Hella Help

Mark/Foggy

So I'm working on Cupcakes headlight cluster, but hit a stumbling block

EpHrM8il.jpg

The adjusters are ball ended,approx 7.2 mm, which is odd in itself.

So I rammed some holes in my Carbon plate and expected the ball to fit into the supplied clips.

DisQXdel.jpg

Only they don't click in

Now you can't get the clip onto the threaded adjuster rod itself because the through hole is smaller than either end of the adjuster.

Also the clip doesn't really have a n internal profile that would retain the ball anyway.

EkA6pd7l.jpg

So, I'm at a complete impass.

Anybody think of a retainer that I could push into service here??

Or am I just being monumentally thick?

13 minutes ago, 426hemi said:

Mine became loose on my rsv so I put lock wire round them to pull them tighter.

So, does the rsv use these clips or are the Priller ones worth a look?

I am kind of thinking that I've seen a receptacle that has a tabbed E clip that would be appropriate, but I have no idea where I saw it..

Same clips, maybe the heat over the years relaxes the clip, it was really awkward to get the lock wire around it but it did work or you could try some bacofoil  round the ball end to make it bigger.

I can't even get the ball to locate and retain. I've tried in a couple of hole sizes, the landing on the exterior diameter of the clip is for a thin material, so it should work, but genuinely not working for me.

It needs a different solution. I'm casting around for ideas.

I think your missing some parts.  Ill have a look at a similar set of hella I have tucked away.

4 minutes ago, HOGG said:

Drill a little hole in the end of the ball and then once in the clip, get a little tiny screw in the hole. 

Good thinking batman, but I'm sure that there must be a proprietary solution out there, 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Superdunc said:

I think your missing some parts.  Ill have a look at a similar set of hella I have tucked away.

Thanks Dunc, something is nor right here. I have the clips that mount the adjusters to the shell, which are a strange single use moulding that comes pre mounted on the adjuster screws, but all of the supplied components came out of  single bag.

@Mark/Foggy Is the clip tapered at all? I'm just wondering if you need a smaller hole but assemble the clip onto the ball, then push the whole thing through so the front edge of the clip deforms and catches the ball?

Edited by Swarf
  • Like 4

Well, those clips have decided to not give me any purchase to hold the lamp, but will serve as as buckets to stop the adjusters moving around.

I'm going to P clip the board and use thick O rings to pull the adjusters back into the location. should make for a neat solution and be QD enough to make for a quick repair if needed.

• Like 1

Do the adjuster balls click in when the plastic isn't inserted into a hole? 

Could the plastic be designed to be screwed/bolted down with a countersunk and then the adjusters clicked in? 

Looking at the Hellas I hace which are the same design, it looks like it's just down to the size of the hole in the mounting plate.

It's a puzzle, they genuinely don't  grip the ball. Certainly there is a landing on the outside that closes the cup and that seems to like a 10mm hole. If you install without the ball end, closure of the top hat area looks excellent and you can't push the ball into the socket. install them assembled and the location is excellent, but it won't hold the ball captive, just the weight of the unit is enough to get all 3 to just pop out. 

What is annoying me most about this, is that I was working on these units pressed into service on the early TT Legends bikes and remember using some circular alloy plates that were welded into an upper Fairing bracket. Now I was only playing with some of this, not involved in the overall design of the assembly, but i genuinely don't remember how it all went together. Worse still it was a design that was used on some of the Classic P1 bikes before they went total LED, but in fairness I didn't do a lot of work on those Kawasakis, I was still messing around with Italians and Bultacos..

:angry: