn't bolt together though and I did consider that initially.  The top of the platform has rubber strips on it

• Thanks 1