Gsxr interchangeable parts?

hylar1000

Do any of the anorak types happen to know which forks from later bikes are a straight swap into K1 thou forks?

Also, is the rear shock a straight swap with later models and do later models have more adjustability?

Pretty sure 1000k1 has 207mm fork spacing. And if they’re 50/54mm forks, up to 1000k6 is 50/54mm and 207mm too.

1000k7/k8 is 50/56. If you don’t mind fiddling with lockstops/steering lock, get the yokes to go with it.. might slot in from bearing/stemlength pov.

Offsets varies too. K1 ought to be 32mm. K7/8 28mm.

Have a search for “Sam’s fork chart” for more info, it’s legendary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TLRS said:

^^^ What he says.

Also note that the BPF forks from the K9 thou onwards are 50/55. I've no idea once we get into the more recent stuff though.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 6:32 AM, TLRS said:

Pretty sure 1000k1 has 207mm fork spacing. And if they’re 50/54mm forks, up to 1000k6 is 50/54mm and 207mm too.

1000k7/k8 is 50/56. If you don’t mind fiddling with lockstops/steering lock, get the yokes to go with it.. might slot in from bearing/stemlength pov.

Offsets varies too. K1 ought to be 32mm. K7/8 28mm.

Cheers 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coombehouse said:

Can I ask why you want to change the forks?

Rear shock, the k3 & k4 will fit but the length is slightly different. With an ohlins, this can be adjusted out. 

It would be for a better selection of calipers,  also I'm curious and I like to tinker.

Cheers for the info on the rear shock. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timbo S2 said:

I used Sams Fork chart when I changed forks on the srad - twice. K5 600 forks fit straight in, k7 750 forks needed a new bottom yoke (IIRC).

I assume you want radial calipers?

It's a thought for the future, also I need to get stiffer springs for my dainty body😊, so I wanted to know if fork springs would be interchangeable.

K3-6 Seem to be the same fork with a different bottom where the calipers attaches .

20 minutes ago, Timbo S2 said:

Think there’s a difference in fork lower diameter k6-k7 onwards. Need to shim about 1mm from memory. Or have cnc’d bottom yoke like I stupidly did...

The chart shows the offset as different on the k5-6 and the fork spacing being diffrent,  the k3-6 are 6mm shorter which should be fine given the amount of top showing on my k1. As a fork though k3-6 look to drop right in.

1 minute ago, TLRS said:

K3-6.. 600/750?

49 minutes ago, TLRS said:

Ah yes..all 50/54mm.. I think the k3/4 forks have bigger pistons, which was suggested as favourable. 

Bigger pistols?

Got it off the SV Rider forms probably 10 years ago when I did my fork swap. I've always seen it referred to as the "Sam chart", didn't know it had been edited.

On 9/11/2020 at 5:36 PM, Timbo S2 said:

Think there’s a difference in fork lower diameter k6-k7 onwards. Need to shim about 1mm from memory. Or have cnc’d bottom yoke like I stupidly did...

The correct answer to your problem was 'Harris'.