Parkside 20v impact driver

Ascalon

Lidl currently have what looks like a reasonably well put together battery impact driver in it's Parkside range for reasonable money.

In the recent past, I've hired such a beast at half the cost of this thing, for clutch nuts, alternator nuts etc.

The only thing is that this thing only has a quick release 1/4" hex drive. 

Despite being able to put out 220nm of torque, it only has that small drive. 

A quick look online reveals adapters up to a half inch square drive, with a 1/4" hex side that is described as impact compatible. Would these fittings really stand up to spinning off a 180nm clutch nut?

The other benefit is that the driver has a modular battery that fits other Parkside tools like an angle grinder, jigsaw, sander etc.

What do we think?

I'd be sceptical about a 1/4" drive. It seems ridiculously small for something generating that much torque?

I have a Snap On 1/2" impact wrench, and I'm pretty sure that would tear apart even an impact-rated 1/4" fitting

• Like 1

I bought their mains operated impact driver, I've yet to use it but it has a 1/2" drive, It was £40 and as soon as I've done two front sprockets it'll have paid for itself.

I'd be skeptical of a 1/4" drive, it's a lot of torque to put over a small area. 

On the flip side I've got one of their 20v drills and it's excellent for the money. The battery fits into the extendable pruner and that'll be getting used in the spring.

• Like 1

Don't do it. Total waste of time

I bought a 1/2in drive one the last time they had them on sale, about 6 weeks ago. Took it straight back for a refund as it was hopeless. It would only just undo car wheel nuts tightened to 100nm.

A workmate bought 2 & had the same issue. 

Edited by coombehouse
More
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ascalon said:

Lidl currently have what looks like a reasonably well put together battery impact driver in it's Parkside range for reasonable money.

In the recent past, I've hired such a beast at half the cost of this thing, for clutch nuts, alternator nuts etc.

The only thing is that this thing only has a quick release 1/4" hex drive. 

Despite being able to put out 220nm of torque, it only has that small drive. 

A quick look online reveals adapters up to a half inch square drive, with a 1/4" hex side that is described as impact compatible. Would these fittings really stand up to spinning off a 180nm clutch nut?

The other benefit is that the driver has a modular battery that fits other Parkside tools like an angle grinder, jigsaw, sander etc.

What do we think?

I see it's been answered, but, I tend to think it depends on what other tool brands you use..  I got lucky and bought a LOAD of makita stuff when the step father in law gave up being a chippy, some unused as he had gone back to it for a short time. 

I would rather now throw decent money at something or even look on bumtree/fartplace for a decent brand used one tbh,  as it pays for itself in the long run.. 

As for sprockets, I have a mate at ats, who if I can't undo the bolt with a decent long breaker bar etc, will crack it, then back up by wrench till I get home . Something, which I reckon if you have anyone you use a bit and is friendly, you can ask them. They can only say no.... 

• Like 1

Cheers all.

I might just leave it, it sounds like it is more for woodworking and construction than anything automotive or engineering based.

The Clarke branded machine mart corded ones are sensible money. Mine has been faultless and got some big wheel nuts off our tractor that had been rusted in for years. 

4 hours ago, millerich said:

The Clarke branded machine mart corded ones are sensible money. Mine has been faultless and got some big wheel nuts off our tractor that had been rusted in for years. 

Don’t bother with the battery Clarke ones though.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, EvilSpike said:

On the flip side I've got one of their 20v drills and it's excellent for the money. The battery fits into the extendable pruner and that'll be getting used in the spring.

Look, we all know the rules here, but if your Mrs has need for one of them, can we skip it please?

:lol: