Wear on shift drum

szrdave

My '94 Fireblade started trying to drop out of third gear on a closed throttle, so I swapped the tired 66k km motor with a lower mileage replacement about a year and a half ago.

On the last ride of this year it started skipping in second under power, so I pulled the motor with the intention of making one good gearbox from the two.

The shift fork for selecting second on motor no.2 is looking a little worse for wear:

IMG_20201226_233422784

Luckily the corresponding fork on motor no.1 is good, so I'll take it and 2nd gear (with 'shifter' gear') from the countershaft and add them to the remainder of the countershaft from motor no.2 along with the main shaft.

I  checked the shift barrel on no.2 and the corner where the tracks sweep to the side (to move the melted fork above) have visible wear:

IMG_20201227_205331139

The shift barrel from the no.1 motor is also showing some wear on the 2nd gear fork track, plus the 3rd gear track too.

The barrel is no longer available from Honda, I found one on eBay that look ok and have asked for more photos.

The service manual says 'inspect for wear or damage', how much wear is too much?

Edited by szrdave

4 hours ago, szrdave said:

The service manual says 'inspect for wear or damage', how much wear is too much?

I guess, if there's enough wear for there to be any play in the channel, then that's too much.

• Like 1

It’s not the best photo, but I can see some wear at the top, I would say that is past it, sorry.

A weld repair and heat treatment is what I would try if NLA.

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

It’s not the best photo, but I can see some wear at the top, I would say that is past it, sorry.

A weld repair and heat treatment is what I would try if NLA.

It's the best my phone camera can do I'm afraid. Hopefully the one I found on eBay will be in decent condition, otherwise I'll look into trying to get it repaired.

This is the third time I've had a 90's Honda gearbox shit itself, my '92 CBR600 track bike did one last year too :iconthumbsdownkq8:

7 hours ago, MonkeyJim said:

If it's a common problem, then maybe there are aftermarket alternatives, eg nova racing or similar?

It's a pretty untidy high mileage bike, it's not really worth the expense of an aftermarket gearbox.

I'm planning on selling it as soon as the weather improves, so i want to make sure it's going to last for the next owner. Ordered a mint looking replacement drum from eBay and will put as many km as possible on it before it's sold.

In other news Brexit has started to bite. EBay wanted £10 import duty on a £25 part to send it to Austria, which has fucked my regular source of bike parts. I've sent it to my parents in the UK for now, will either get them to post it on or pick it up next time I'm back.

41 minutes ago, szrdave said:

It's a pretty untidy high mileage bike, it's not really worth the expense of an aftermarket gearbox.

I'm planning on selling it as soon as the weather improves, so i want to make sure it's going to last for the next owner. Ordered a mint looking replacement drum from eBay and will put as many km as possible on it before it's sold.

In other news Brexit has started to bite. EBay wanted £10 import duty on a £25 part to send it to Austria, which has fucked my regular source of bike parts. I've sent it to my parents in the UK for now, will either get them to post it on or pick it up next time I'm back.

Wait, I thought a no tax, no import duty arrangement was struck with EU?

46 minutes ago, szrdave said:

I wasn't thinking of a whole aftermarket gearbox.

Just wondered if it was a common problem maybe there was a solution out there already

15 minutes ago, MonkeyJim said:

I wasn't thinking of a whole aftermarket gearbox.

Just wondered if it was a common problem maybe there was a solution out there already

If it was a keeper, it'd definitely be worth looking into The Factory Pro shift arm/star/spring are supposed to help with the shift quality on these too.

25 minutes ago, John21 said:

'Duty' is maybe the wrong word, eBay call it 'Import Charges' but don't break the specific costs down.

37 minutes ago, John21 said:

Were still in the transistion period till Friday. If ebay are charging already it's basically fraud.

13 hours ago, Superdunc said:

Were still in the transistion period till Friday. If ebay are charging already it's basically fraud.

I've never known eBay to miss an opportunity to make a bit extra :lol:

Although on this occasion, as the seller has an 'out of office' message until the new year, I think it's fair enough.

I had a Gsxr 11, which tried to jump out of 2nd. It turned out to be the dog ears, that were ever so slightly worn, on the edges. Used, but complete 'box for 50£ sorted it. 

9 hours ago, svingel said:

I had a Gsxr 11, which tried to jump out of 2nd. It turned out to be the dog ears, that were ever so slightly worn, on the edges. Used, but complete 'box for 50£ sorted it. 

Luckily I already have a second gearbox with most of the parts I need, it's just the shift drum that's damaged on both.