Flushing/cleaning fuel tank

MarkB

Never had to do this before so looking for some forum wisdom on how to do it and what to use. Bike has been stood for sometime and the petrol left in there was like dark brown piss!!

I use Deox-C.

So drain the tank and let it dry out. Use a drill extension and a small wire wheel to get as much of the rust as possible. Take off the tap and possibly the fuel level sender, shake as much rust out as possible then put it in your bath and flush it with water. It helps to take the shower head off the pipe 😉. Put the tap back on, turn your boiler hot water to max and fill to over half. Boil a kettle and mix the deox-c then add it to the tank ... leave overnight. Next day turn the tank upside down ( put bubble wrap under it) and leave again. Wait till the missus complains  take the tap off again, empty the tank then flush out.

QdrhJNy.jpg

WmPoI8M.jpg

Leave it overnight to dry out a bit. Next day fold some toilet paper and tape it to a stick use a torch and soak any water and rust up. Chuck some methylated spirit in to soak the last water up. 

VNHzqZw.jpg

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Evilchicken0 said:

I use Deox-C.

So drain the tank and let it dry out. Use a drill extension and a small wire wheel to get as much of the rust as possible. Take off the tap and possibly the fuel level sender, shake as much rust out as possible then put it in your bath and flush it with water. It helps to take the shower head off the pipe 😉. Put the tap back on, turn your boiler hot water to max and fill to over half. Boil a kettle and mix the deox-c then add it to the tank ... leave overnight. Next day turn the tank upside down ( put bubble wrap under it) and leave again. Wait till the missus complains  take the tap off again, empty the tank then flush out.

QdrhJNy.jpg

WmPoI8M.jpg

Leave it overnight to dry out a bit. Next day fold some toilet paper and tape it to a stick use a torch and soak any water and rust up. Chuck some methylated spirit in to soak the last water up. 

VNHzqZw.jpg

Plumbing by Dennis Nilsen. 

🙂

16 hours ago, Evilchicken0 said:

I use Deox-C.

QdrhJNy.jpg

WmPoI8M.jpg

VNHzqZw.jpg

Not sure the Mrs will appreciate me using the bath, but I'll give it a go.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarkB said:

Not sure the Mrs will appreciate me using the bath, but I'll give it a go.....

I live in a flat and rent a council garage so some stuff has to be done where theres leccy and hot water. 

On 10/17/2020 at 6:11 PM, Evilchicken0 said:

I use Deox-C.

QdrhJNy.jpg

WmPoI8M.jpg

VNHzqZw.jpg

Yep, +1 for Deoux-c. Didn't use the bath to flush it but did use her hairdryer to help dry it out 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, MarkB said:

Yep, +1 for Deoux-c. Didn't use the bath to flush it but did use her hairdryer to help dry it out 😄

I did that on another tank but thought I'd try meths on this one

White vinegar works amazingly at getting rid of old petrol and rust.  I had a bike with a very rusty tank that was half full of stinking, years-old petrol. - white vinegar brought it up like new.  Bought from Tesco, cost fuck all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Evilchicken0 said:

Cool - 1kg is about £15 +pnp should be enough to do 2 tanks. 

That's what I bought, and have used about half so enough left for the next old shitter/restoration  project I  convince myself is worth saving 

• Like 1

I've used deox-c or white vinegar on lightly rusted tanks but for more rusty things, brick acid works better if you have plenty of metal thickness to work with & is quick. Electrolysis is best for non aggressive rust removal though. 

• Like 2