cbr 919 carbs question

hawkati

(i'll bung up a pic when i get home) On the left hand side there's an awkwardly sticking out gubbins bit with a couple of wires coming from it. Just wondering what it is and if i can do without it because it's in the bloody way! Cheers, jamess

9 minutes ago, hawkati said:

(i'll bung up a pic when i get home) On the left hand side there's an awkwardly sticking out gubbins bit with a couple of wires coming from it. Just wondering what it is and if i can do without it because it's in the bloody way! Cheers, jamess

TPS?

Throttle Position Sensor

1 minute ago, Thunderbolt said:

TPS?

Throttle Position Sensor

noooooooooo! Oh that can't be...i need that fukker. I was hoping it would be an auto choke or de icer or something equally useless...

8 minutes ago, Toneale said:

What @Thunderbolt say.

TPS as standard from '95 on. If you want one without it '92 or '93 carbs.

cheers - that might be an option since the little fukker sticks out about 7mm and i'm loathe to start cutting into the frame. Is the damn thing essential?

Its the TPS, if disconnected the CDI map changes and reduces power. I know this because one of dyno runs I did with my FZR4/9 was done with it disconnected by accident! Can't remember if I can the standard CDI or Ignitech CDI plugged in at the time.

Edited by dannn

@hawkati - you will most likely need to change the carb jetting if your not running the standard Fireblade airbox.

I'm using the bottom of the fuel tank as the airbox lid on the FZR 4/9. Steve @ GT dynoed the bike and it ended up from memory with quite large jets ~150 (I think he said we were at the max the carbs can support). I can't remember which needle position we ended up at.

so the dilemma is cut into the frame or lose power due to an annoying little widget. Ah well, so be it then. It's likely to end up with an altered cbr600 airbox in the first instance and then improvised after that. I'm under no illusions that i'll get full power from the bugger but it's a game of two halves - pre and post ldd budget. Cheers!

5 hours ago, hawkati said:

so the dilemma is cut into the frame or lose power due to an annoying little widget. Ah well, so be it then. It's likely to end up with an altered cbr600 airbox in the first instance and then improvised after that. I'm under no illusions that i'll get full power from the bugger but it's a game of two halves - pre and post ldd budget. Cheers!

I guess your going to use a complete Fireblade loom ?

Do you want me to send you an A3 colour wiring diagram I got from https://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000457/Categories/Motorcycle_Wiring_Diagrams/Honda/CBR900RR_Wiring_Diagrams ?

If yes PM me your address....

The one thing you must do is strip some of the wiring back and check rectifier/stator/starter circuit relay wires - the chances are they have overheated and are in bad shape and have most likely overheated the other wires in that part of the loom. My loom had this lot semi repaired as it must have burnt out and shorted in the past....I suspect its a common issue due to the shite Honda rectifier.

Goes without saying put the Honda rectifier in the bin and use a Yamaha one instead.

Edited by dannn
rectifier not regulator

6 hours ago, dannn said:

@hawkati - you will most likely need to change the carb jetting if your not running the standard Fireblade airbox.

I'm using the bottom of the fuel tank as the airbox lid on the FZR 4/9. Steve @ GT dynoed the bike and it ended up from memory with quite large jets ~150 (I think he said we were at the max the carbs can support). I can't remember which needle position we ended up at.

It can run the cbr400 airbox fine,or potentially the 600 airbox if it fits under the tank, as I said on the ldd thread,, like mine. Mine ran/will run again, eventually, arrow system, with a dj kit, set up over 20yrs ago by Bob Farnham (before I owned it) and it was I think 122bhp. I can't say I ever looked at the jets, as I was a mechanical chimp back then, lol.. I very much doubt mine are in a good state of running James, but I can have a look at the mains at some point, possibly when I go down to find the airbox plate where its stored.. 

Imo, all your after currently is a bike that will run fine without any major fine tuning /headaches and if you stick to keeping it simple, for the ldd,start to address bits after..  I know my blade is the 92 lump, but is it going being massively different to the 919 engine 🤔

The frames gona be have holes like Swiss cheese at this rate 😏

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

TPS is for pussies, get a bank of flatslides on there fer gawds sake man

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Herr V. said:

TPS is for pussies, get a bank of flatslides on there fer gawds sake man

That's a great idea- entire ldd budget spent on....just the carbs!😂😂😂😂

Carbs are in, attacking loom - not long to go before the starter button of truth.🤪

• Like 1

Fingers crossed matey but I think if you do get it going the riding position will fuck you up just like the 996 did.  hope I am wrong

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herr V. said:

Fingers crossed matey but I think if you do get it going the riding position will fuck you up just like the 996 did.  hope I am wrong

Fingers crossed it will be more merciful- the seat is much lower and for that one occasion I'll be slinging on the raised bars the hawk originally came with. It'll be like a chopper compared to the 996!😂

• Like 1