Headlight mount options

lorenzo

I've got the team north bros sat relaxing in my garage at the moment, it's the 3rd time it's been there. Is it an old friend coming to visit or a reoccurring nightmare? Either way, it needs a dose of practicality and headlights are the name of the game. On most bikes I'd simply measure the with of the fork uppers, buy some clamps to suit then bolt it all up. The issue is that this is wearing some RS250 forks which have a taper from immediately under the top yoke, gradually getting wider until it hits the bottom yoke. Depending on how big the triangular part I use to attach the light is then I'm going to need clamps as far apart as about 6mm or so, and as such it might be tricky finding 2 pairs that are a matching design but the two different sizes.

And alternative might be to weld a boss onto the headstock and get a light that sits stationary in the middle, not dissimilar to a speed triple or something, but that means both the boss and the bracket that the lights sit on need welding, an extra expense.

I have an idea about making a pair of plates that are clamped between the top & bottom yokes. This can hold not only the light itself, but also have indicators and the fuse box on there (as stock the fuse box is under the headlight, hence the loom is the right shape for it to live there too). Before I go buying big thick slabs of aluminium to make the plates, does anybody have any smart ideas about other ways to mount a headlight on a slightly awkward pair of forks?

2 minutes ago, jaycee said:

I was thinking of a race number board with a high beam and dipped beam like those in a 749/999

Attached with gaffer tape or blue tack?

In terms of style of light, it could be anything, at the moment the issue is actually sticking it to the bike.

3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Attached with gaffer tape or blue tack?

In terms of style of light, it could be anything, at the moment the issue is actually sticking it to the bike.

Double-sided Gorrilla tape of course. 

1 hour ago, 426hemi said:

Lsl do some nice headlights and mounting brackets.

But because of the tapered forks I'd have to buy 2 sets, one that fits the top, one that fits the bottom, remortgage my house to pay for them, then hope that somebody equally foolish out there wants to fit a headlight onto a pair of RS250 forks and sell them the spare bits left over. While it's a plan, it's not one to put at the top of the list.

• Like 1

Enduro headlights use rubber straps that go round the forks, works well. Could get a number board that does the same thing and chop a hole for a lamp of your choosing. 

Or check the parts for sale thread, I've got an fz1n headlight for sale which has the metal cage bracketry thing with it, bolts originally to the bottom of the top yoke and the front of the bottom yoke. 

Black-Motorcycle-Headlight-Bracket-Meter

Edited by Alex_H
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alex_H said:

Enduro headlights use rubber straps that go round the forks, works well. Could get a number board that does the same thing and chop a hole for a lamp of your choosing. 

Or check the parts for sale thread, I've got an fz1n headlight for sale which has the metal cage bracketry thing with it, bolts originally to the bottom of the top yoke and the front of the bottom yoke. 

Black-Motorcycle-Headlight-Bracket-Meter

What's the distance between top & bottom mounts on that? Also the enduro lights on rubber straps is nothing short of brilliant, cheers.

2 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

What's the distance between top & bottom mounts on that? Also the enduro lights on rubber straps is nothing short of brilliant, cheers.

I'll nip down the shed and measure for you when I get 5 this eve 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alex_H said:

I'll nip down the shed and measure for you when I get 5 this eve 

Absolutely no hurry at all. The bike's been, hmm, 10 years in the making, I can wait a little while longer.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Absolutely no hurry at all. The bike's been, hmm, 10 years in the making, I can wait a little while longer.

Between 190mm and 220mm depending on which way you turn the lower bracket

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Alex_H said:

Between 190mm and 220mm depending on which way you turn the lower bracket

I'm going to give it a miss, but thanks for the offer, I think it's going to be a little bit big.