Removing paint from factory alloy

tonk

Does alloy oxidise if you strip the paint? For example, my OEM brake and clutch are black. If I strip the paint and polish them will anything nasty happen? 🤔

I did this back in 90's to parts on my GPZ900 and if you don't keep them shiny with Autosol they go oxidise as other have said. But for the 2mins it takes to go over them with polish it may be worth it for that genuine 90's look!

• Thanks 1

I've been rummaging this afty and found a spare lever from an old bike, I'll experiment on that (the clutch lever of Dorian Gray?) 

You had a GPZ900? You utter bastard!  I could only afford a GPZ550 with a concrete unitrak 

• Haha 1

If it's painted originally, it will oxidise a lot when you take that finish off.

Anodising is actually a process that oxidises the component very evenly and then dye is added to get the colour. Once an ally component is fully oxidised like this you shouldn't see it start to form those nasty white crystals. but if you expose raw metal with wear or damage, you will.

• Like 1

So how do factory parts stay shiny?  Stuff like rearsets, etc.  Are they lacquered?  I've got an unused pair that must be 15 years old but still look like new.