Spoked wheel building. Where and what size?

tootall

Need to get a pair of wheels built for the sr500 tracker thing. I've contacted Central wheels but they've got a 12 week lead time at the moment, also been in touch with full circle who's lead time is better but after any personal recommendations. 

Next question is rim sizes. I'd been thinking about 19" front and rear for the full flat track look but fuck my old boots they're pricy. So thinking about getting a pair of 18s on there. Or shall I suck up the cost and go for 19s?

I'm not restricted on rim width due to forks or swingarm as am changing both so thinking either 2.5" or 2.75" any thoughts on this? 

Any proper bicycle shop.

I have done wheels in the past, it takes time and patience the first time, then after a bit of practice it takes less time.

It can’t be hard if I can do it. 

I would say try it yourself, you will learn a skill and add that to your portfolio of services.

• Like 3

Mt mate went through this palarver with his sr tracker. 

Got a local guy to build them but struggled like  fuck to get stainless spokes the correct length.

In desperation he phone Talon. He picked up exactly what he need from them the following day. Brilliant service. 

Not sure if they build wheels if you supply the hubs and rims though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

There's a good motorcycle wheel builder in Cowfold, West Sussex just down from where I used to live. He's got access to all sorts of supplies.

This is he.....

http://www.wheelwiseengineering.co.uk/services/

Heard good things too, go past there couple time a week, also these chaps if your near the Midlands, had a tour of their facilities few years back.

https://www.central-wheel.co.uk/

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 10:57 AM, tootall said:

Next question is rim sizes. I'd been thinking about 19" front and rear for the full flat track look but fuck my old boots they're pricy. So thinking about getting a pair of 18s on there. Or shall I suck up the cost and go for 19s?

I've just put spoked a 19" rim for my YPVS and i'm a cack handed buffoon, have a go yourself! You can always take it to a professional if you come unstuck....

i bolted the wheel into the bike to true the wheel up. made the hub nice and stable, and it was easy to find a bit of motorcycle to clamp a pointer to. There are several 'how to' videos on Youtube.

reasonably priced 19" rims are available , these have a weird inner flange :blush: either side of the spoke holes that can make tyre fitting a pain in the arse though.

Inner tubes suitable for a 140/80x19" are rare too.

I've got a Triumph Tiger 2.50 x 19" rim that's cosmetically challenged if you're interested...

what size rims are on there now? The Bridgestone AX41S has a nice tread pattern and come in a range of sizes....

https://www.bridgestone.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres/battlax/adventurecross-scrambler-ax41s/

bridgestone-battlax-adventurecross-scram

Edited by chrisexup