Wheel chock thingies - what's good?

Elohesra

I want to get one of these for transporting bikes in the van and workshop duties. 

Can you recommend a good stable one? Will only be used for 17" wheel roadbikes.

18 minutes ago, Elohesra said:

I want to get one of these for transporting bikes in the van and workshop duties. 

If you’re talking about one of the roll in chocks they’re pretty much all the same and you need to use good bar straps with them. I’ve got one of the warrior wheel supports and it works fine as long as you use tie downs if you’re using it in a van.

Edited by 426hemi
  • Thanks 1

For van work I got one with a wide front bar like these

motorcycle%20tire%20chock%203-3.jpg2112614-gift-guide-250-500-09-condor-pit

which work incredibly well in a van, super stable, but less so in a workshop due to the floorspace requirements

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlatTel said:

For van work I got one with a wide front bar like these

motorcycle%20tire%20chock%203-3.jpg2112614-gift-guide-250-500-09-condor-pit

which work incredibly well in a van, super stable, but less so in a workshop due to the floorspace requirements

No finely worked Queen Anne legs, nil point

• Like 1

The more expensive the better the sturdiness IME. Prefer tubular construction over square - as they seem stronger. Last one I bought was about £80 a few years ago and has been rock solid. 

• Thanks 1

I've just bought a Warrior one as part of a package deal from Demon Tweaks, so far it's working fine. Only thing I would suggest is when the tyre is warm/hot, put some rag/old t shirt down for the wheel to rest on. Tends to stick in the chock. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got this one, had it for donkeys years.   Not the cheapest, but absolutely bloody brilliant.

Rarely use it these days, but when I do, I am greatly pleased by it.

https://on-bike.com/motorcycle-lifts/motorcycle-wheel-chock

If you buy one and want the quick release plate - don't buy one, I have an unused one somewhere you can have for a pack of hobnobs/Werthers/beer voucher etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2021 at 7:36 AM, Pinkbike1 said:

I've just bought a Warrior one as part of a package deal from Demon Tweaks, so far it's working fine. Only thing I would suggest is when the tyre is warm/hot, put some rag/old t shirt down for the wheel to rest on. Tends to stick in the chock. 

Mine has done the same, rolled the bike back one day and didn’t notice it and clonk the stand lifted, I put my left foot on the stand as I wheel it back now.

Got the warrior one of eBay, great bit of kit, I now only use one tie down in the van, no issues.

Top tip if you have sticky tyres, put some rag on the contact points to stop it sticking to the tyre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 8:30 AM, Tony Nitrous said:

I’ve got one. I wouldn’t trust it on its own, but it’s great when used with a rear stand. It does hold the bike upright when you ride into it well enough to walk around the rear and fit the paddock stand. 
I’d like a couple more.

6-F176124-0519-48-EB-8603-F6-D8-D3-E5973

Is that the Aldi one? Torque branded or something? I have very little faith in mine, and the one time I used it in the trailer to support the bike while I tied it down, the cunting thing walked sideways and spat its feet off on the half hour drive home, had to stop twice to redo the straps. If I hadn't strapped the back tyre, the bike would have gone over.

When I get back, it'll either go in the bin, or I'll figure out a decent way to anchor it in the trailer (quick releasably)

Hateful fuckin thing.

Edited by Gammaboy

On 5/12/2021 at 11:08 PM, Elohesra said:

Are you near Worthing?

Got a couple of those stands that Monkey Jim linked to for sale!

Too heavy for posting.

1 hour ago, Tony Nitrous said:

Yes, it is. I’ve only used it in the shed and it’s fine. If it go’s on a trailer or bench in the future it’ll get a couple of U-bolts. If Aldi has them again I’ll buy a couple more.

I was very cautious of Aldi gear as I’d seen issues with their gloves, helmets etc, but I have a ramp and about 10 paddock stands that have had a lot of use without any issues at all.

You're welcome to this one once I'm back if you still want some more.

3 hours ago, Enzo200500 said:

Are you near Worthing?

Got a couple of those stands that Monkey Jim linked to for sale!

Too heavy for posting.

Thanks for that, I'm too far away though (Northants).

I've ordered one of the Warrior ones that others have recommended. 

Cheers all. :thumbsup:

And no sooner had I typed that, the postman knocked on the door 😁

Very good initial impression.  Will still use plenty of ratchet straps in the van though. The thought of a sickening thud halfway round a roundabout makes me feel queasy.

20210520_121741

Oh I know that feeling of a sickening thud, coming home from the track evening last week there was a bang and clatter in the back of the van. Pulls over praying 'no not the bike' ....

no it wasn't, bloody ramp decided it wanted to lay down, next time it's getting strapped down ...Fnarr!  

11 hours ago, sev said:

I'm up near dunsfold, we may need to talk.

I’ll await your instruction chap, but someone else is after these too!

To go a step further than @dab33 suggestion with some rag,  a good idea is to cut some carpet tile to shape and glue it to the faces the tyres touch* Will make rolling the bike off it much easier... Especially if you move anything with sticky rubber.

* @couchcommando idea and its brilliant.

2 hours ago, sev said:

very interested, just need to sort out the logistics of coming to get them unless you come inland.

Sent you a message about this Sev.

18 hours ago, sev said:

very interested, just need to sort out the logistics of coming to get them unless you come inland.

Nothing booked to be going that way!