Cordless Impact Gun?

rusty

I’m looking for a cordless impact gun for using on the car.

Getting the rear caliper carrier bolts out to change the discs I s going to be a pain as they’re awkward to access with a socket and bar.
Using some top drawer man maths, I reckon it’ll cost at least £100 to get a garage to fit the pads and discs and I don’t really want to do that so if I put that £100 towards an impact gun I’m onto a winner (that’s if it actually shifts the bolts!)

So, the question is, what impact gun should I get for under £200?

Currently got my eye on one of these:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/power-tools-and-accessories/power-tools/ryobi-18v-oneplus-impact-wrench-starter-kit-1x2.0ah-826047.html

It looks like it’ll be up to the job of doing bits on the cars and I should be able to get it a bit cheaper than the price listed.

Any other suggestions?

29 minutes ago, rusty said:

Getting the rear caliper carrier bolts out to change the discs I s going to be a pain as they’re awkward to access with a socket and bar.

Surely if you can get a huge impact gun on the bolt, you can get a socket and breaker bar on the bolt. 

You need to spend more than £250 to get a decent impact gun....

I admire your man-maths, but I've never failed yet to get caliper bolts off with hand tools.

If access is tight, i find that a close fitting spanner clouted with a leather headed hammer gets even the most reluctant bolts undone.

10 minutes ago, bikemike said:

I admire your man-maths, but I've never failed yet to get caliper bolts off with hand tools.

If access is tight, i find that a close fitting spanner clouted with a leather headed hammer gets even the most reluctant bolts undone.

Caliper bolts themselves were fine,  they're just M8 bolts into the slider so come off with a 13mm spanner. 

The carrier bolts are tucked away nicely behind the rear shock and spring which makes it awkward to get a bar in to swing on. Just to add to the fun they're the annoying multi-spline bolt heads that VW/Audi/Skoda love to use! 

24 minutes ago, blow_away said:

I was gonna write some bollocks about 240v guns and the dewalt 18v I've got, but its all bollocks because Al is right, that ^ there is some proper spec gunnage and will undo the rotation of the sun if it had a nut on it. 

• Like 1

The machine mart ones are good and cheap. And the corded ones are even cheaper. Unless your going to use it lots then the cheap ones are perfect. 

@rusty

If you already have a good Li-ion battery drill, it'll be a lot cheaper to buy a bare impact gun of the same make and use your existing battery and charger.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ricey3 said:

The machine mart ones are good and cheap. And the corded ones are even cheaper. Unless your going to use it lots then the cheap ones are perfect. 

The cheap ones struggle to undo a full set of wheel nuts

Go big. There is no such thing as being over gunned. Dead is dead.

Blast those calliper bolts right off, as an example to the others (looking at you, over torqued axle nut).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnno said:

My 12 volt Milwaukee gear is amazing. I've had them doing stuff better suited to an 18 volt.

My 18 volt rattle gun is the big bruiser..  it will undo anything, even 42 mm head size nuts done up with a 6 foot piece of water pipe on a 3/4 drive socket breaker bar. Easily. 

We were dismantling a crane at West End on Monday. The mobile wasn't big enough so we had to split the slew ring in the air. Nothing battery would look at it. Eventually we roped up an air line and used one of these bad boys. https://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/ingersoll-rand-1-d-handle-impact-wrench-2850max.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwi_b3BRAGEiwAemPNUz7R4Gi7BC22bqtKFLWcx3C4cQ212j2tpXhrnyqlP9ixqI7c4b0eHhoCphcQAvD_BwE 

• Like 2

I didn’t realise the 12v Milwaukee stuff was that good. I’d briefly looked at the 18v stuff but it looked like quite a lump and was expensive. The 12v one looks spot-on.

I remember buying one of the first Snap-On cordless impact guns about 16 years ago, it seemed good at the time but was comparatively shit looking at the new stuff. Saying that, we were all still impressed at my work when I bought a 1/2” drive air gun and it would loosen steering drop arm bolts on a Merc Actros and they were about 800nm. Looks like some of the cordless stuff will do that now!

I have a machine mart one.

It is weak.

I also have a DeWalt 18v, it handles w everything on the car or bikes.

For serious shifting I use air.

I've given up on batteries, they give up on you. Usually only last about 18 months and then if you need new batteries the fuckers have changed the design.

Get a compressor

7 hours ago, rusty said:

I didn’t realise the 12v Milwaukee stuff was that good. I’d briefly looked at the 18v stuff but it looked like quite a lump and was expensive. The 12v one looks spot-on.

I remember buying one of the first Snap-On cordless impact guns about 16 years ago, it seemed good at the time but was comparatively shit looking at the new stuff. Saying that, we were all still impressed at my work when I bought a 1/2” drive air gun and it would loosen steering drop arm bolts on a Merc Actros and they were about 800nm. Looks like some of the cordless stuff will do that now!

My Milwaukee 18v impact gun is just over 1400nm and the new one is 1800nm.

1 hour ago, 426hemi said:

If that doesn't shift it, then either King Kong or Dave from Kwik Fit has done it up and the only option is a gas axe.

• Haha 1

Everyone has their own experiences, but I've been relatively unimpressed with Milwaukee and DeWalt stuff, and have gone wholesale over to Makita 18V. I've got quite a bit of it now and love it.

I have a few batteries for convenience, but the first two 3Ah batteries that I bought are now 7 years old and still used daily. The trick is to recharge them as soon as you notice the tool starting to slow - don't let then run down any further than that or you will kill them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 426hemi said:

You spin me right round baby, like a record baby, right round round..

Cheapo compressor with a 50 litre tank and a windy rattle gun FTMFW

2 hours ago, Tony Nitrous said:

The later years of Pete Burns, who was quoted from singing “You spin me right round”.

52579194-AEF4-468-A-A5-CF-53-E84315-A658

Oh the travesty :facepalm: Does it help if what i had in mind was done by Dope? The above might be too, but you know...

14 hours ago, sev said:

@wavey what was the mother o' the lordy gun that you recommended?

was it the milwaukee one above?

If it can blast off a ducati SSA wheel nut then its manly enough

https://www.kielder.co/collections/impact-wrenches/products/18v-li-ion-1-2-700nm-impact-wrench?variant=7323790213153