Modern bikes with drive chain on the Right Hand Side?

EXUPDEL

Most modern bikes have their final drive chains on the left. Can the collective wisdom of the forum tell me of any modern bikes that have the chain on the right hand side. Reason being I got a wheel from the Bay of thieves. It was listed as being for a cbr 6 but when it arrived its obviously not. Main pointer being the side the cushion drive rubbers are on. 

I want to sell it on and having a better idea of what it may fit would help enormously. Its 17" x 5.5"

5 hours ago, TLRS said:

Assuming it’s the cast curvy 5 spoke?

No its a BST 5 spoke carbon

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

For what sort of width tyre?

5.5" is 180-190 section. Not right for a 250GP bike, which is my only guess.

Unless it's from a shaft drive euro bike like a Guzzi or BMW. @EXUPDEL did it come with the sprocket carrier/drive hub? or just the cush drive rubbers.

Edited by nzknut

165 rear slick fits a 5.5" rear rim. last tzs had a 5.5" rear rim

Honda and aprilias were rhd, proper ones not the road dogshit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, porter_jamie said:

165 rear slick fits a 5.5" rear rim. last tzs had a 5.5" rear rim

Honda and aprilias were rhd, proper ones not the road dogshit.

Gotta be a late model TZ or RS wheel then. 

Key Dimensions are: -

It is 215mm across the spacers. The spacers are to suit a 25mm axle spindle.disc location diameter is 101mm

The disc face is 95mm from the centre line. There are 4 M10 tapped holes and are on a 125mm bolt circle diameter

The cush drive face is 90mm from the centre line. The 5 cush drive holes are 15mm diameter on a 100mm bolt circle diameter.

No spocket carrier.

Wheel 1.jpg

Wheel 2.jpg

Edited by EXUPDEL
add piccys

37 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Am I right in thinking that there was a supermoto with the chain on the right too?

That's what I was thinking but I know nothing about them. That or some oddball single or twin. The BMW 800 twins are rhs drive.

14 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

Key Dimensions are: -

It is 215mm across the spacers. The spacers are to suit a 25mm axle spindle.disc location diameter is 101mm

The disc face is 95mm from the centre line. There are 4 M10 tapped holes and are on a 125mm bolt circle diameter

The cush drive face is 90mm from the centre line. The 5 cush drive holes are 15mm diameter on a 100mm bolt circle diameter.

No spocket carrier.

Wheel 1.jpg

Wheel 2.jpg

How is that wheel directional?

does it matter which way it goes in the bike?

What am I missing?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

That's what I was thinking but I know nothing about them. That or some oddball single or twin. The BMW 800 twins are rhs drive.

My G650GS is R/H drive. Can’t see a BST wheel being from one of those though.

if you look closely at the BST label there are arrows. Also the spokes are offset and when I compare with my bikes they would be backwards.

I am not risk adverse so using 2nd hand carbon wheels does not worry me but I wont use it in a way it appears not meant to. Maybe something maybe nothing but I don't want to chance it. loads under acceleration, break and cornering are all different in load and direction. Its feasible that the carbon lay up will be different /specific to each of those loads in a specific direction so using the wheel backwards reverses the loads in a way the wheel may not be designed for.

Plus as a mate pointed out when I take it to have tyres fitted trying to get the fitter to put them on backwards is gonna be a ball ache at best.

Edited by EXUPDEL
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

if you look closely at the BST label there are arrows. Also the spokes are offset and when I compare with my bikes they would be backwards.

I am not risk adverse so using 2nd hand carbon wheels does not worry me but I wont use it in a way it appears not meant to. Maybe something maybe nothing but I don't want to chance it.

I was going to say turn the front around to match, but if there are direction arrows on the wheel, they are there for a reason.

1 minute ago, porter_jamie said:

can you unbolt the hubs and swap them over?

I think they are bonded on, the bolts are for anti peel.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, porter_jamie said:

can you unbolt the hubs and swap them over?

the bolts that hold the hubs on have the socket holes filled with resin. Also I suspect that they are bonded with adhesive in to the wheel for strength. Either ways to find out I am pretty sure it would wreck the wheel.

12 minutes ago, SWTH said:

My G650GS is R/H drive. Can’t see a BST wheel being from one of those though.

Thanks Just had a quick google and the 2009 bike had cast wheels so its feasible though a quick check on the HPS website doesn't list them for that bike

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Am I right in thinking that there was a supermoto with the chain on the right too?

Some early Husaberg’s.

Vertimati’s

VOR’s

• Like 2

the reason you put a direction sticker on a rhd wheel is when you drop it off at hardwoods or whatever for a new slick,.no matter how many times you say, chain on the right, they put the tyre in back to front. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, EXUPDEL said:

No its a BST 5 spoke carbon

Contact BST and ask them?

there should be a model number on the wheel.

Is there no chance of a refund?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Contact BST and ask them?

there should be a model number on the wheel.

Is there no chance of a refund?

I have sent BST an email. Will see what comes back. I did a cash deal outside of eBay so not really worth the hassle I am happy with the condition of it. The bloke selling it was doing so on behalf of his brother I dont think he had any idea what it was. I'll sell it on for what its cost me. Just want to be clear what bike its for

• Like 1

Do BST have a Service Center in Europe, I'm just wondering if they could swap the hubs over.

It's a beautiful wheel, using it would be a good idea. 

I'm guessing that the Drive side is expecting a sprocket with M10 socket head bolts fitted to the sprocket to provide the drive. Looks like a race wheel to me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mark/Foggy said:

Do BST have a Service Center in Europe, I'm just wondering if they could swap the hubs over.

It's a beautiful wheel, using it would be a good idea. 

I'm guessing that the Drive side is expecting a sprocket with M10 socket head bolts fitted to the sprocket to provide the drive. Looks like a race wheel to me.

I did wonder but that is getting whole worlds of pain for BST. From their point of view ts better for them to sell brand new wheels with a warranty than modify wheels with unknown history's. If a wheel they have modified collapses or fails who is liable? Sorry state of affairs of the world we live in I am afraid

Ive messed about with a carbon wheel before thinking I would be able to remove the hub and replace it with one I have turned up to suit my bike but the hubs are bonded into the rim. I got as far as talking out the threadlocked screws. 

I was hoping to adapt this one by turning up new wheel spacers and making a sprocket carrier. you can buy the drive pins as spares so that easily fitted into the carrier.

Tractor? Sportster?

chain ones have the chains on the rhs?

4 bolt disc is early Husaberg.

@Gix

Any ideas??

Edited by Thunderbolt
Sportster
  • Like 1