Split Bearings - What / Why ?

Adarmo

I have a worn bearing in my KTM clutch cover.

I admit I didn't look too closely but it turns out it's a split bearing (it's made in two halves)

I discovered this after I'd ordered a new one £14 and they only sent 1/2 !

Why is a split bearing used ?

Why would KTM sell them in halves, surely you can't just replace 1/2 a bearing ?

I've googled and can't find anything except that split bearings are used for ease of renewal on large machines or to allow movement - neither seem to apply

3 hours ago, Adarmo said:

Its the 950SM but I suspect it's the same in all LC8 engines

Actually I could go and have a look at the parts fiche for the later 990 superduke etc and see if they're still used

Trevor Pope is very good for parts, highly recommended, and online fiche 

I think you are looking at part #8, it says 2 required.

Yes it is.

I ordered from Pope but I went via the cltuch cover

https://www.trevorpopemotorcycles.co.uk/index.php?main_page=ktm_fiche_finder&model=9860F0&group=2663&cat=32&bike_name=2006 950 SUPERMOTO ORANGE (AUS%2FUK)&section=1&groupname=CLUTCH COVER

Which gives you the same part number, which I put into the part finder and it came up with

https://www.trevorpopemotorcycles.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=60030026010

No pic nor mention of needing 2

I'm still intrigued why it is a split bearing  (and why it costs £28)

Also slightly concerned why mine is worn on a 20k bike

46 minutes ago, Adarmo said:

Yes it is.

I ordered from Pope but I went via the cltuch cover

https://www.trevorpopemotorcycles.co.uk/index.php?main_page=ktm_fiche_finder&model=9860F0&group=2663&cat=32&bike_name=2006 950 SUPERMOTO ORANGE (AUS%2FUK)&section=1&groupname=CLUTCH COVER

Which gives you the same part number, which I put into the part finder and it came up with

https://www.trevorpopemotorcycles.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=60030026010

No pic nor mention of needing 2

I'm still intrigued why it is a split bearing  (and why it costs £28)

Also slightly concerned why mine is worn on a 20k bike

Yeah I see what you mean, that doesn't mention needing two.  

I'm guessing you didn't order over the phone then?  I would have thought Rob the parts guy there would have said you needed 2.

No idea why it's a split bearing, and yeah it's not great that it's worn on a 20k bike.  I guess that's the joy and wonder of KTM ownership - I had worn camshafts at 12k.  

Assuming this is like the rc8 motor it's in effect a third main bearing for the crank, a small one but there to support the crank and primary drive. 

A ball/roller bearing that would be strong enough would take up much more space, be more expensive to manufacturer and would probably have a shorter life expectancy. 

I'd assume like the rc8 that the oil feed for the crank is from the clutch cover, so rather important to get the bearing size right so it doesn't lose too much oil and kill the crank. 

You'll also need the driver and guide to fit it, and putting the case in the oven will help too. 

Pretty much everyone is using shell bearings on all crank positions now, stronger, cheaper and smaller than the ball/roller equivalent 

• Like 1

Thanks but my question really is why is it split ?

I've never encountered split bearings in a situation like this, why isn't it just a single round bearing ?

Having tried the oven and picks etc I'm waiting for a blind bearing puller to be delivered. 👍

Usually they're positioned on a split line, top and bottom of crankcases or rods. So quite possible nobody manufactures them as a complete ring. 

On race bikes I've occasionally built them with mis matched shells, to get clearances exactly where I need them. But it would be easier if they came in pairs

Ktm are awkward for positioning them. That one is especially awkward. Fitting is almost as much fun as removal. It has to be an interference fit to stop it spinning. 

The Crankcase halves are almost as bad. 

I don't think ktm really expected them to be changed. On a road bike they'd normally never get replaced. 

Do you know why yours has worn, or has it got damaged during cover removal/refit? 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 10:56 AM, wavey said:

I don't think ktm really expected them to be changed. On a road bike they'd normally never get replaced. 

Do you know why yours has worn, or has it got damaged during cover removal/refit? 

That is what's worrying me

I can't find anyone who has replaced them and I bought my bike because it was low mileage, with full history as I wanted the best chance of a low hassle keeper

It makes me wonder what else is worn

When I bought it the oil was old and overfull but no water was in it, yet the water pump leaked immediately in my ownership

🤔

Hopefully the cover was just sitting out of place a bit, could explain the wear and the water pump leaking. 

If it's the same size as an rc8 bearing you can borrow my drift and collar when it's time to reassemble 

Thanks for the offer

My bearing puller finally arrived today - heated cover in the oven to 175c and after 4 attempts - I even tried cooling the bearing with ice - it hasn't moved

Not sure whether to just put it back together or risk damaging the case / taking to an engineering shop

Are there supposed to be locating dowels on a couple of the bolts that secure the cover to the engine cases? Has some muppet forgotten to refit them after having the cover off? Could cause a slight misalignment leading to premature wear on bearings and seals...

On 12/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, Adarmo said:

Thanks for the offer

My bearing puller finally arrived today - heated cover in the oven to 175c and after 4 attempts - I even tried cooling the bearing with ice - it hasn't moved

Not sure whether to just put it back together or risk damaging the case / taking to an engineering shop

I had to borrow a set of pullers with an internal lip so they had a face to pull against the bearing. Still tight though. 

9 hours ago, wavey said:

I had to borrow a set of pullers with an internal lip so they had a face to pull against the bearing. Still tight though. 

They’re called split collet bearing pullers, I’ve got a set of the Sykes pickavant ones, they work well but every now and again you get a really stubborn bearing that needs heat as well.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 8:27 AM, wavey said:

Yes that's the type I bought they come with a small slide hammer - just wouldn't budge them

Bugger! Might have to cut through it carefully with a hacksaw blade, even 3/4 through would probably be enough to remove the strength from it

2 hours ago, Adarmo said:

Yes that's the type I bought they come with a small slide hammer - just wouldn't budge them

I've come across some at work that I've had to, carefully, destroy. Making sure not to damage the surface below

1 hour ago, wavey said:

Bugger! Might have to cut through it carefully with a hacksaw blade, even 3/4 through would probably be enough to remove the strength from it

Bearing steel can be bastard to cut with a hacksaw, propably be better buying a cheap pencil grinder with the grinding stones.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:48 AM, Frosty_The_Iceman said:

Are there supposed to be locating dowels on a couple of the bolts that secure the cover to the engine cases? Has some muppet forgotten to refit them after having the cover off? Could cause a slight misalignment leading to premature wear on bearings and seals...

Good point, but both are there

22 minutes ago, 426hemi said:

Bearing steel can be bastard to cut with a hacksaw, propably be better buying a cheap pencil grinder with the grinding stones.

I have a cheap dremel - very rarely used but when it's required, it's priceless.

Just back from my mates who had a larger slide hammer, still not moving so I'll dust off the dremel 

Well that went surprisingly well, ground through 80% still wouldn't move, ground through 90% and then bent it in on itself and it just lifted out - anyone want to buy a blind bearing puller ? 😂

I'll bask in my success tonight and will attempt to fit the new one tomorrow - that should be fun

Thanks all

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Adarmo said:

Well that went surprisingly well, ground through 80% still wouldn't move, ground through 90% and then bent it in on itself and it just lifted out - anyone want to buy a blind bearing puller ? 😂

I'll bask in my success tonight and will attempt to fit the new one tomorrow - that should be fun

Thanks all

Well done so far, keep it up

12 hours ago, Adarmo said:

Thanks all

I’d keep the bearing puller as they’re ideal for swingarm bearings.