Help identifying wiring connector

MonkeyJim

My original connectors have gone, cut off by Swiss Tony when the R&G tail tidy and shitehawk aftermarket indicators were fitted. 

I want to restore the original connector blocks.

From what I know, it's a 4-pin 2-row square-ish connector, either white or grey - parts 1 and 2 in the picture.

I think it could be a Molex (?) connector but I'm not sure exactly and can't really find it on this?  https://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/TechBull/SpareConnectors.pdf

tail-connector.png

Anybody got any suggestions?

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but I'm using these

Handy to have in the toolbox. 

image.png.2e01442feae518255e4231c0e0c319cd.png

Edited by trackdaybob
pic

44 minutes ago, trackdaybob said:

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but I'm using these

Handy to have in the toolbox. 

image.png.2e01442feae518255e4231c0e0c319cd.png

Thanks Bobby but I'm looking for the exact one, not any 4 pin.  

4 minutes ago, MonkeyJim said:

Thanks Bobby but I'm looking for the exact one, not any 4 pin

No worries, I did kinda think that.

How very Practical Sportsbikes of you.    

:getmecoat:

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, trackdaybob said:

No worries, I did kinda think that.

How very Practical Sportsbikes of you.    

:getmecoat:

yeah well the reason being,  I might need to connect in some resistors to correct the flash rate on the new indicators.

KTM do a part for this very purpose and it uses the stock connectors.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MonkeyJim said:

it could be.  It's not very clear

That is definitely it. Problem is, that's only one half of the connector. 

The other half is probably part of the main loom which is about 10 times the cost of that little subloom. 

1 minute ago, nampus said:

That is definitely it. Problem is, that's only one half of the connector. 

The other half is probably part of the main loom which is about 10 times the cost of that little subloom. 

Hi, sorry yes it is definitely it.  What I meant above was, that's not very clear what type of connector it is.

the sub-loom for the indicators & no.plate light is £27.  I've already got the loom, it's inside the stock whale-tail I've just put back on, mine is just minus the end connector.

The rear part of the main loom that it connects to is just £298.

hence why I want to try and identify the connector and buy them separately.

I spoke to the ever-helpful Trevor Pope KTM and they said they can get any of the connectors, but they can't help tell me which is which, I have to identify them in the KTM connector list 

which they freely admitted was not very much good at identifying them

4 minutes ago, nampus said:

IMG_20200717_181629_copy_1689x2252.jpg.2d52a03aba760bf3bcbbf158d66e0d84.jpg

Apart from the pin numbers the connector is not marked. But looking at the list you posted I'd put my money on connector FR

yes it does - any idea which is the other half of the connector then?

1 hour ago, MonkeyJim said:

yes it does - any idea which is the other half of the connector then?

That kojaykat link is for a pair, male and female and all contacts. That’ll solve your problem. 

Depending on the size of the Molex and Superseal contacts being used then a single tool could be used for crimping both if the sizes are the same or close to each other, just be careful it doesn't deform the contact.. But if they are significantly different sizes you may be better off buying a budget tool for each type..... depends on how often you''re going to be using them as well.

Kojaycat have a selection of crimp tools for non insulated contacts here :

https://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000457/Categories/Tools_CrimpingCutting/Crimping_Tools_NonInsulated

The ratchet style ensure that you are crimping the contact "properly", the ratchet won't release until enough pressure is put on the contact to make the joint and won't allow you to put too much pressure on the crimp squashing it so it won't go in the housing. A bit more expensive that the cheaper "manual" style though but great for cack-handed people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sev said:

molex connector for sure.  The Molex stuff always has the chamfer on faces to align properly.

if you need lend of a crimp tool just shout and I'll send you mine :)

I'm sure I've got some spare molex pins as well so if you balls up or want to try out a few first before committing your loom to surgery.

Thanks that's brilliant appreciate the offer - may well take you up on that, I'll pm you.

In the meantime a helpful fellow owner has sent me some pics of the female end which helps confirm it's a molex and also which wire locates where (I guess not essential to have them in oem positions, as long as they line up properly on either side)

received-225994035127689.jpg

received-322113532165001.jpg

received-744056123028862.jpg

• Like 2