How to fix a KTM gearbox (vid)

wavey

Oh surprise, another KTM on the bench and another broken gearbox! I've sharpened my best hammers so it's time to strip it down

• Like 13

Excellent - not for the gearbox - I mean the video.  Really good that, @wavey

<thinks about RC8R gearbox..... gulp>

Looking forward to the next installment.  C'mon, c'mon get on with it 

As an aside it would be well worth checking the camshaft oil jets are clear.  Piece of piss to do while you've got it apart

It's in the workshop manual for the Rc8 but not explicit at all, just mentioned as a line but I'm 99% sure they were the cause of the wear to the cams in mine, and others.  The oil jets are so tiny, they block easily.  They're on the underside of the cam covers.

20200406-080318.jpg

Agree on the piss-poor gear selector shaft, it is a crap design coming out behind the front sprocket and under the chain.  WTF.

On the Rc8 you can add spangles with a ridiciously expensive but beautifully made bracket that braces it like Forrest Gump's legs.

Dear God please let my circlips be strong....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair on the 1290 super duke the frame has a bracket to support the gear selector. A sensible step to fixing a crap design... And oil jets checked and clear 👍🏾

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wavey said:

To be fair on the 1290 super duke the frame has a bracket to support the gear selector. A sensible step to fixing a crap design... And oil jets checked and clear 👍🏾

I see the bracket you mean now.  Good stuff on the oil jets.

Out of interest, what's the age (private plate) and mileage on the superduck?  

2014, so first year bike with 17k enthusiastic miles. Its been used correctly! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wavey said:

2014, so first year bike with 17k enthusiastic miles. Its been used correctly! 

As you will now be a 1290 Superduke engine building expert to go with your S1000RR engine skills, at least I'll know where to go if my KTM or BM play up.............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2021 at 1:38 PM, alpine* said:

Can I see a cable for a quick shifter going to the gear lever, if so, I wonder if that contributed to the failure.

I have investigated this, the kill times were set quite short but the owner tells me it was very smooth. 

I've set it a little longer for a safety margin

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wavey said:

I have investigated this, the kill times were set quite short but the owner tells me it was very smooth. 

I've set it a little longer for a safety margin

Is that an aftermarket QS on it? 

13 minutes ago, Gobert said:

Is that an aftermarket QS on it? 

Yes, a healtech qs easy

The Horror, reminds me of spending a week in my shed stripping my old TL down and replacing 3rd and 4th after the dogs had gone.

Didn't have a jack and lifting the lump back into the frame caused me to slip a disc and have 2 weeks off work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Now for the 'fun' bit

*almost no fun as involved

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@wavey was it 3 or 4 times of splitting the cases during the re-build? I lost count!

Another great vid and I'm not quite so confused about gearboxes. I've managed to understand how they work, I'm fine with everything else but gearboxes just give me an instant head fuck..... Luckily I've never had and issues with them in the bikes I've owned!

I may watch it again to see if I can get my head around it!!

On 4/24/2021 at 5:35 PM, jollygiant said:

@wavey was it 3 or 4 times of splitting the cases during the re-build? I lost count!

Another great vid and I'm not quite so confused about gearboxes. I've managed to understand how they work, I'm fine with everything else but gearboxes just give me an instant head fuck..... Luckily I've never had and issues with them in the bikes I've owned!

I may watch it again to see if I can get my head around it!!

I've tried to blank out the cases closed, cases open again saga frin my mind. A dark few hours in my life. 

I assume they got the work experience person to write the manual

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, wavey said:

I've tried to blank out the cases closed, cases open again saga frin my mind. A dark few hours in my life. 

I assume they got the work experience person to write the manual

Good video, though it did put me off owning anything big & KTM-ish. I find their little MX bikes a joy to work on...

• Like 1

Gordon's alive!!! (if you call a KTM Gordon, which would be weird)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, wavey said:

Gordon's alive!!! (if you call a KTM Gordon, which would be weird)

"Would I buy a KTM... Ummm no" But you like "humping the lump"?!! Fnarrrr.....

Bloody stoopud way of bleeding the cooling system!

Another good vid, thanks. I always fancied a StupidDuke but not anymore!

I'm going to have to watch these now as I have a hankering for a 1290SDGT 😧

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Herr V. said:

Haa haa, that won't last long.. If want one don't watch them. It'll be like seeing and dreaming of your dream woman for years and watching the video's of her having 'her Journey of discovery' operations from 120kg weightlifting Russian Olympic male to 50kg Goddess of sexiness......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Listen, I've owned and broken both Ducatis and Aprilias and still not learnt my lesson 🙂 

As much as I like the R1200RS for it's do everything pretty well level of capability I can't look past a 1290SDGT as it's replacement

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Herr V. said:

Ride one first................. don't ask why I say that :facepalm:

The one thing I'll say from all the forums, groups etc that I spent hours and hours doing my research on prior to buying a 1290 is that I'm not really bothered about mechanical issues.......it seems to be a pretty reliable motor however the electrics are another story........ although saying that, most are minor.

In a few hundred miles I'll be writing a warts and all account of a new 1290 GT owner.,.................

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jollygiant said:

"Would I buy a KTM... Ummm no" But you like "humping the lump"?!! Fnarrrr.....

Bloody stoopud way of bleeding the cooling system!

Another good vid, thanks. I always fancied a StupidDuke but not anymore!

Yes it is a bloody stupid way of bleeding the coolant system.

Bloody stupid, having to raise the front wheel up, but do-able with a bit of arsing about.

20200501_201421.jpg

What really doesn't help is having tiny bleed screws buried deep and, on the rc8 at least, said bleed screws are right next to the identical sized bolt which holds the coolant pipe to the head.

Bleedin' stupid.  Err, I mean, character.  Fahn cahns* at KTM

*©️Fred Gassit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gobert said:

Ride one first................. don't ask why I say that :facepalm:

The one thing I'll say from all the forums, groups etc that I spent hours and hours doing my research on prior to buying a 1290 is that I'm not really bothered about mechanical issues.......it seems to be a pretty reliable motor however the electrics are another story........ although saying that, most are minor.

In a few hundred miles I'll be writing a warts and all account of a new 1290 GT owner.,.................

@Gobert I read that you are in a bonding phase with your SDGT, I've ridden my Sons SDR and I love it.  I love the utility of my R1200RS it's a bloody good bike for pretty much everything but it's a bit weak, the only other option is the SDGT.

I am not overly bovered about technical issues as they will happen (on any bike) and it's what the dealer does about it that makes the difference and this is where I see a positive to KTM ownership.  BMW also have lots of issues and some dealers deal with them in a completely different manner to others e.g. new frame for flaking paint versus not valid at another dealer delivered with total arrogance.

I need to look at the bank balance but htis could be my last year of BMW ownership

• Like 1

If I need any serious work doing on my 749s it’s definitely coming to you. Quality spannering and obsessive attention to detail. Brilliant vids but keep the just for men handy when the next silly duke arrived for open box surgery.

• Haha 1