Spotlights needed

lambretta1970

Hi all, looking for recommendations on spotlights. I have a yamaha mt07 and have tried various bulbs, but I think the reflector design is just rubbish. Hard to believe a bike can be sold with such a poor headlight! 

Any one used anything really good or do I just play the ebay lottery... 

Ta

Used these to good effect before 

Some of them have 3 modes, bright, brighter and flashing, they can go technical and revert to flashing mode officer, you can bypass it with a bit of solder according to YouTube 

Cheap enough to buy 2 sets as spares 

Screenshot_20201204_055426_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies. I've looked at the eBay ones and was put off by the thought of hit and miss quality, but as you say they are ridiculously cheap.

Also I have just removed a $40 hid kit that worked brilliantly but died after a month... Must be the h4 type bulb with moving parts. 

Anyone riding a mt07 in the dark? 

2 hours ago, ssray said:

Used these to good effect before 

Some of them have 3 modes, bright, brighter and flashing, they can go technical and revert to flashing mode officer, you can bypass it with a bit of solder according to YouTube 

Cheap enough to buy 2 sets as spares 

Screenshot_20201204_055426_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Can't remember if mine are 3000 or 5000 lumens but they look identical to the above, cost £12.99 and I've had them for over 3 years. Work beautifully well and give an extra 50 yards visibility to the point that the proper headlights are almost irrelevant.

2020-11-03_01-25-57

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lambretta1970 said:

Cheers for the replies. I've looked at the eBay ones and was put off by the thought of hit and miss quality, but as you say they are ridiculously cheap.

Also I have just removed a $40 hid kit that worked brilliantly but died after a month... Must be the h4 type bulb with moving parts. 

Engine bars pair of cibies close the thread 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lambretta1970 said:

I have a few h4 hid kits that I don't use anymore, would you like them? 

Post cost only, if so will see what I have and message you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ssray said:

I have a few h4 hid kits that I don't use anymore, would you like them? 

Post cost only, if so will see what I have and message you

Hi, that's really kind, if you don't mind having a rummage that would be amazing 👍

• Like 1

Brightest thing out there are probably Cibie Mini Oscar LED's not cheap but exceptional. The design of the light source and reflector is class leading. Hella and others probably have equivalent tech.

Just a note. The Lumens bit is not brightness it's a colour. 5000k is close to sunlight, 6000k is what you probably want for a white light that penetrates well into murky darkness. The more blue colours like 8000k and 12000k may be very bright, but your ability to notice any benefit degrades with age. After you are about 25 you loose the ability to see these wavelengths of light. It is why very blue HID kits are favoured by younger car modders and why children enjoy sparkly things much more than older people.

• Like 1

Not completely true I think, lumens is the amount of light emitted per amount of time. 

Xenon is measured in "Kelvin" which depicts the color "temperature"

You can have 10000k xenon with 1 Lumen. And other way round. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, fastfreddybikes said:

Engine bars pair of Denali D4's close the thread 

Fixed.

Depends on what bike you are putting them on but if BMW or KTM then Denali D4's with a CANsmart controller are all you'll ever need.

Drop me a pm if you want to discuss in detail or take a look at www.moto-mate.com

Edited by Herr V.
  • Like 1