The Route

johnnymack63

2021 LDU Route

Lands End

A30 to Exeter

A30 to A303 to A350 – turn right to Warminster

A350 to Chippenham

A429 to Cirencester

Pitstop 1 (Services at A429/A417 Junction)

A417 to Gloucester

A40 to Ross on Wye

A49 to Hereford

A49 Shrewsbury

A49 to Whitchcurch

A49 to A534 – turn right to Nantwich

Pitstop 2 (TBC)

At Nantwich A500 direction Stoke on Trent

A500 to A5020 to A534 to Congleton

A54 to Buxton

A6 to Chapel en le Frith

A624 to Glossop

A628 direction Barnsley

Turn left onto A6024 to Holmfirth

Holmfirth to Huddersfield

At Huddersfield take A629 to Halifax

At Halifax take A646 to Todmorton

At Todmorton take A646 to Burnley

At Burnley take A671 to Whalley

At Whalley take B6246 to B6243 to Longridge

At Longridge take B5269 – direction Blackpool

At A6 turn right – direction Garstang/Lancaster

Pitstop 3 – Guys Thatched Cottage, Billsborrow

A6 to

Lancaster

Kendal

Penrith

At Carlisle take A7 to Longtown

At Longtown take A6071 to Gretna

At Gretna take A75 to Dumfries

At Dumfries take A76 to Kilmarnock

At Kilmarnock take A71 to Irvine

At Irvine take A78 to McInroys Point, Gourock

** Ferry to Dunoon**

Pitstop 4 – Hunters Quay, Dunoon

At Dunoon take A815 to A83

Turn right onto A83 to A82

A82 to Fort William

At Fort William take A82 to Inverness

Pitstop 5 – Inverness

At Inverness take A9 to Wick

At Wick take A99 John O’Groats

At John O’Groats drink a beer, then go to bed.

• Like 6

I love how you can give directions from one end of the country to the other in about 35 steps yet I know people who use more than that to explain how to get to somewhere a mile away. 

• Haha 6

• johnnymack63 changed the title to The Route

Wow indeed,, think I would end up in a few Scottish ditches tbh, sightseeing too much with the one eye that's still open...  

1 hour ago, firebeast said:

Wow indeed,, think I would end up in a few Scottish ditches tbh, sightseeing too much with the one eye that's still open...  

Keeps you awake going "fack!" at the scenery and bends rather than nodding off on the snoozefest that is the A9... 

This is a great route. Can't wait.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TKDMitch said:

What's the total mileage JM?

Over 1000.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hawkati said:

Keeps you awake going "fack!" at the scenery and bends rather than nodding off on the snoozefest that is the A9... 

This is a great route. Can't wait.

I haven't looked at other previous routes before James, but the initial bit down here is obviously a bit 'meh' as you lot already know. I don't know much after Warminster properly till maybe Whitchurch area, some North West area, but the Scottish bit sounds fukin mega tbh on the right bike..

I know cbr4's very well and even with all the extra power you have, I couldn't do it in one 

I managed over 600 miles of A and motorway on a nc29 over 20 yrs ago, in about 9 hrs, which crucified me in part due to Beet jap rearsets, but I so wouldnt dare now... Top marks sir, I hope the extra torque and double bhp of that blade lump makes life a fair bit easier 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firebeast said:

I haven't looked at other previous routes before James, but the initial bit down here is obviously a bit 'meh' as you lot already know. I don't know much after Warminster properly till maybe Whitchurch area, some North West area, but the Scottish bit sounds fukin mega tbh on the right bike..

I know cbr4's very well and even with all the extra power you have, I couldn't do it in one 

I managed over 600 miles of A and motorway on a nc29 over 20 yrs ago, in about 9 hrs, which crucified me in part due to Beet jap rearsets, but I so wouldnt dare now... Top marks sir, I hope the extra torque and double bhp of that blade lump makes life a fair bit easier 👍

A lazy engine helps but I've done it twice on my hawk with a mind bending 51bhp. 

The crucial thing is just to attack the event and blitz everything, overtaking all traffic at every opportunity. Gets it done quicker so it doesn't become an arduous thing but also takes the mind off seizing up and literal pain. Hence twisty roads & gorgeous scenery is essential for our well being, er, officer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hawkati said:

A lazy engine helps but I've done it twice on my hawk with a mind bending 51bhp. 

The crucial thing is just to attack the event and blitz everything, overtaking all traffic at every opportunity. Gets it done quicker so it doesn't become an arduous thing but also takes the mind off seizing up and literal pain. Hence twisty roads & gorgeous scenery is essential for our well being, er, officer!

I did some brisk progress last year, but found that it meant I got lost a few times. Backing off and concentrating on the route  helped.

Following @Herr V.and his satnav was the easiest.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hawkati said:

The crucial thing is just to attack the event and blitz everything, overtaking all traffic at every opportunity. Gets it done quicker so it doesn't become an arduous thing but also takes the mind off seizing up and literal pain. 

He's not wrong..... go like fuck. If there's a gap, fill it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any pit stop 2 people getting in touch with the Raven to see if we can cordon off a patch for a pit stop? 

I'm off work w/c 24th May, so may pop down and see how we go. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ray Von said:

Any pit stop 2 people getting in touch with the Raven to see if we can cordon off a patch for a pit stop? 

I'm off work w/c 24th May, so may pop down and see how we go. 

I will ring after about 0930 and ask, got to ring back after 11

Edited by ssray

I just spoke to Beverly the owner of the Raven cafe, she has put us in the diary, no problem using the car park and a few benches, she did ask if the riders would be buying stuff so I explained that we provide stuff for them as it's a bit time sensative (Not a race) but the pitstop crew would

Edited by ssray
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ssray said:

I just spoke to Beverly the owner of the Raven cafe, she has put us in the diary, no problem using the car park and a few benches, she did ask if the riders would be buying stuff so I explained that we provide stuff for them as it's a bit time sensative (Not a race) but the pitstop crew would

Top work, maybe look at a deal with Raven to buy off them the items we need. 

I don't mind chipping in some money if they do us a deal for stock. 

In previous years, I've just gone to supermarket and spent whatever on the basics, pop, water, crisps, chocolate bars, fruit etc for about £50 ish when it's been a little more remote. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to helping out at P3. I might even bring the KTM in the van and go out for a blat, the roads round there are ossum! 

Edited by srad34
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Arran said:

Pit stop 4 will be at mcinroys point ferry terminal car park BEFORE you get on the ferry. Jm will update the instructions in due course

Thanks for stepping up when I was too busy Arran. 

52 minutes ago, srad34 said:

Really looking forward to helping out at P3. I might even bring the KTM in the van and go out for a blat, the roads round there are ossum! 

Gizza go mistah!

I shall be there with my broom wagon waiting to take up the second half of the route 'sweeping'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Arran said:

Pit stop 4 will be at mcinroys point ferry terminal car park BEFORE you get on the ferry. Jm will update the instructions in due course

Good stuff, I kept the signage from 2019 and was going to get this one modified.

May still add the sector mileage.

🙂

20190620_132824R.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've a ton of holiday allowance that I have no idea what to do with, so I'll be at Pitstop 3 on the 21st.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

just to clarify since there's some confusion - is pitstop at McInroy's point before the ferry or Hunter's Quay after the ferry? Differing ideas are abounding on the wattsapp group!