'Freeing' Floating Disc Bobbins

Wallie

More of a curiosity thing more than anything.

I've got a slight judder on the front when trail braking (although not when bolt upright). Caliper was deep cleaned so thats been ruled out, headstock bearing is new and no front to back play in the forks, so last thing for me is a warped disc.

I was mentioned it to one of the other guys on the test day who said to free the bobbins up with a bolt/washer/nut combo and some brake cleaner. Now I've never once done this and a quick google says the internet is divided over whether this is bollocks or not.

I've already resigned myself that I need to buy a new disc more than likely, but I'm curious to see if anyone does it?

Which discs are you using?

EBC used to give out rebuild kits to refresh the bobbins once they got loose and manky rather than solid and seized.

You should be able to clean them up enough to move them - It would be a toothbrush and brake cleaner job and using a wooden dowel/thingy to get the bobbins moving.

Armstrong discs, they are the go to ones in the paddock.

There is definitely no movement in them now (at least by hand) but I can't say I noticed they had any movement to start with. I always just give them a quick spray and rub with brake cleaner as part of the usual maintenance but never moved them.

I'll be picking a spare disc up anyway so might be worth a punt to see if these can be salvaged. 

Nope it's been sat on stands all winter.

It's odd as it's only tipping into Gerrards (cause I was being a fanny and braking instead of just rolling off) and it was fine everywhere else. It was just enough to annoy more than anything, not that you want a judder tipping in to a corner like that!

1 hour ago, Wallie said:

I've got a slight judder on the front when trail braking (although not when bolt upright). Caliper was deep cleaned so thats been ruled out, headstock bearing is new and no front to back play in the forks, so last thing for me is a warped disc.

I was mentioned it to one of the other guys on the test day who said to free the bobbins up with a bolt/washer/nut combo and some brake cleaner. Now I've never once done this and a quick google says the internet is divided over whether this is bollocks or not.

I've already resigned myself that I need to buy a new disc more than likely, but I'm curious to see if anyone does it?

Seems a popular thing to do on a lot of Kawasaki forums I've been on.  

• Haha 1

I bet it's head stock related.  I chased this problem for a season on the Slabbie, turned out I'd missed out the washer under the nut on the top yoke, the blind nut was bottoming out on the stem rather than clamping the top yoke down.

Handles like a 250 gp bike now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLRS said:

Wheelbearings checked?

Yup they were fine.

4 minutes ago, Superdunc said:

I bet it's head stock related.  I chased this problem for a season on the Slabbie, turned out I'd missed out the washer under the nut on the top yoke, the blind nut was bottoming out on the stem rather than clamping the top yoke down.

Handles like a 250 gp bike now.

Probably the most likely outcome. I'll whip the top yoke off at the weekend and double check everything.

3 hours ago, Wallie said:

Front end chatter?

I've had similar that only showed up on the mot brake tester rollers. It was caused by a spot of corrosion pitting where the pads had sat in contact with the disc over the winter.

Edited by coombehouse

Definitely clean the bobbins up so that they turn reasonably freely. As you said use a drill and a bolt. 

It's a common problem on RSV April I as and cleaning the bobbins usually helps. 

It's a free fix so you have nothing to lose by trying it anyway

Dunc was right, it was the headstock.

Bobbins did move with some persuasion (although one was slightly stuck so still worthwhile).

As I was using the underyoke stand I thought I should be able to feel any play with the forks off the ground, but sure enough I cracked the car jack out and there was a knock. After a right game trying to find the sweet spot we should be good to go. 

Will still be taking the jack to Mallory next week to nip it up a bit more if needed.

• Like 3