Battery not charging

Evilchicken0

Way back I took this 3tj for an mot - on the way home it stopped running in the way bikes do when theres no elec power. It was a pain but not terrible I got a tube home took another battery went back to the bike and got it home. 

Charged the battery put a tester on it one light stayed on, changed the reg rec - as you would. Thought nothing of it.

Didn't ride it much and had it on a battery tender. Took it around for sale advert pics and the charge light stayed on. Checked the battery not charging. Put my tester on same light on, thought it must be a duff reg rec (ebay huh 🙄) changed the reg rec. After fitting another new one still not charging. So I looked at the alternator .... it was blackened and the pickup was just hanging onto to the mount bracket ... righto I changed that.

Fitted it up up and the ignition light is still on the battery still doesn't charge ... pain in the tits. 

So today I did wire continuity testing on the loom with bulb + wire. Alternator to regrec all 3 good. Regrec to main fuse good, fuse to battery all good. 

No fuses blown, bike starts first time runns and idles very nicely. There no alarm fitted. 

??? 

Edited by Evilchicken0

Check the three phases of the alternator you should see similar low resistance readings between the them

check between each phase and earth, there should be no continuity

21 hours ago, Evilchicken0 said:

I changed the alternator it made no difference 

The bike runs - no earthy no runny 

Maybe 

Yeah, no

your grasp of elecktrickery is tenuous 

Get a cheapo multimeter. With the bike running you should have AC between each of the 3 phases coming off the alternator. Stick it to DC then see what's coming off the Reg/Rec. That's literally all there is in a bikes charging system; 3 phases of AC and then it gets rectified down to DC before it hits the battery. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just a little update.

I seng the alternator off to be checked and it's ok. So now I'm swapping out the loom and I found one of the wires to the diode is damaged - I've cut it and put on another block connector.

Could this have made the difference ??? I'm about half way through the replacement so I cant run the bike yet. 

On 6/5/2021 at 7:41 PM, Evilchicken0 said:

Just a little update.

I seng the alternator off to be checked and it's ok. So now I'm swapping out the loom and I found one of the wires to the diode is damaged - I've cut it and put on another block connector.

Could this have made the difference ??? I'm about half way through the replacement so I cant run the bike yet. 

Was it damaged in such a way the wire was exposed?

5 hours ago, Alpinestarhero said:

Was it damaged in such a way the wire was exposed?

Yes, the wire was about 60% cut.

The loom I bought had had the main fuse cut off 🤦‍♂️ so I've exchanged it. I'll fit it up over the weekend 

• 1 month later...

So - I took it to a garage and it turns out the alternator that got, described as for a FZR400 3tj, isnt. It sits very slightly off in the alternator cover and dosent generate. So I got a recon one from Germany.

I'll be looking to return the one from ebay even though it was bought in April 

• Like 1

The moral of this story ? Follow Loz's advice !

:)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Evilchicken0 said:

If the ebay description had been accurate I wouldnt have needed it 🤔😕 

So you assumed the description was correct ?

Says a mistrustfull cynical old engineer.

Sorry, just my odd sense of humour,  glad to hear you got it sorted.

18 hours ago, DougW said:

So you assumed the description was correct ?

Says a mistrustfull cynical old engineer.

Sorry, just my odd sense of humour,  glad to hear you got it sorted.

Yes - foolish huh. 

Based on that I changed everything which took time and means I cant return through Ebay .... so I'll talk to PayPal.