best chemical to sluice out plastic tank

riversbikes

Have a 1098 plastic tank.  Bought used, thought it was clean.  Filled with gas to test run the bike -- success, it runs!  However a peek in the tank shows that there is what appears to be paint residue from a previous job floating in the fuel.  Didn't run the bike much as I didn't want to plug the filter and or gum up the throttle bodies.  Thoughts on how to clean the tank out?  Being plastic, it can't be too "hot" a chemical?  I'm assuming the tank base needs to come off to properly do a job.  Varsol?  More fuel?  Acetone?  Good old water and soap?  The bike is going into storage for the winter so I have time.  Looking for best options...

If the particles are loose in the fuel, I would just repeat flush the tank with fuel to clear it. Sure there are more expensive flashy routes, but this has worked fine for me in the past 😉

Steer clear of things like acetone, ethanol (what are termed "polar" solvents) - they wont be kind to the plastic, they may cause swelling or distortion. It's designed for petrol so use petrol. Can you get a boroscope / inspection camera in there to have a good look?

• Like 1

Wouldn't it make sense to have a crack at flushing it out with water first on the basis that it's both the cheapest & least likely to affect the tank? If it doesn't work, what have you lost by trying?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Evilchicken0 said:

Fire ?

Bottles of fire are notoriously difficult to handle though

I mean, you wouldnt even get it into the tank before it's all used up

Edited by Alpinestarhero
  • Like 2

When I de-rusted a tank I had to soak up some of the leftover water and wipe some of the rust dust in the bottom seams. I used some toilet paper folded up and gaffa taped to a length of metal rod. 

I'd say for this you can use a bit of petrol and a bit of washing up sponge. Not sure about gaffa taping it the petrol will melt the adhesive so maybe some wire or a clamp of some sort. 

Edited by Evilchicken0