Drill Guides

Evilchicken0

1 hour ago, Evilchicken0 said:

You can get jigs / guides for woodworking but I wondered if there are any for drilling snapped bolts ???

Yes.

mostly made by toolmakers 

but commercial ones are available for common applications, link below

https://www.stomskiracing.com/products/exhaust-head-stud-repair-kit

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bignige said:

So we have the 911 covered. 

What about one for a 400 Yamaha. 

😏

Make one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Evilchicken0 said:

🙄 if I could make one I probably wouldnt be asking.

What do you want it for?

Probably cheaper and easier to take it to a machine shop and get them to do it.

Most of the ones that I have had to do at work where someone else has attempted to do it, they have made it harder than if they had left it alone. Generally they have drilled off centre and/or at an angle and it means you have to spend time getting things central and square again.

No disrepsect to others, it is far easier when you have carbide tooling, a cnc machining centre and 30 years of machining experience.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, gixerboy1 said:

. Generally they have drilled off centre and/or at an angle and it means you have to spend time getting things central and square again.

Imagine if there was something to square and centre it to start with 

6 minutes ago, Evilchicken0 said:

Imagine if there was something to square and centre it to start with 

Indeed.

The biggest problem is that it is difficult to have one tool that would be able to be used in even 25% of cases where a bolt or stud breaks. Space is a limiting factor in a lot of cases, before you get into the different sizes etc.

If the bolt or stud is petruding above the hole, you could drill a piece of metal (the harder the better)with a drill press the same size as the bolt. Turn the metal over and drill (not all the way though, you still want to be able to use the original hole to locate the centre of the stud) to take a drill bush the same size as the tapping size for the broken bolt. Hardened drill bushes are freely available.

I got the broken bolt out and chased the threads. 

I looked at the exhaust nut (the long type) and thought if there was a tube coming out of it I could have centred the drill bit. Looked on ebay but all I saw were timber guides 

• 3 months later...

Not much use I know, but I made a drill jig to drill out oil cooled Gsxr studs. Located in the exhaust port, with holes that corresponded with the stud positions. Made a couple of hardened drill bushes ( one to start 3.0, and a 6.8mm one). These were interchangeable in the ‘stud holes’ ( so you could start with the 3mm one, then swap to the 6.8) Had to make a couple of extended drills as well? 
Pushed the jig into the exhaust port, located over the broken stud, bolted through the other stud hole to hold it in place, and then started drilling using an electric hand drill. Did about half a dozen like this, with the engine in situ.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 2:04 PM, eddie said:

Not much use I know, but I made a drill jig to drill out oil cooled Gsxr studs. Located in the exhaust port, with holes that corresponded with the stud positions. Made a couple of hardened drill bushes ( one to start 3.0, and a 6.8mm one). These were interchangeable in the ‘stud holes’ ( so you could start with the 3mm one, then swap to the 6.8) Had to make a couple of extended drills as well? 
Pushed the jig into the exhaust port, located over the broken stud, bolted through the other stud hole to hold it in place, and then started drilling using an electric hand drill. Did about half a dozen like this, with the engine in situ.

Same here, it's safely tucked in my toolbox.