Used mag wheels

agressor

Use a bit common sense. 

Are they corroded? Look for wrinkly paint. More than a few thumb nail size blisters I'd walk away in less you know what you are doing.

Even only if the corrosion hasn't broken the paint the tale tale paint wrinkles can hide significant corrosion.

If tyres are fitted get them removed and check the bead seat for corrosion.

Lots of scare stories about hidden cracks and needing them x-rayed etc.

A visual inspection should tell all you need to know.

13 minutes ago, agressor said:

Its ebay can't tell. Would love to get some lightweight wheels but dont want to make them the last nail in the coffin :)

I guess it doesnt look too good.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Zx-12r-Felge-PVM-Magnesium/293721218419?hash=item4463261d73:g:7fYAAOSwVPFfUpoI

Those PVMs always look awful. 

Difficult to tell for sure but they dont look great.

• Like 1

Thanks Sev for input.

I dont know if this is worth it to play with. Its only rear. Need to find front also.
People bitch about those mag wheels used on the streets, especially when vintage ones.

On other hand price of new ones killin. Tough nut to brake.

p.s.

Do all the aftermarket wheels are track use only?

Edited by agressor

11 hours ago, 426hemi said:

Marchesini do the genisi mag wheels for road use.

Possibly the most expensive aftermarket wheel out there.

In the past you could get really good deals on new pvm wheels if you knew how to approach them.

To be fair aluminium wheels have come a long way too. But also much more care is needed. Old stock wheels where build like tanks. They all got a lot more fragile..

Edited by TLRS

3 hours ago, blow_away said:

Why mag wheels for street use?

BikeHPS do "easy" payments on new wheels. Personally I'd choose the Oz Piega as they look mint, but beauty is the the eye of the beer holder.

https://www.bikehps.com/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?SS=Kawasaki+ZX12R+2001+Wheels&ACTION.x=0&ACTION.y=0&page=search&PR=-1&TB=A

I'd second this quite correct opinion. OZ Piega's are all the awesome.

Talk to TPCS, 145 £  for refurbishing is too much to risk. Its about 320£ to lose on this particular one wheel.

This is it, find something on ebay and make it pain in the ass... :)

Edited by agressor

OZ Piegas are definitely the best finished and lookers of the aftermarket alloy wheels. I have a set that I bought at the NEC one year, after going back and forth between half a dozen different brands at the show, inspecting them all carefully and asking questions about quality and aftersales. Mine are sat in a box, and every now and then I go and carefully lick them for a few minutes, mmm, yummy.

There's also the Dymag UP7X's going for £1800 a pair at BikeHPS, to consider. I fancy a pair for my 790.

2 hours ago, sev said:

But back to the wheel... to me it looks like the paint is a bit pants, as if it was corrosion, why the barrel of the wheel and not the rims?

My rear PVM is the same, rim is nice and smooth, centre and spokes rough as fuck.

• Like 1

Alright party people I bought it. Steve from TPCS (huge thanks for Him) told me that wheel is in good shape, not as bad as we thought.
No visible sign of shit happen to it.
Waiting to get it and will let You know.
Thanks for help.

• Like 4

Ok I have the wheel. Wheel it fits perfect so Im glad. Wasnt sure if seller wasnt a scammer. Condition of it is also good.

Some small chips from tyre change I guess. Tomorrow will go to custom bikes workshop to show it and listen thier opinion about it.

I was also wondering about color of it. I think Kawasaki green would look awsome, how You feel about it?

P9162870.JPG

My logic is that if your bike is too distinctive, there’s less chance of flying under the radar on those few occasions  where you may have had a slight lack of judgement.

“What did the bike look like?, “Black with green wheels”. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, heds954 said:

My logic is that if your bike is too distinctive, there’s less chance of flying under the radar on those few occasions  where you may have had a slight lack of judgement.

“What did the bike look like?, “Black with green wheels”. 

Love it Mate!!! ha ha

Well to be honest its only one wheel, rear one...

Edited by agressor

1 hour ago, agressor said:

You got me, that was the idea.
I can almost hear it:
Suspect is running, one green wheel... damn haha.

"Suspect is hatless! I repeat - hatless!"

• Haha 2