Home anodizing

Swarf

8 hours ago, Swarf said:

Anyone ever had a go at this? 

I've got all the kit, and I even went on a 'How To Do It' course. But I still haven't got round to giving it a go at home.

Yes I do it occasionally. Plastic tub, sheet of lead, battery acid & a model aircraft 0-15v variable power supply. Clean with brake cleaner, hot water & washing up liquid then in the tank for about 45mins.

Then  rinse in distilled water, seal it in boiling water for silver or dye it in black dye & seal. The parts have to be shiny before plating to get a nice finish. 6061 or similar seems to take the dye better than the proper aluminium stuff I like to use.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, coombehouse said:

Yes I do it occasionally. Plastic tub, sheet of lead, battery acid & a model aircraft 0-15v variable power supply. Clean with brake cleaner, hot water & washing up liquid then in the tank for about 45mins.

Then  rinse in distilled water, seal it in boiling water for silver or dye it in black dye & seal. The parts have to be shiny before plating to get a nice finish. 6061 or similar seems to take the dye better than the proper aluminium stuff I like to use.

Where do you get the acid from mate?