Old bikes low miles.

Doomkinder

If a bike has been stood for years and barely used for its, say 20 year lifespan, what would you do if anything before putting it into service?

plugs out, oil the bores. 

Oil and filter change.

bleed brake fluid.

check all hoses and filters in the fuel system.

no idea how you would check injectors and the like for fuel gunk?

new tyres.

check and seal all the loom connectors.

The thing I’m really curious about is the cam and crank bearings, how on earth do you get oil back in there, if they’re dry surely it’s potentially disastrous...

All of that, I'd take plugs out, fresh battery, take a flying lead to the starter solenoid coil feed and crank it for about 20 seconds,ignition off, to get oil circulating.  Then fresh fuel, plugs back in, and try it, keeping revs at a couple of 1000 rpm at first ( piper used to say starting a fresh motor and letting it tick over straight away was bad )

As I am an idiot with a past history of wrecking engines I'd ignore this and wait until someone who actually knows what they are talking about comes along.

Edited by DougW
  • Like 1

Biggest problem could be fuel related, tank corrosion, pump, blocked filter etc. It would be worth draining, pulling the pump & having a look. 

Other than the good advice already given, the brakes will probably be seized & the tyres old or perished.

Why do much on it that costs, if you don’t know how good it’ll be?

Any chance of lifting the valve cover? And raising the oil level temporarily to reach crank level? Lay the bike on it’s side to do so? Cam chain tensioner might be another place to squirt some.

Replace fuel seems a solid suggestion.. especially what’s already passed the filter back when.

• Like 1

Fresh oil and a spin on the kicker/leccy starter for a few seconds with the clutch in and the plugs out. That's all I'd ever do if I had no reason to suspect anything.

If the motor is suspect enough to make you worry about doing that, you might as well pull it apart and investigate anyway. Likewise if any faults show themselves after spinning it over.

• Like 3

My dad was given a VFR400 which had stood for 11 years. He filled the tank up with fresh fuel, went at it with EasyStart and turned it over with a jump pack. Fired up alright and eventually settled to an idle. 

I say at the very least crank it with no ignition on to circulate some oil, then fresh fuel and have at it. Once it's running you'll see where there are any fluid leaks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bignige said:

What bike is it?

All the above sounds good?

What does the current oil look like?

Bless you, purely speculative curiosity. There’s a k3 gsxr1000 on eBay that has barely moved: 9000miles one owner. It’s on bt014s 😳 

It’s one of the bikes I would like next but I’m in no position at the moment.

Edited by Doomkinder

Take the cam cover off (check the valve tolerances) put oil on the cam chain so it flows down it and over the cams. If the journals have little rubbers you can drop oil down those to do the journals. 

Oil, coolant, filters, plugs, clean the injection. Start it up. 

Honestly though these aren't big money bikes you might be better advised on buying a better one. 

Jump leads to a big diesel, fresh petrol and a big squirt of eazy start in the air intakes. Soon as it fires bounce it off the limiter. 
Any potential faults should soon become apparent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, chocyboy said:

Jump leads to a big diesel, fresh petrol and a big squirt of eazy start in the air intakes. Soon as it fires bounce it off the limiter. 

This. 

Engines dont like being coddled. Fastest way to operating temperature is by being at, or above, the limiter. 

To really clean it out, run it without any oil for the first few runs. That way it'll polish up the shells lovely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Evilchicken0 said:

...Honestly though these aren't big money bikes you might be better advised on buying a better one. 

There’s loads about at the moment, like I say I’m not in a position to buy and it’s an expensive dealership classified. 

Its minty fresh and has basically been ornamental for its entire existence. Still got the standard screen! I’d imagine it’s never seen WOT so it could well be a bit suspect...

It was a hypothetical, what you would do, if anything, to get it back into regular use in a way that would make it trustworthy.

Edited by Doomkinder

Depends how well it was decommissioned (if at all) 

If it wasn't drained of fuel you'll probably have to ultrasonic the injectors or carbs, flush out all the piping and pull the fuel pump for a clean

Hopefully the fuel tank won't be rusty inside but possible if it's condensated a bit or fuel has separated. 

Oil wise I'd just spin it over on the starter until the oil light goes off, it'll get oil around itself quick enough. 

4 hours ago, wavey said:

Depends how well it was decommissioned (if at all) 

This ^^

Where was is stored / stood?

My old NC30 was drained, prep'd and stood in my living room :eusa_think: Warm, dry; it didn't take long to flush / fill with fresh fluids and get things up and running*

(*Still turned it over, without spark, to circulate oil before actually 'firing' it up).

If something's been stood for a good long while, then fluids are likely to have soaked up a bit of moisture (unavoidable) and gummed up in places.

So the same (flush, fill, flush again) and then more. Just treat it like running in a brand new engine :eusa_think:

I'd be tempted to lift off the cam' cover(s), as the condition of the cams (any oil film? any signs of corrosion?) are a reasonable sign of how others things will have coped with being stood (generally the highest point in a motor, this is why it's important to get the oil circulating, before actually 'firing up' or applying 'revs'.

G

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Doomkinder said:

Bless you, purely speculative curiosity. There’s a k3 gsxr1000 on eBay that has barely moved: 9000miles one owner. It’s on bt014s 😳 

It’s one of the bikes I would like next but I’m in no position at the moment.

Link?

22 hours ago, chocyboy said:

All of this. Of course, the clutch will also be seized on. To sort this your best bet is to put the front wheel up against your patio door (so you can see the bike in the reflection, make sure there's nothing going wrong), rev the bike to about 9000rpm with the clutch lever in, then stamp it into gear. This should free up the clutch in no time.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

All of this. Of course, the clutch will also be seized on. To sort this your best bet is to put the front wheel up against your patio door (so you can see the bike in the reflection, make sure there's nothing going wrong), rev the bike to about 9000rpm with the clutch lever in, then stamp it into gear. This should free up the clutch in no time.

Preferably with a live webcam feed

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jaycee said:

Preferably with a live webcam feed

It's going to help with the diagnostics, so yes, of course.

In truth, the only bike I have ever owned that had a clutch stick on is my Beta trials bike and it does it within 24 hours of not being used, every single time.

A couple of stalls and restarts usually sorts it, as does letting it tick over for ten minutes with the clutch in after starting. I think it's known as 'character' and is to be expected from a pukka Italian competition bike.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Damnthistinleg said:

In truth, the only bike I have ever owned that had a clutch stick on is my Beta trials bike and it does it within 24 hours of not being used, every single time.

A couple of stalls and restarts usually sorts it, as does letting it tick over for ten minutes with the clutch in after starting. I think it's known as 'character' and is to be expected from a pukka Italian competition bike.

Katana and VFRC45 were both stuck. A bit of warmth in the engine then a garage wall and a bit of revs sorts them out,

4 hours ago, lesviffer 750 said:

More dreamers, jumping on the bandwagon.

If I had spare cash lying about, I’d phone and offer £2.5k firm and probably be told to fuck off!