E10

kja.busa

Due to be introduced sometime in the near future, with speculation as to how it will affect fuel lines, pumps etc. Any thoughts?

If there was a reason to only use Super unleaded, this sounds like it, especially if you have a plastic fuel tank :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, srad34 said:

If there was a reason to only use Super unleaded, this sounds like it, especially if you have a plastic fuel tank :)

Yep.  Super unleaded will remain at E5 (ie up to 5% ethanol), for the time being at least.

Esso is the only one in the UK to guarantee 0% ethanol in their Super U/L - their website confirms that they still legally have to say E5 on the pump, it is actually 0% unless in some areas of the UK (except the SW and north from memory)

Edited by MonkeyJim

3 hours ago, MonkeyJim said:

Yep.  Super unleaded will remain at E5 (ie up to 5% ethanol), for the time being at least.

Esso is the only one in the UK to guarantee 0% ethanol in their Super U/L - their website confirms that they still legally have to say E5 on the pump, it is actually 0% unless in some areas of the UK (the SW and north from memory)

One of the reasons I wanted the srads tank coated was for this upcoming change; I just need to replace some of the fuel lines now. I suspect the old cars will have similar issues...

Esso Supreme is now my fuel of choice for the bikes, for this reason. 

• Like 3

On 3/22/2021 at 9:09 AM, hawkati said:

so as & when i get an 1198 i really should avoid standard unledded?

V-power to the people! But, the correct answer is: GET AN ALOOMINJUM FUEL TANK! to the people...🇮🇹

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, for components like valve stem seals, particularly on the most valves is Viton the way to go? Is it E10 proof as opposed to one stem seals?

Viton is not Ethanol capable from what I know. It's ok, but will rot in time, so like anything here, needs a maintenance factor thought about.

Biggest issue might actually be laying the bike up for the winter. If you think E5 goes off quick and leads to lots of corrosion in your fuel system, E10 will be worse. That Ethanol is going to convert itself to water as fast as it can get away with it and we all know what filling bikes with water is likely to do to your long term reliability, let alone fuelling.

I'd start looking at fitting a dry break into the fuel lines from the tank on any bike that you've got. Then you want a second lot of connectors that you can plumb in and pump or drain the unused fuel away, Stick some expensive stuff in there if you want it all to stay wet.

throw the junk into any 4 wheeler that is lying about, into a diesel won't do it any harm.

If you've got a race/track bike with old Explosafe in the tank, have a look at that as well. Some of it breaks down very quickly when given Ethanol to play with.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2021 at 11:27 PM, coombehouse said:

The fuel pump on my gsxr1000k2 fell apart in France when I used E10. The plastic went soft.

TL1000R  fuel pump died shortly after returning from France. I may not have being paying sufficient attention to what fuel I was putting in it.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 6:30 PM, DougW said:

TL1000R  fuel pump died shortly after returning from France. I may not have being paying sufficient attention to what fuel I was putting in it.

I kept getting funny looks from french bikers when I was using the E10 but I didn't catch on. They were all using the super unleaded. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 11:28 PM, Mark/Foggy said:

Viton is not Ethanol capable from what I know. It's ok, but will rot in time, so like anything here, needs a maintenance factor thought about.

Biggest issue might actually be laying the bike up for the winter. If you think E5 goes off quick and leads to lots of corrosion in your fuel system, E10 will be worse. That Ethanol is going to convert itself to water as fast as it can get away with it and we all know what filling bikes with water is likely to do to your long term reliability, let alone fuelling.

I'd start looking at fitting a dry break into the fuel lines from the tank on any bike that you've got. Then you want a second lot of connectors that you can plumb in and pump or drain the unused fuel away, Stick some expensive stuff in there if you want it all to stay wet.

Funny you say that, that's exactly what I have planned to do with the RC8R.  I've now got a spare connector for the fuel pump power, dry-break coupling and fuel hose, so I cam drain the tank when I need to.

If you use a kit to remove the ethanol, is the octane rating not lowered ?

Might not be a problem for some(most ?) engines, but having ventilated a fair few 2T pistons in the past in tuned engines running high compression, these things worry me ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougW said:

If you use a kit to remove the ethanol, is the octane rating not lowered ?

Might not be a problem for some(most ?) engines, but having ventilated a fair few 2T pistons in the past in tuned engines running high compression, these things worry me ....

Probably take it down 1 or 2, so tetraboost to put it back up.

• Thanks 1