2003 CBR600RR

DougW

A mate has just had a 15 mph crash on his previously mint 10,000 mile CBR600RR.

Someone stopped unexpectedly mid corner in front of him, he tucked the front when nearly stopped.

Minor fairing scuffs, but the "Crash Protector" has cracked the engine casings.

So probably an insurance write off.

Just thinking out loud, I have a lightly crashed 2004 Hornet 600 that was being made into a track day bike in a mates unit when Covid struck and halted progress. Not touched it in a year. Realistically, as I have got side tracked building other projects, I may never do anything with the Hornet.

How close is a 2004 Hornet engine to a 2003 CBR600RR ?

If mate fancies a project with the salvage ?

• Sad 1

On 4/6/2021 at 9:16 AM, DougW said:

A mate has just had a 15 mph crash on his previously mint 10,000 mile CBR600RR.

Someone stopped unexpectedly mid corner in front of him, he tucked the front when nearly stopped.

Minor fairing scuffs, but the "Crash Protector" has cracked the engine casings.

So probably an insurance write off.

Just thinking out loud, I have a lightly crashed 2004 Hornet 600 that was being made into a track day bike in a mates unit when Covid struck and halted progress. Not touched it in a year. Realistically, as I have got side tracked building other projects, I may never do anything with the Hornet.

How close is a 2004 Hornet engine to a 2003 CBR600RR ?

If mate fancies a project with the salvage ?

Sounds like we have a mutual acquaintance, guy I work with, was described exactly that same accident, to one of his mates,  at work this week, take it your mate lives Burton on Trent way.

7 hours ago, dab33 said:

Sounds like we have a mutual acquaintance, guy I work with, was described exactly that same accident, to one of his mates,  at work this week, take it your mate lives Burton on Trent way.

Yes ! 

Buy back or whatever, fire it up. It's a no lose situation, so obviously depends where the crack is, but I would want to know, depending where etc, if its actually a gona or not.. It may potentially be possible to fix the crack by someone who has the 'skillz' and run it again.. 

• 5 months later...

Bike was taken by Insurance Co, and sold by Hills as a Cat N.

Apparently a cracked engine block was cosmetic.

Its back on the road now, having passed an MOT recently.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, DougW said:

Bike was taken by Insurance Co, and sold by Hills as a Cat N.

Apparently a cracked engine block was cosmetic.

Its back on the road now, having passed an MOT recently.

He didn't get an offer to buy it back then? 

Just now, firebeast said:

He didn't get an offer to buy it back then? 

With a cracked engine, the only safe way to use it again would have to have fitted another engine. He didn't want the hassle.  Now has a very tidy GSXR600 SRAD

11 minutes ago, DougW said:

With a cracked engine, the only safe way to use it again would have to have fitted another engine. He didn't want the hassle.  Now has a very tidy GSXR600 SRAD

Good he is happy then 👍

My angle on anything like that is what they want for it against how much can I get for it,  but I like a bargain 🤣

13 hours ago, firebeast said:

Good he is happy then 👍

My angle on anything like that is what they want for it against how much can I get for it,  but I like a bargain 🤣

Me too ! Was tempted to get him to buy it from insurance co and have it myself,  but that would be a third " project " sitting alongside the other bikes that could do with some TLC. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DougW said:

Me too ! Was tempted to get him to buy it from insurance co and have it myself,  but that would be a third " project " sitting alongside the other bikes that could do with some TLC. 

Can never have enough projects, or use the profits from buying and selling something like that, to go towards the others,, keeps the other half remotely happy 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, firebeast said:

Can never have enough projects, or use the profits from buying and selling something like that, to go towards the others,, keeps the other half remotely happy 

Selling ? Don't understand. 

Could be where I'm going wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DougW said:

Selling ? Don't understand. 

Could be where I'm going wrong.

Buy it cheap, break it if you can't source a cheap motor or sell complete for decent profit margin, 🤔

Use profits to fund other useful/useless stuff,😁,, not just keep it under a sheet in the corner of the garage like I do half the time 🙄🤣