Where can I find out REALLY BASIC information on an engine?

3narf

I have service and workshop manuals from Carl Salter (is he from Hull? The name rings a bell) but I'm building a special around a BMW G650 engine and I know very little about its architecture.

I'm thinking about stuff like component location, what components make up the fuel injection / ignition systems, sensors / thermostats etc? I assume it's a dry sump motor purely because I've seen oil tanks on ebay... 🙄

I've tried the f650 forum but my membership has been pending for months!

Thanks

3 hours ago, 3narf said:

I have service and workshop manuals from Carl Salter (is he from Hull? The name rings a bell) but I'm building a special around a BMW G650 engine and I know very little about its architecture.

I'm thinking about stuff like component location, what components make up the fuel injection / ignition systems, sensors / thermostats etc? I assume it's a dry sump motor purely because I've seen oil tanks on ebay... 🙄

I've tried the f650 forum but my membership has been pending for months!

Thanks

BMW parts Fisch

• Like 2

https://www.dualsportafrica.com/BMW F650GS Manual.pdf

the first google search.

1st gen were carb, 2nd gen were injection.  They are different, but the basic layout is the same.

Obviously the drive chain is on the right hand side and I think some variants are belt drive.  So if you are thinking of putting one in the Sachs 125 chassis, you have added complications.

• Like 2

If only there were some one on here who tuned one to 73bhp and put it into an ally frame with tz250 geometry?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 11:29 PM, 4tgp said:

https://www.dualsportafrica.com/BMW F650GS Manual.pdf

the first google search.

1st gen were carb, 2nd gen were injection.  They are different, but the basic layout is the same.

Obviously the drive chain is on the right hand side and I think some variants are belt drive.  So if you are thinking of putting one in the Sachs 125 chassis, you have added complications.

Hi

Drive will be on the same side as the shock, but it doesn't look like it will present major problems. The swingarm is steel so I could put an extra brace on the R side easily enough.

On 12/30/2020 at 5:51 PM, Thunderbolt said:

If only there were some one on here who tuned one to 73bhp and put it into an ally frame with tz250 geometry?

I'd be interested to read about that!

15 minutes ago, 3narf said:

Thanks! Any info would be gladly received.

Well, I'm assuming it's the rotax 655 here (chain on right). If so yes you're right, it's a dry sump. On the peg the oil tank is in the top spine of the frame. Fueling is a pair of mikuni bst33's, coil is mounted above cylinder head on the rh side of the frame. Not sure where the sensor for water temp is but I'll have a look later (might need a prod....😂). The thermostat may be different on the bmw as the peg has a different cylinder head (5 valve) and water pump arrangement but again I'll have a look in a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swarf said:

Well, I'm assuming it's the rotax 655 here (chain on right). If so yes you're right, it's a dry sump. On the peg the oil tank is in the top spine of the frame. Fueling is a pair of mikuni bst33's, coil is mounted above cylinder head on the rh side of the frame. Not sure where the sensor for water temp is but I'll have a look later (might need a prod....😂). The thermostat may be different on the bmw as the peg has a different cylinder head (5 valve) and water pump arrangement but again I'll have a look in a bit.

Thanks, I can't remember exactly what year the engine is although I have a label somewhere with the year and mileage. It has a single inlet so I guess it needs a throttle body as opposed to carbs... 

4 minutes ago, 3narf said:

Thanks, I can't remember exactly what year the engine is although I have a label somewhere with the year and mileage. It has a single inlet so I guess it needs a throttle body as opposed to carbs... 

Ah, probably post 2000 then, they did run a single throttle body. In which case my info won't be of much use, sorry!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Swarf said:

Ah, probably post 2000 then, they did run a single throttle body. In which case my info won't be of much use, sorry!

No worries, I think it's something like a 2012. I suppose I'll have to shell out for throttle body, ECU etc. I have a wiring loom and ignition coils so I'll just keep accumulating bits and sell what's left at the end. 

Then there's the small matter of the 1st bike I'm building using the prototype watercooled CCM R30 engine. Uncharted territory there! I might have to seek professional help, in more ways than one. 😆