New exhaust studs-stainless or not?

ssray

Tatty old 600 bandit arrived in the back of my smax yesterday (I thought it would fit, it almost did) no exhaust studs, I understand stainless can weld/stick to the engine

It's not a forever bike but I don't just want to pass on the problem 

Stainless in the track bike and the Blade, dollop of copper slip before you fit them and they'll be fine. Use something other than stainless for the nuts, copper or brass ideally.

I used 'Trevs vintage machine shop' on eBay, couldn't find any for the blade so messaged him with dimensions and he knocked a set up and delivered within the week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phlik said:

Stainless in the track bike and the Blade, dollop of copper slip before you fit them and they'll be fine. Use something other than stainless for the nuts, copper or brass ideally.

I used 'Trevs vintage machine shop' on eBay, couldn't find any for the blade so messaged him with dimensions and he knocked a set up and delivered within the week.

Just found them, thank you

Just as a matter of interest, why to people refit studs?

That's an assembly factor solution that lets the studs all settle to the same length and specification. I.e. it's the cheapest way for the factories to do it with minimal wastage.

If you have a few minutes at home when you are fitting an exhaust, stick appropriately sized bolts in there ffs, or more likely screws. 

If you are doing an exhaust swap on a long termer and want some confidence that you can still work on it years later, there is a raft of ascending levels of best practice that could vary a little with engine design.

The reality is that it's a no brainer assuming the studs will come out.

• Like 2