carb conversion for FI ducatis

riversbikes

Hey all,
Looking for an overview as to what would be required for a carb conversion. I have my eye on an 800ss engine in good condition that I hope to fit into a Pantah/Allazurra frame I'm modifying. A custom project; I've secured an alloy race tank that was built for a pantah frame in the 70s or early 80s for some retro charm. It's getting harder to find carbed supersport engines in decent nick -- the aircooled FI engines are more available. I would stick with FI, but I don't like the idea of running an external fuel pump, and the need to modifiy the tank -- it's set up for a simple gravity feed, with two external taps (one to each carb) orignally. My goal is a fun and light trackbike, so additional electronics will be very simple (although I do want to keep the starter).
I know very little Czech, but I understand an Ignitech ignition would be key to making this work. For the record, I've been in touch with a Belgian fella on FB who has done something similar, using a 696 engine and Dellortos... I've built bikes before, but I have always stuck with the fueling system that came with the engine I used.
I realize a book could be written on the topic, but any ideas/suggestions/resources would be greatly appreciated. I've included a pic of the Pantah 696 for reference.

1 hour ago, sev said:

if you're playing with the 800, then maybe a nice set of 39 flatslides will be just the ticket.

Man you want to speak to is Liam Venter at fastbikegear in NewZealand as he does ignitech in a big way, and has lots of experience with ignitech and the 2v engine.

He can supply you the unit, the nology profire coils, taylor leads, the whole shebang, and he does a kit to mount the tps onto the FCR39's

Alternatively the tdm850 carbs are the same as the 900ss but with a tps already.

Thanks Sev -- that's why I love this forum!

@Buzzerhas done a few, using ignitechset ups, be interesting to try the the chinese dellorto or fcr copies. They're cheap enough to take a punt.

5 hours ago, riversbikes said:

Thanks Sev -- that's why I love this forum!

He's already gotten back to me (Liam in NZ) -- ordering the manual first, looks like he has exactly what I need.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 6:10 PM, Superdunc said:

@Buzzerhas done a few, using ignitechset ups, be interesting to try the the chinese dellorto or fcr copies. They're cheap enough to take a punt.

I have!  and also used the Chinese FCR copies and been very happy with them!  I am happy to answer any question on the Ignitech set up on the bikes I have done...  more info on my blog

www.jtccc.wordpress.com

• Like 1