Yamaha R1 4XV temp sensor.... Ffs

srad34

Hi all, can anyone tell me which sensor is specifically for the 4XV digital temp display on the dash?

Mine for as long as I can remember states 'LO' all of the time. It seems to run fine, fan kicks in etc but don't know which sensor (thermostat body or radiator)

I am a tight get so don't want to replace both, not made of money ffs... ๐Ÿค”

Ideas on a postcard ๐Ÿ‘

Edited by srad34

Rad sensor isย the fan. Usually.ย 

16 minutes ago, srad34 said:

Hi all, can anyone tell me which sensor is specifically for the 4XV digital temp display on the dash?

Mine for as long as I can remember states 'LO' all of the time. It seems to run fine, fan kicks in etc but don't know which sensor (thermostat body or radiator)

Ideas on a postcard ๐Ÿ‘

Earth each one in turn to see if they change the output.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Earth each one in turn to see if they change the output.

Yes, I can do that but need to open here up, just wanted to know which one so I can order in advance from Yamaha ๐Ÿ‘

On 8/14/2020 at 8:55 PM, srad34 said:

Ideas on a postcard ๐Ÿ‘

@srad34 it's right at the back of my brain but as it's been many years but here's what I remember: on the 4xv R1 the set up is as follows:

located in the front radiator is a temp sender AND a fan relay switch thingy (technical term).

from memory it's under the radiator cap on the RHS of the rad.

one of them, the temp sender IIRC, has an earth wire.ย  Also IIRC, if the ground wire isn't connected, or the wire breaks, it will read 'Lo' - so check that.

On the following 5JJ (2000-01) model, Yamaha changed the format and combined both into one thermo unit. The radiator, wiring and clocks are different in this aspect.

lots of people think they are the same in this respect, they are not and the components are not interchangeable.

I found this out as I bought a front sub-loom for the track set up which was from a 5JJ and when put on my 4XV the clocks said 'LO' on the temp display.

if yours is running fine, and the fan is kicking in etc, I would suggest the temp sender is the one to look atย 

Edited by MonkeyJim
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to you all, after lots of fannying round, it appears the old favourite white connector was the cause. The green/red wire from the sensor turned to dust due to corrosion so whilst it went into and came out of the connector block, it was fubarred. Quick bypass wire with solder sorted it....awesome, I now have working temp reading ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 4

13 hours ago, srad34 said:

Thanks to you all, after lots of fannying round, it appears the old favourite white connector was the cause. The green/red wire from the sensor turned to dust due to corrosion so whilst it went into and came out of the connector block, it was fubarred. Quick bypass wire with solder sorted it....awesome, I now have working temp reading ๐Ÿ‘

Great, that was going to be the next thing I was going to say to check.ย  Glad you're sorted

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyJim said:

Great, that was going to be the next thing I was going to say to check.ย  Glad you're sorted

Its only taken about 6 years lol

• Haha 1