2003 zx6r high rpm trouble

Doomkinder

So...

My B1 has a consistent high rpm problem, at 13800 to 14 ish it feels like it hits a rev limiter. Rev limit is 15.5.
It’s not throwing any diagnostic fault codes.

I’ve changed the fuel pump and have new plugs on the way, I’m working my way deeper towards replacing the cam chain and ecu, coils and send the fuel injectors for a deep clean.

Has anyone come across a similar problem and fixed it or have any suggestions for possible problems?

cheers.

Edited by Doomkinder

3 hours ago, Doomkinder said:

My B1 has a consistent high rpm problem, at 13800 to 14 ish it feels like it hits a rev limiter. Rev limit is 15.5.

Where did you get the 15500 rpm rev limit from?

Sounds high to me for a 636. Overly optimistic dash? The first of the 'side' piped R6 had a tacho that distorted the truth somewhat I seem to recall.

the tacho hits a wall about 1700rpm lower than the redline on the dash

Maxed out in top on standard gearing it goes 143 mph on gps which seems low, pretty sure it should do 160 plus. I had an SRAD 600 that did 155 on the same gps.

Edited by Doomkinder

Agree on that, my old fx with a system had well over 160 on the clocks, my brother j model shows a good bit more than 143, so your model should defo be higher than that, unless your about 6ft8 and 25 St 😏

4 minutes ago, Doomkinder said:

Nope, same deal.

Check that you have full rotation of the cables on the carb, worked on my exup years ago and the rotor on the carb was catching the circlip on a carb rubber, maybe a similar problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hilltop Reflash? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, wavey said:

Hilltop Reflash? 

Since my foray into 1290 ownership, I've found another "cult of hilltop" ............ same part throttle "before" graphs, same scribbled out numbers on the graphs themselves, same delusion. 

I had something similar on the GSXR, high revs in 3rd gear on the Bypass would result in wierd blue flashing lights in my Mirrors, but when I knocked it into 4th and opened it up they'd disappear.

Never did find out what was causing it.

• Haha 9

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed!

Loose cam chain and a jumped tooth on the exhaust cam sprocket. 😬😬😬 

I'm amazed it ran, but valves are, thank fuck, straight and true, clearances are good. 

Pulls like a train through to 15.5k, refurbed injectors and fuel pump, coils, ecu, and plugs are no bad thing...

• Like 10

On 5/23/2021 at 6:21 PM, Doomkinder said:

Fixed!

Loose cam chain and a jumped tooth on the exhaust cam sprocket. 😬😬😬 

I'm amazed it ran, but valves are, thank fuck, straight and true, clearances are good. 

Pulls like a train through to 15.5k, refurbed injectors and fuel pump, coils, ecu, and plugs are no bad thing...

I expect finding out if it revved out in neutral might have upset it a bit as well .

16 hours ago, Steven smith said:

I expect finding out if it revved out in neutral might have upset it a bit as well .

How and why?

Edited by Doomkinder

54 minutes ago, Doomkinder said:

How and why?

I’m guessing to were a actually born in a tent at the Bol d’or?

• Haha 1