Spark plug thread holes

lorenzo

I've got an old cylinder head here from a SRAD, does anybody know thread the spark plug holes are and where I can get a die that'll do it? No, I'm not making home made spark plugs, that'd be just stupid.

Edited by lorenzo

17 minutes ago, 426hemi said:

What’s happened, stripped thread?

No, I've got an old head I want to make a light fitting out of! Hence wanting the die, not a tap, I'm after screwing the fittings into the spark plug holes, although I could just make some cylindrical thingys to fit in, it'd be nice to actually have them go into the threads. Don't know why, it's not like they're going to fall out due to a sudden loss of gravity or something.

Edited by lorenzo

Drill and tap it to a standard thread size. Worst case use a helicoil

21 hours ago, Evilchicken0 said:

Could you just use old plugs, cut the tops off and use them ??? It would be in keeping with the head 

I don't have any old plugs, obviously to buy a new set just to drill the middle out and fit a light fitting in would be silly. The whole thing's silly, but this especially so.

20 hours ago, EXUPDEL said:

Drill and tap it to a standard thread size. Worst case use a helicoil

They don't need to be tapped, it's a set of 'fake plugs' I'm trying to get in there, so it'd be a die I'm after. To be honest, there's no real need to tap them at all but it'd be nice to have them fixed in place rather than just held in by gravity. If i have a tremor in the garage large enough to lift 4 LED torches out of 4 spark plug holes I think that lighting over the top of my lathe is going to be the least of my concerns.

There's a company called Avon tap and die that do non standard taps and dies. 

https://www.avontapdie.co.uk

Not sure what size you need but I have just measured the plug for a cbr6 and its M10 x 1.0 pitch which they have a split die for

https://www.avontapdie.co.uk/m10x1-split-circular-die-hss

Edited by EXUPDEL

If you have a lathe, could you not use it to screwcut the thread ?

I have got as far as getting the right gears for my boxford to cut 1mm threads, but not got round to trying it yet.

( I want to make an M14 x 1mm adapter to screw into a plug hole so I can spin a 2t cylinder head and reshape the combustion chamber, and probably ruin it )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougW said:

I have got as far as getting the right gears for my boxford to cut 1mm threads, but not got round to trying it yet.

( I want to make an M14 x 1mm adapter to screw into a plug hole so I can spin a 2t cylinder head and reshape the combustion chamber, and probably ruin it )

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's M14 X 1.25mm for M14 spark plugs as standard.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, coombehouse said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's M14 X 1.25mm for M14 spark plugs as standard.

That`s OK, I have the gears to do 1.25 as well, thanks for the info !

17 hours ago, DougW said:

I probably could and probably should too but I'll have to have a look at what swapping the gears entails on mine and if I've got them in the boxes of bits that came with it. It's be really nice if the bodies of the torches I'm putting in were 10mm wide and have enough meat on them for me to cut a thread into too. That'll be the most sure-fire way of making 100% certain that they're about 8.5mm wide.

• Like 1

Top lathe tip!

A tap of the appropriate pitch can be mounted in the toolpost and used as a thread chaser on pieces with a wide variety of diameters.

Quick and dirty but quite effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Damnthistinleg said:

Top lathe tip!

A tap of the appropriate pitch can be mounted in the toolpost and used as a thread chaser on pieces with a wide variety of diameters.

Quick and dirty but quite effective.

I normally do this but just hold the tap by hand & run the chuck in reverse