Notchy chain

crasher76

Notchy and rumbling when rolling forward but smooth n silent when pushing bike backwards, being a tightwad would prefer to get a few more miles outta it if possible?

Flip the sprockets over and you’ll get the same mileage again. You can keep doing this almost forever or until the rear sprocket looks a bit like a brake disc...

Yup, sounds like the chain's not the issue, but slight 'shark tooth' wear on sprockets :eusa_think:

It's not good practice, but changing 'sprockets only' isn't expensive (assuming that sprockets can't be flipped around, if they're offset (e.g. front).

51 minutes ago, David W said:

Flip the sprockets over and you’ll get the same mileage again. You can keep doing this almost forever or until the rear sprocket looks a bit like a brake disc...

I may have done this on my Benly until it slipped like a slipping clutch 😁

• Like 1

In my student days I fitted a free (new) chain a mates dad gave me to the DT175 I used to do the daily 40 mile round trip to college .

It lasted 15 miles before it snapped and took out the crank cases. (Mates dad was printer, turned out chain was for some kind of printing machine)

More recently, decided the chain on the GSXR11 would stretch (ha) to another summer.

When that broke, it only took out the clutch slave cylinder and cover.

Don`t skimp on chains.

Edited by DougW
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VeeTeeArr said:

I had a chain snap on my GSX750f. It just hung itself over the swing arm without any damage to anything else.

Lucky !

Just now, DougW said:

Lucky !

I know. I was so lucky a bloke saw me pushing it and stopped his car to give a push to his mates house where he happened to have the correct size split link to get me home. 

• Like 2

Now I come to think about it that was quite a lucky bike, despite my mistreatment of it.

As well as the chain incident, I got stopped doing 90 in a 60 and was let off with a warning and another time after missing my braking and going straight on a bend at the Cat & Fiddle and riding off a 5ft drop at 60mph I was still able to ride the bike back home with only a cracked screen and broken mirror.

• Haha 1