C90...

Get_some

The red rolling shitheap. 

I took the handlebars and cowling apart to fit a replacement cowl. 

I'm reassembling now which is as much fun as covid. 

The throttle assembly is baffling me, when I start the bike the throttle is wide open, all 4 ponies trying to break free. 

Anyone tinkered with one of these and know where I am going wrong? 

It's quite easy to get the cable nipple caught up at the carb end and that would hold the throttle open. Is the slider closing fully when you shut the throttle off? Have you got the slider in correctly with the guide pin/slot matched up?

The carbs on these are so simple there's not a huge amount else it can really be.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

It's quite easy to get the cable nipple caught up at the carb end and that would hold the throttle open. Is the slider closing fully when you shut the throttle off? Have you got the slider in correctly with the guide pin/slot matched up?

The carbs on these are so simple there's not a huge amount else it can really be.

Its not at the carb end, i think it's the throttle assembly I'm messing up 

I get that but if you've had the throttle assembly apart the cable goes slack and this could allow the nipple at the carb end to drop out of its hole, thereby lifting the slider high when you put it back together. It may not be that but for the sake of 30 seconds of unscrewing the cap it's well worth a look.

Then make sure the cable outer isn't snagged on the outside of its adjuster barrel.

Are you getting full throttle movement or does it feel like some kind of very quick QA throttle?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

I get that but if you've had the throttle assembly apart the cable goes slack and this could allow the nipple at the carb end to drop out of its hole, thereby lifting the slider high when you put it back together. It may not be that but for the sake of 30 seconds of unscrewing the cap it's well worth a look.

Then make sure the cable outer isn't snagged on the outside of its adjuster barrel.

Are you getting full throttle movement or does it feel like some kind of very quick QA throttle?

Thanks I understand now, I'll give it a go tomorrow. 

The throttle isn't moving freely, there is a channel with the assembly that the throttle cable sits in, feels like it is fouling on the part which would be the closed throttle position, but if I twist the throttle to rest in that position it revs really high, if you get me? 

15 hours ago, Get_some said:

when I start the bike the throttle is wide open, all 4 ponies trying to break free.

Just leave it. You'll be flat out everywhere anyways ;) 

• Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 11:15 AM, Get_some said:

Right, got it running again but still can't figure out how this goes back together 

IMG_20210416_105236_20210416111452214.jpg

If that's not a wind up then you shouldn't be allowed near a motorbike with a set of tools again... ever 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 years later...

I've been using this beast on the road after it flew through the mot with only a concerned look from the tester and a comment about the useless brakes... 

Does anyone know where I could get a small block of led lights that could replace the headlight? 

• 6 months later...

I was riding the c90 in September and it ran out of fuel (I think, fuel gauge seems to work). I refilled it at the garage but it wouldn't fire and hasn't since.

I let it sit over winter but this week I've been trying to get it going again.

I thought the non starting might be because the float was stuck so I removed the carb and had a look,it all looked clean. Checked the battery and spark and all seems fine.

Still won't start.

Could it be an issue with the new ethanol fuel?

Edited by Get_some

Tow it behind a car and repeatedly dump the clutch until it runs again.

In all seriousness, take the pilot jet out and clean it to within an inch of it's life.

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Get_some said:

I was riding the c90 in September and it ran out of fuel (I think, fuel gauge seems to work). I refilled it at the garage but it wouldn't fire and hasn't since.

I let it sit over winter but this week I've been trying to get it going again.

I thought the non starting might be because the float was stuck so I removed the carb and had a look,it all looked clean. Checked the battery and spark and all seems fine.

Still won't start.

Could it be an issue with the new ethanol fuel?

Probably shit in the jets like Loz says. Take the carb out, remove the jets and blow_away... or use a compressed air gun.

44 minutes ago, Gixxerthou said:

Probably shit in the jets like Loz says. Take the carb out, remove the jets and blow_away... or use a compressed air gun.

Thanks for the suggestions, done and now she's firing,but revving her nuts off

Turning the idle screw has no effect, could that mean an air leak?

Edited by Get_some

14 hours ago, Get_some said:

Air leak, or the throttle cable's caught up somewhere.

17 hours ago, Get_some said:

How did you fix it last time it was revving it's tits off? 

31 minutes ago, GSXR814 said:

How did you fix it last time it was revving it's tits off? 

The throttle cable was too tight or the carb slide wasn't in correctly

Eh

So

In the spirit of no such thing as a silly question...

Would the excessively revving be caused by the airbox not being tightly sealed to the carb?

I put on new gaskets and used gasket seal to make sure the carb to manifold is airtight, disconnected the throttle cable from the bars and it was still revving out.

17 hours ago, Get_some said:

Eh

So

In the spirit of no such thing as a silly question...

Would the excessively revving be caused by the airbox not being tightly sealed to the carb?

I put on new gaskets and used gasket seal to make sure the carb to manifold is airtight, disconnected the throttle cable from the bars and it was still revving out.

Slide not seated correctly, cable maladjusted or return spring under the carb misplaced or fouled, other suspect would be idle screw fully 'in'. Not sealing with the airbox would just make it run lean.

Edited by Gixxerthou
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gixxerthou said:

Slide not seated correctly, cable maladjusted or return spring under the carb misplaced or fouled, other suspect would be idle screw fully 'in'. Not sealing with the airbox would just make it run lean.

I think it's one of those. Spoke to my father in law (retired engineer of 100 odd years) and his first words where "it's pretty simple really..." still laughing about that comment now 

• Like 1